~Opinions~ discussion

Politics > Assisted Suicide/Voluntary Euthanasia

Comments Showing 1-50 of 257 (257 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What are your thoughts on this?

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Ehm, no. I don't think you should help someone kill themselves.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

But should it be illegal?

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yes, I think it should.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 28, 2010 03:17PM) (new)

I don't know if I should have been the one to post this thread because I'm not sure how I feel about this topic. I don't support assisted suicide, but my mind also tends to go to the darkest possible situation where someone would want to end their life, and then I think, "I'd at least want it to be an option."

But not for me. I love life :).

message 6: by Nate (new)

Nate I'm for it. We have the ability to end someones suffering, we do it for animals all the time and its considered humane. Why should a human have to suffer needlessly?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

That's where I'm torn on the subject. I wouldn't want people to suffer needlessly, but I also wouldn't want people to look at it as an easy way out, you know?

message 8: by Nate (new)

Nate Euthanasia by definition is -the act or practice of killing somebody who has an incurable illness or injury, or of assisting that person to die. Euthanasia is illegal in most countries.

I guess the real question is whether euthanasia is murder or mercy? It’s easy to say if you kill or assist in a killing in any way then it’s murder. However this is not your typical black and white, cut and dry subject matter. There is a grey area here to be defined.

Let’s take the 20 year old college student who was involved in a head on collision. She now lays in a coma, brain dead. She will be nothing more than a vegetable the rest of her living days. Yet because her heart beats and lungs breathe we feel the need to keep the machines running. The hospital is the only one benefitting from this poor girls tragedy. Thousands of dollars a day will spend to keep those machines going. The family grieves over the shell of what remains of this once vibrant young girl. But they are held in limbo unable to truly grieve a loss.

Then there is the man who suffers from 3rd degree burns over 70% of his body. His outcome is grim. He is in unbearable pain, begging to be set free. Yet we let his suffering continue. People should have the right to die with dignity, to leave this world in a more peaceful matter.

It is a common veterinarian practice to humanly euthanize animals who suffer from an incurable illness or traumatizing injury. And sadly some animals are euthanized just to clear up space in the shelters. (But this is a whole other topic to be debated another day)

So why is it that we think nothing of putting a dog or cat out of their misery, set them free of the hurt and suffering, while we stand by and watch humans agonize. Riddled with pain they are left to suffer to the bitter end. I don’t understand the logic behind this. I’m totally baffled.

If some unforeseen catastrophe were to befall a family member of mine. I’m not likely to stand by idly and watch them suffer needlessly. Not when the means to give them a peaceful end is available. Which brings us back to the question, is this murder or mercy?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, Nate. I agree completely. Very insightful.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments actualy nate i dont think killing animal even if we think we are helping em is humane....

message 11: by Nate (new)

Nate Fariha wrote: "actualy nate i dont think killing animal even if we think we are helping em is humane...."

I think its cruel to watch it suffer. Maybe cruel isnt the right word but I just can't see letting live in agony when you can give it (be it an animal or human) a peacful end.

message 12: by Nate (new)

Nate Candace (Amare Infinitum) wrote: "Wow, Nate. I agree completely. Very insightful."

Thanks. This is a deep topic.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments nate its not in our hands to determine who lives and who die

message 14: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Fariha, it may not be but is it morally right to let someone suffer when you could really end it?

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments but it still doesnt give us the right to determine who has a right to live or die..

message 16: by Nate (new)

Nate Fariha wrote: "nate its not in our hands to determine who lives and who die"

I see where your coming from on a relgious stand point. The whole 'Playing God' type of thing.
But on a side note I feel that if the powers that be have decided one is desedened to live then it will not matter what part we play. They will live, regardless of our efforts, right?

Idk. I just dont blv anyone should suffer needlessly.

message 17: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) If you were in a horrible, unbelievable amount of pain, and you knew you were going to die soon anyways but someone could just end it right then and there for you, wouldn't you want them to?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

This question wasn't meant for me, I think, but I'm going to answer anyway.

I'd at least want the option.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments no i wont... cuz than it would be suicide...anyway isnt pain and suffering a part of life?

message 20: by Nate (new)

Nate Fariha wrote: "no i wont... cuz than it would be suicide...anyway isnt pain and suffering a part of life?"

True

Technically its suicide however I think God meant that he didn't want ppl to just kill themselfs cus life is hard. But if death is near and inevitable, I dont think the gates of Heaven are going to close because you OD'ed on morphine.

message 21: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Yes but I don't think you really get what I'm asking... it may be a part of life but I'm not talking about everyday pain and suffering. This is the kind you are willing to die for. Just try to comprehend it...

message 22: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I don't really think it would be considered suicide because you technically aren't killing yourself...

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments well if death is near.. cant you wait for a few more mins or days?
@rowan...actualy i do get wht u mean..nd i still think that i wont want anyone to end my life...

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments @rowan...ur asking someone to kill you... how is that different from killing ur life...

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments sorry i meant killing urself*

message 26: by Nate (new)

Nate Fariha wrote: "well if death is near.. cant you wait for a few more mins or days?
@rowan...actualy i do get wht u mean..nd i still think that i wont want anyone to end my life..."

you make a good point. But why should that person be wrathed in pain for any length of time? When you can give them something that just puts them to sleep.

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael Nate wrote: "Euthanasia by definition is -the act or practice of killing somebody who has an incurable illness or injury, or of assisting that person to die. Euthanasia is illegal in most countries.

I guess ..."

Well said, Nate. I agree with everything you said.

message 28: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) But why should you have to wait that amount of time, if all you're going to do it suffer and wish you were already dead? It's not really like if someone is going to put you out of your misery, it's really going to effect anything...

message 29: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) That is a good point, but you don't even have to ask sometimes. It's like when someone is in a coma and the family decides to pull the plug... people just know when to let you go sometimes.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

If I was in a persistent vegetative state with no hope of ever recovering, I would want my husband to let me go.

message 31: by Nate (new)

Nate Michael wrote: "Nate wrote: "Euthanasia by definition is -the act or practice of killing somebody who has an incurable illness or injury, or of assisting that person to die. Euthanasia is illegal in most countries..."

Thanks

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Because if you're in a persistent vegetative state and machines are keeping you alive...then you really aren't alive, at least in my opinion.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments @nate.. you do have a good point...however a murder is a murder no matter how you put it..

message 34: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) No I don't agree with that Fariha... Killing someone is murder definitely, but, using Candace as an example, if her husband pulled the plug, there is no way I would consider that murder. It's a personal decision for him to make and no one should judge him because of it.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments am not saying i judge people who prefer to go in that directiong rowan...am just sayin its my personal belief that killing sumone even out of mercy is not right...
and anyway how can you not be sure that a person might not recover frm his or her comatose state???

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha, Rowan. Have you got something against me? :P

message 37: by Nate (new)

Nate LOL Rowan Killed Candace

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't I get a eulogy?

Nate, give me a eulogy since you laugh at my death :P.

message 39: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Well obviously I'm not a doctor, but I'm fairly certain that they would be able to tell. And while I totally believe that miracles can happen, the chances of the person coming out of a coma like that, still intact, is very unlikely.

message 40: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Candace (Amare Infinitum) wrote: "Haha, Rowan. Have you got something against me? :P"

Maybe ;)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

*frowns and sniffles*

:P

message 42: by Nate (new)

Nate But some people can remain in a coma for years. There body may be alive but the person you knew & loved isnt there. Its EXCEEDINGLY rare that someone recovers from a coma after years. & in the mean time the family is stuck with a finacial burden (may not seem realvent but it can be a stresser) Also they are stuck in a linbo unable to grieve or move on.

BTW I SUCK @ SPELLING ...get use to it.
lol

message 43: by Nate (new)

Nate Candace (Amare Infinitum) wrote: "Don't I get a eulogy?

Nate, give me a eulogy since you laugh at my death :P."

I'll have it for ya tomorrow

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments "LOL Rowan Killed Candace"

hahhahhaha!!!

@rowan...actualy in most of the cases its impossible to tell whn the person mite get out of coma!

p.s candace... i thot u were one of us now.. u cant possible die let alone go in a coma!! :P

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

*raises eyebrow impatiently*

I'll be waiting, Nate. :P

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments @nate
its rare but it happens...plus if your meant to die while being in a coma..you will die on ur own
nd also everyone sucks at spelling...well except for the spelling bee winners..but who cares about them! :P

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I care :), but I'm biased, because I could have been one of them :P.

message 48: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Yeah but still, what Nate said...

I just don't seem why you should prolong the inevitable (sp?) especially when the family is mentally and emotionally ready to move on, and the person is suffering? It just seems inhumane to me.

message 49: by Nate (new)

Nate Candace (Amare Infinitum) wrote: "*raises eyebrow impatiently*

I'll be waiting, Nate. :P"

pressure is on.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

You spelled it correctly, Rowan :).

« previous 1 3 4 5 6