TV We've Just Watched discussion

Cult Series > The Walking Dead

Comments Showing 1-50 of 235 (235 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Is anyone else looking forward to ZOMBIES on television? The Walking Dead premieres on AMC on Halloween night at 10:00 PM Eastern. I watched the trailer that's at the bottom of the article I've linked here and it looks really good. I look forward to discussing it with all you zombie fans here on Goodreads!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/3983830...

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine I can hardly wait. Has anyone read the comic books? They're great!

message 3: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I'm not a comic book reader, but I may have to pick up these to see what's going on. I read comics as a kid, but haven't read anything for many moons.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine They've consolidated them into I think six volumes now. I've been picking up the odd graphic novel from time to time and its an interesting change of pace from your typical novel. Going into the comic store makes me feel like a teenager and I figure its a cheap way to make me feel younger. Much cheaper than fancy creams and plastic surgery. Haha You might be surprised at the quality of the artwork and writing of the newer comics. Most are definitely not for kids.

message 5: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments My daugher was a big Sandman fan. I've never read the graphic novels, but I love Neil Gaiman's novels. She is also a fan of the Watchman graphic novel, and I have looked through those. The art work is quite good, and, as you say, definitely not for kids.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine Did anyone watch it last night?

message 7: by William (new)

William (wilbarr17) I watched it. Enjoyed it very much.

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine I did too. It was a little slow in the beginning but the action sure did pick up.

Have you read the comic books? They stuck to them for the most part.

message 9: by William (new)

William (wilbarr17) I am not up to date on the comics. The last one I read was POSSIBLE SPOILERS.......when Rick and Carl are reunited after leaving the prison.

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine SPOILERS.....You are obviously a lot farther than I am. Watching the series has given me the incentive to finish up the books. I bought the last 2 volumes yesterday. I have finished thru Book One (hardback edition) when they arrive at the prison for first time.

Its a gruesome series but I love it!

message 11: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Watched it last night, and I really enjoyed it. I agree, Christine, that it was a little slow in the beginning, but by the time he (SPOILER) work up in the hospital and started walking around viewing the devastation in the town, I was hooked. I'm really looking forward to next week's episode. I believe it's only scheduled for 6 episodes. I read, however, that it opened with the highest rating of any AMC series, so that should encourage AMC to continue it beyond 6.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine Wow, only six episodes that's hardly any. I would imagine its expensive to make, just in make-up alone. The zombies are gross.

message 13: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments AMC has renewed the show! Yay!

http://theclicker.todayshow.com/_news...

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine That is so cool. Thanks for the update!

message 15: by Monika (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 45 comments i'm not a comic book reader, but i love zombies and i do love this show thus far!

though...i thought that zombie's can't climb..lol

message 16: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments I am so glad for Zombies, I cant stand all those Abercrombie and Fitch vampires of late. Time for something new in horror.

Im hooked on this new show. So glad AMC is going to renew the show for next season.

message 17: by Laurie (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 29 comments "I cant stand all those Abercrombie and Fitch vampires of late. Time for something new in horror."

I actually like True Blood because of all the pretty monsters, it's a guilty pleasure after a long stressful week. But I've really been enjoying The Walking Dead because the people look like real people and the monsters are truly ugly. It's very slow and character driven and a nice change of pace. I'm so glad it's been renewed. I thought for sure it would be canceled.

message 18: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments AMC said they were renewing the series for another season. Apparently they have gotten really really great ratings, unlike Rubican which has been canceled.

message 19: by Monika (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 45 comments This show is just amazing!

message 20: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments Season two will have 13 episodes, unfortunately it wont be aired until next fall.

message 21: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Can't believe that it's over after this week's episode until the fall! Rats!

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine It seems like all my shows are ending this week. I guess that means my reading time!

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I really wasn't impressed by it. I doubt I'll be watching it next season.

message 24: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments The New York Times said the series has been getting higher ratings than Mad Men on Sunday night.

It seems the series will devote more time to character development now that they know they are coming back next season.

message 25: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Read an article where the guy in charge said he wished they had killed off more people this season, so we can probably expect to see a lot more go next year. But wasn't that explosion that destroyed the CDC awesome?

message 26: by Monika (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 45 comments i just looked up the comic (http://www.comicvine.com/the-walking-...), and there are already many changes to the storyline... which happens a lot when things go from print to screen, so they can get creative...

I think there are definitely more characters that aren't plot focused that could have been "killed off" because we really don't care, but they could have done the same thing with LOST...the series can focus on main people, but it doesn't need to put a main focus on the random's who are just along for the ride (aka to be saved)...So I don't think they necessarily need to be killed off especially if killing them off doesn't accomplish anything besides "killing them off"

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine Myra wrote: "....But wasn't that explosion that destroy..."

Yes, it was. I'm a pyro at heart!

message 28: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 143 comments I read an interview with the creator of the comic book. He said he wasn't sure how long his comic was going to last when he first started having it published; consequently the action in the comic book is very fast paced; he wanted to get rid of as many lose ends as possible. He has said the TV show gives him a lot more time to develop characters and plots that he never did in the comic.

message 29: by Angie (new)

Angie This show rocked. And you know what? The number of episodes were perfect. I feel that if there had been a lot more it would've been too much and people would've lost interest.

message 30: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 69 comments I loved this show. I can't wait for more.

message 31: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Anyone know when it's coming back?

message 32: by Holli (new)

Holli This comes back in October

message 33: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 69 comments Can't wait!

message 34: by Ειρήνη (new)

Ειρήνη Same here!

message 35: by Holli (new)

Holli Scoop: Walking Dead's Fresh Meat Revealed!
by Andy Patrick

Remember how Walking Dead exec producer Robert Kirkman previously told TVLine that the show’s survivors would meet a bunch of new characters when they stumble upon Hershel’s Farm in season 2? Well, now we’ve found out who at least a few of them will be!
According to some just-released casting intel, Hershel himself is a vet — as in a veterinarian, not a veteran (that I know of!) — a Wilford Brimley type, though I don’t think a mustache of legendary proportions is mandatory for auditioning actors. His daughter, Maggie, sounds like a younger version of Andrea with better horseback-riding skills. (Ginger Snaps’ Katharine Isabelle, call your agent!) Finally, there’s Otis, the middle-aged ranch foreman who’s such a sweetheart that he all but loses it when he accidentally shoots a fellow survivor.

message 36: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Thanks for the info!

message 37: by Holli (new)

Holli You're very welcome :)

message 38: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 133 comments My husband and I finished up season 1 last weekend and we can't wait for season 2.
I was (view spoiler)

message 39: by Holli (new)

Holli (view spoiler)

message 40: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments SUNDAY NIGHT 9:00 ET, 8:00 CENTRAL!!! YAY!!!

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky | 186 comments okay anyone catch this? I really don't like zombie stuff, but this show has me hooked its such a great survival show!

message 42: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I recorded it but haven't watched yet. My daughter was watching it in her room when I knocked on her door to ask a friendly question and almost had my head bitten off for interrupting. I'm going to try to watch before the next one airs.

message 43: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments I watched it last night and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. I suspect we're going to be looking deeper into the characters and I'm looking forward to that aspect of the show. And a good zombie attack never hurts, either!

message 44: by Holli (new)

Holli This has been renewed for another season......

message 45: by Christine (new)

Christine Already......that's awesome. This season is better than the first!

message 46: by Myra (new)

Myra | 406 comments Yay!

message 47: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments i really disliked the first episode this season. so much so that i've taken a break so that i can watch the second episode with a better attitude.

my main problem: too much speechifying! it was like every 5 minutes, a character had to explain exactly what they were about, what they stood for, yadda yadda yadda. i'd rather see them show, rather than tell.

that said, i totally loved the first season so i am hoping my sour grapes are going to be confined to that first episode, and that the rest of this season improves. please let it be so!

message 48: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 133 comments mark wrote: "my main problem: too much speechifying! it was like every 5 minutes, a character had to explain exactly what they were about, what they stood for, yadda yadda yadda. i'd rather see them show, rather than tell. ..."

I agree! and what the heck was up with Rick wanting to keep going and leaving Carl? That just seemed ridiculous. I almost wanted Shane to knock him out.

message 49: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 133 comments Ia anyone watching the Web episodes?

message 50: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments did not know they even existed! new material?

« previous 1 3 4 5