Chicagoland Vampires discussion

Once you've finish the series > Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep Group Read & Discussion

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meredith Barrons (last edited Oct 28, 2010 11:43AM) (new)

Meredith Barrons | 280 comments Mod
Hi! We are going to be doing a group read starting on Nov 15th of the first Elemental Assasin book, Spider's Bite, by Jennifer Estep!

message 2: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 487 comments Mod
dont u mean november 15?

Ummmm yeahh..... I just fixed that!! ha ha

Hi. So did anyone start reading yet? I am about 200 pages into the book and can't wait to discuss!

message 5: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 21 comments when will you start discussing after your finish reading the book? Or do you have comments now?

message 6: by Mariya (new)

i haven't started it yet. i will be starting it in a few days when i finish my other read. but how is it so far?

message 7: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 21 comments I have read it before and I am skimming thur it again sort of reading it again but I was hoping to start discussing. I am too reading another book but i put it down to start this one again. I have read the first few chapters. As usual it is a paper turner it will take me a few days to complete reading in between work/job.

I figured everyone could start reading it on the 15th and then we could go from there. It is fine to start discussing it now just post Spoilers ahead if it contains anything that might ruin it for someone else!

For anyone who is almost through the book... What do you think of Donovan? I get that he is hot but he seems like kind of a dud, and not the best cop! I wish he were more kick ass but we haven't really seen that yet!

message 9: by valee (new)

valee Hey Mer, sorry I am not joining you guys but I have so many books to finish this month that I just can't add anymore. Let me know what you think of this book.

message 10: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 21 comments I have read the book so I know alot about Donovan Caine. I think he's hot just from Gin's description. I think and it also states in the beginning of the book he's one good cop that does not take brides, lies but stands for what he believes even though he is aware of what goes on around him by fellow officers. I like how from the first moment when they met on the roof of the opera house how they both checked one another out. Gin was just imagining what she could do to him or what he could do for her. Steamy....

Anyone else have any comments?

message 11: by Meredith Barrons (new)

I see what your saying about him being hot, but I just wish he were tougher or more take charge or something. I am just feeling like something is missing! It is annoying that he didn't know all the bad stuff his partner was up to. I want Gin to tell him! Hopefully it will come out by the end of the book! I am almost done!

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie (angie_c) | 8 comments I agree with you that he needs to take charge. I just finish the book and it felt like Gin was the one in the driving seat all the way. I do get the feeling that something is missing too. Maybe is because all the conflicting feeling for his partner... What do you think about Gin ??

message 13: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 21 comments Okay I agree the book verbally boast of how good a cop Donovan is but when he hooks up with Gin she's making all the decisions but why wouldn't she since she is the main character and everything surrounds her. I like Gin I'm trying to think of another character that i can compare her too but I definitely see a trend, head strong, patient, determined, gets what she wants and skillful and a thinker. She knows what has to be done in order to get the results she desires.

message 14: by Meredith Barrons (new)

I think Gin is kind of an Anita Blake type. At least in the early Anita Blake books! I like Gin and I feel like she has been through a lot in her past that has made her so tough, and she doesn't kill innocent people. It kind of annoyed me that Donovan hasn't figured that out yet. How could he be so clueless about his partner? He has also said some things to Gin that I didn't like. I think he needs to get off his high horse! ha ha

message 15: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 21 comments I like Anita Blake but I'm having diffculty remembering the specific's but they could be compared together in the earlier books definitely not now though. I'm just now thinking of Elena the were in Kelly Armstrong books and Mercy from Patricia Briggs they were both women who could take care of themselves. Yeah Donovan was hard on Gin in the beginning. He was not around his partner 24/7 therefore he was not aware people act different when they aren't around people they know and think no one is looking. Gin has started the process that he should think that not everyone is a saint like him. Look at his Captain in the story. What you think about Finn??

message 16: by Meredith Barrons (new)

I really like Finn. I think he is so cute and funny even though he is a player! It is a shame that Gin thinks of him like a brother! I know they slept together before but it would be nice if we could get some flashbacks on that! ha ha

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie (angie_c) | 8 comments I love Finn too. I know he is like a brother to Gin but I kind of like him better than Donovan:{ I will love to see some flashbacks too!!

message 18: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 21 comments I agree I would have liked to hear the circumstances surrounding that encounter. Was it just once or repeatedly? I get the impression from the book that Finn isn't the type to fall in love and stay with one woman or he has not found the woman yet to where he might just stay with. He has friends that's it. Since I am re-reading the book I almost forgot about the scene between Donovan and Gin at the club at Roslyn's place Northern Agression when she sat in his lap and grind herself against him and had a heat kiss and when it looked like they were going to take it a step further the phone rang. I like how Donovan is trying to ignore his feelings/interests in Gin and she just up's the stakes. I do not know if anyone else is finish since it seems like it's just you (Meredith), me and Angie who is commenting i thought at least 14 others said yes to this group read well we've got the weekend if people are still reading.

message 19: by Meredith Barrons (new)

I got the impression that it was repeatedly between her and Finn. There is something about Finn that I found so cute. I guess some of the other people haven't finished the book yet? C'mon guys! Read up so we can discuss! I am already halfway through the next book Web Of lies!

message 20: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) I've read all that are out at the moment but I'm not sure I can discuss without spilling spoilers all over the place. It's just so tempting. ;)

message 21: by Mariya (new)

I am almost done with Spider's Bite, but wow. It has been a hell of a busy week...and ugh. gotta work black friday...but so far I kinda like it and don't like it. it's a mix really. I liked Cain, the detective but I am getting sick o his attitude towards Gin. It really pisses me off. I really like Finn, but how can anyone not like him. I think on of the reasons I like the book is b/c of Finn. He adds humor to the book and if he wasn't in the book I probally wouldn't really like it.

message 22: by Meredith Barrons (new)

Amy or "Ames" wrote: "I've read all that are out at the moment but I'm not sure I can discuss without spilling spoilers all over the place. It's just so tempting. ;)"

I am halfway through Web of Lies now and wish we could discuss!

Mariya- I agree that Donovan's attitude is annoying! It isn't getting any better in Web of Lies either. I am just not sure what Gin sees in him!

message 23: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) Meredith Barrons wrote: "Amy or "Ames" wrote: "I've read all that are out at the moment but I'm not sure I can discuss without spilling spoilers all over the place. It's just so tempting. ;)"

I am halfway through Web of..."

Just wait till the end of Web of Lies! Venom is brilliant, best of the series! I'm so looking forward to Tangled Threads.

message 24: by Mariya (new)

I just finished spider's bite last night, I won't be reading the second one til a bit later. I have to read Spirit Bound ( I know, Can't believe I havent read it either..haha. but wanted to read it closer to the release of LS) and RM is coming for a signing (screams! yah!)

but I have heard that readers love Venom. and after the cliffhanger I am really eager to read the next one in the series. But, god Donovan pisses me off so much, he is so dense. He has spend quite a bit of time wit Gin and still asks, why did you kill my partner?? god. I really don't see what Gin sees in him. And he treats he so bad.

message 25: by Meredith Barrons (new)

I agree Donovan is an idiot... I am getting the feeling that there will be another love interest coming into play soon so fingers crossed!!!!!! I can't wait for Last Sacrifice! I am so excited!!!!

message 26: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 21 comments Okay I just finishing reading web of lies and its 5:30am. I am going to sleep for awhile before I start Venom book 3 which I will be reading for the 1st time. I do not like the way Donovan treated Gin is some ways or outside of the sex scenes but from her description of him I see the attraction but I now like the next guy who is intersted in her and he's making an effort to persue her and she doesn't have to seduce him to get his attention. He already made it clear that he wants her. He says that he did digging into her past and I think he knows about her. Sorry it over for her and Caine but I more than ready to see how this new guy tries to sweep her off her feet. As for her and Finn they are family and I think they both think of one another as siblings. What they had when they were kids was just sex neither was serious about each other thus that's why they won't hook up now or ever. Finn always been a sly talker she explains how her first encounter happened, he just wanted to get in her panties.

Last Sacrifice? Is that another future book in this series?

message 27: by Mariya (new)

yah! a new love interest. So , do you like this new guy?

Last Sacrifice is the last book from the Vampire Academy Series.

message 28: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 21 comments Yes, and I cannot wait to they go out on their first date which is soon but I have not gotten that far yet in the book.

Oh - that's written by Richlle Mead isn't. That series sounds interesting but it seemed like it catered to young adult/PG type stuff. I might pick it up and read it since it does seem to be a favorite here on this site. Do you recommend?

message 29: by Mariya (new)

hell yea! like i seen it a year a go but hadn't picked it up til a couple of months ago, and it is like why hadn't I read it sooner. I think a large number of people could recommend it to you. the last book comes out next week so it will be completed. Richelle Mead really does not let you down. I have read at least book 1 in all of her series and they are really good.

message 30: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 21 comments Cool.....Maybe I'll buy the series then.

message 31: by Mariya (new)

after I read book 1, I bought all of them, and believe me when i say this you need to kinda have the whole series within you possesion when you finish some of the books starting at book 3 and onward their are major cliffhangers and if you don't have the next book it will drive you insane. good thing I had them. hehe.

message 32: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 21 comments Okay I'm sold I'm gonna look to see if I can buy to my kiddle. I do like Mead I have her Storm series and dying for the next book.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan (sknelson) | 6 comments Anika wrote: "Okay I'm sold I'm gonna look to see if I can buy to my kiddle. I do like Mead I have her Storm series and dying for the next book."

Everyone should read her sucubus series also. It is great!!

message 34: by Meredith Barrons (new)

I loved Storm Born and Thorn Queen and am dying for the next one!!! I haven't read the Succubus series yet. I heard mixed reviews on that one. Definitely try her VA series. It definitely isn't written like YA if you ask me and it is addicting!!!

message 35: by Mariya (new)

I am reading spirit bound now. It is breaking my heart.

message 36: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 21 comments Hey we all should be discussing Venom. I've got about 120 pgs more to read and I will be done. I want to talk about the book now but don't want spoil it for those who have not read it but oh how I like Gins' new friend. :-)

Succubus series by Mead I saw that but had flash backs to Anita Blake series by LK Hamilton and while i have read the whole entire series it seems like she's sleeping with everyone and it does not feel like love, or passion but lusty and control for her. So, that's why i was reluant to read the Succubus series. The storm series is the only one thus far that she has not written alot for. But I am gonna read her VA Series i just thought that might have been like the Twilight series G/PG and i like a little R, NR in my book now and then like her Storm Series.

So come on people lets finish this book to talk about them all.

message 37: by Amy (new)

Amy (fantasydream3) | 3 comments Hi, everyone! I'm late to the discussion, but I just got my hands on the three Elemental Assassin books and will start reading them soon.

As for the Richelle Mead series, I've read all her books so far and love all of them. I like how she really explores the emotional depth of her heroines. At first I was wary of the Succubus series too, but after reading it, I find that I really enjoy the story! Although Georgina has to sleep around because she's a succubus, there are love and deep emotions involved with her main love interest. There are a good plot twists to her story, so it's definitely not a light read; there's a lot of depth and layers to the story, as with all Richelle Mead books. The story is actually very interesting, so I really recommend reading the Succubus series!