Books on the Nightstand discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 9 comments Do you guys think there is a category of books that could be considered something like "Ivy-leaguers behaving badly?" I just finished The Secret History, and I'd put Special Topics in Calamity Physics in that category as well (even though I think that's high school). Are there others? Books that focus on a group of elite young students who somehow connect wealth, beauty, and education to danger and crime? Just curious!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Katie wrote: "Are there others? Books that focus on a group of elite young students who somehow connect wealth, beauty, and education to danger and crime? Just curious! "

The Rule of Four (by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason) is a title that immediately comes to mind. It's about two boys at Princeton who attempt to decode a 15th century text and find treasure... More than a DaVinci Code knockoff, it's really a book about obsession.

message 3: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 130 comments Tanya wrote: "Katie wrote: "Are there others? Books that focus on a group of elite young students who somehow connect wealth, beauty, and education to danger and crime? Just curious! "

The Rule of Four (by Ian ..."

Much better than Da Vinci Code and most definitely obsessive. The Deas Poets Society -- though I came to it via the film as opposed to the book and it isn't exactly Ive-leaguers but the equivalent, I think. At any rate, I believe the story still fits.