Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Wars of Light & Shadow--Fugitive Prince - first impressions NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (last edited Oct 29, 2010 09:24AM) (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Here's the official kick off for the in depth discussion of the first volume of Arc III, The Alliance of Light - Fugitive Prince.

A word about the 3rd 'stage' of this epic story, Alliance of Light - expect the story to shift thrust. Readers in sequence saw the seed placed at the ending of Arc II, Warhost of Vastmark. New readers: DO NOT PRESUME THIS IS A NEW STORY. While some readers attempt to start here, it is not the beginning of the story. Rather, the angle of intent changes. Each of the main characters take a different course, due to what they have learned, or experienced, in the last finale.

What to expect: each book will have the (now established) two phase punch: first climax/build to finale. HOWEVER: there will be some staging because this arc takes the story to WORLD VIEW as well as deepening the characters and conflict.

All the titles are 'two word' marquees - there will be multiple meanings to them; and also symbolic shades of meaning.

Fugitive Prince is Act I. It will gear down, just as an opening act would - if the pitch and intensity will step back, appropriately, from the climactic pitch of Warhost, what you will get is unveilings, and the view through the cracks on questions you wanted to know in earlier volumes, but there was no story space to demonstrate them.

Expect that ALL FIVE VOLUMES in this arc are one story - and they will build, tipping point, and converge in the bigger picture. So what seems an innocuous detail, now, won't be, as the story unfolds.

This designed shift is not sprawl, or dissipation, so stick with patience, not presumption. I think there are enough readers who've run the full gamut to reassure you. I hope by the time we get to Stormed Fortress we can hold the pace of the discussion because the action and unfoldments come at a scorching clip. Enjoy the deep breath, now - and - for later, get braced to hold onto your hat.

Here's your chance for first impressions, or to say what favorite books you've loved, and to ask IF the readers here think you might like to plunge in, or not.

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Janny wrote: "Here's the official kick off for the in depth discussion of the first volume of Arc III, The Alliance of Light - Fugitive Prince.

A word about the 3rd 'stage' of this epic story, ..."

To me, the changes in the new arc are refreshing but seamless. Same story, different angles.

message 3: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2354 comments Mod
Haven't had a chance to start it yet, but it's next on the list as soon as I finish The Native Star :)

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I'm into the third chapter set, so I hope to be able to join the main discussion soon.

You know what I noticed first. The horrible publishers have reduced the font size, so there is more for me to read in the same number of pages! :) That actually freaked me out for a moment since, as much as I am loving the series, I remain a bit intimidated by the size of the books.

Having just finished the rapid paced finale of the previous arc, I am making a point of reminding myself that we are back into the building phase here and things are likely to be a bit slower.

message 5: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kerry wrote: "I'm into the third chapter set, so I hope to be able to join the main discussion soon.

You know what I noticed first. The horrible publishers have reduced the font size, so there is more for me ..."

Kerry - slower isn't exactly precise...plenty will be happening. A LOT of the questions left from arc I and II will see answers here, the depths will deepen dramatically. It is the pitch of the tension that will step back a bit.

MAJOR issues will slow down in resolution, while underpinnings and other tensions will leap to the fore. It is a shift in focus as the world view emerges and you see that MORE angles than you thought impact the characters' choices. When the double gearing meshes - the emergent sets of epiphanies roll into convergency, the tension on the major issues will go dimensional and become dramatically heightened.

The climactic bang of ARC III will be a lot more dramatic. Every scene slots another layer into place, so the tension will twine together and make the events huge - and moving towards epic in scope.

There will be PLENTY of drama in the book - as each arc increases, deepens and tightens the focus on the major issues.

So when the series resolution finally comes, it will reshape and shift your awareness, and even, your opinion of the events that take place in Fugitive Prince. Nothing wasted.

Font size - yeah - ;( - sigh. And Fugitive Prince, actually, was the shortest of the manuscripts in page length.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (varmint3) | 34 comments I'm a third of the way into the second chapter set, and enjoying the pace and the story so far, though Lysaer is really getting annoying in is manipulation of the events and people around him... given that so few people seem to be able to "see through" his strange charisma, I'm wondering if there is something magical about it? Not sure if "magical" is the right word, "unnatural" maybe?

The font size would not have been an issue at all even two years ago - now, though, my eyes are starting to tell me I'm not as young as I used to be =) I bought my first pair of reading glasses a couple of months ago & had previously only really used them reading nasty minuscule spreadsheets at work - now they're getting a workout at home too =)

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Michelle wrote: "I'm a third of the way into the second chapter set, and enjoying the pace and the story so far, though Lysaer is really getting annoying in is manipulation of the events and people around him... gi..."

This one's available in eformat from Books on Board, if that makes a difference. I got it because I couldn't read the smaller print.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Kerry wrote: "I'm into the third chapter set, so I hope to be able to join the main discussion soon.

You know what I noticed first. The horrible publishers have reduced the font size, so there is more for me ..."

Kerry, did you see my post about getting it in eformat? From Books on Board?

message 9: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments Thanks Sandra, yes I did. I'll probably get a copy for future rereads. But this first time through I'm going to stick to the paper editions so I can go slowly and use my post-it notes.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Kerry wrote: "Thanks Sandra, yes I did. I'll probably get a copy for future rereads. But this first time through I'm going to stick to the paper editions so I can go slowly and use my post-it notes."

Oh yes! How could I forget the post it notes?! Maybe you can find a magnifying glass :)

message 11: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I'm managing okay. I can actually see better up close without my glasses, so I just take them off when I'm reading. The trick is not to lose them after that. It's kind of hard to find your glasses when you can't see because you can't find your glasses. :)

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Yeah, the trick is finding them without hearing a "crunch" under your foot.

message 13: by Sandra (last edited Oct 30, 2010 08:42PM) (new)

message 14: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Kerry wrote: "I'm managing okay. I can actually see better up close without my glasses, so I just take them off when I'm reading. The trick is not to lose them after that. It's kind of hard to find your glasses ..."

I have mine on a neck cord, so I can't lose them 'cause they're dangling from my neck. Also I have several pair lying around the house so I can always get to one.

message 15: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2354 comments Mod
Kerry wrote: "It's kind of hard to find your glasses when you can't see because you can't find your glasses. :)"

I've learned never to take my contacts out when I don't know where my glasses are... definitely have had those occasional times when I've had to temporarily put them back in to search, since I can't see a thing without my correctional lenses!

message 16: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3317 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "... though Lysaer is really getting annoying in is manipulation of the events and people around him... given that so few people seem to be able to "see through" his strange charisma, I'm wondering if there is something magical about it? Not sure if "magical" is the right word, "unnatural" maybe?"

I just started this book last night and have read 2 of the 3 chapters in the first chapter set. I agree with Michelle and felt that way about Lysaer in Warhost of Vastmark as well. That feeling is stronger already in this book. Very early in the book someone mentions that the war is the result of the Curse "implanted" in both Lysaer and Arithon, and although it is noted that this has been pointed out before, Lysear dismisses it. He is so blind to himself, and that blindness already has caused such carnage and destruction.