Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > How smart is your city?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mary...

Mine was tenth last year, but fell to twentieth this year.

I'm a little annoyed that adult nonfiction book sales count more than other books somehow.

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Oct 27, 2010 12:27PM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Detroit - 43rd. It's all been downhill since Ted Nugent moved to Texas.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments We're not big enough to be listed. I have a feeling that it would be pretty high though.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have a feeling we're pretty dumb. Let me check.

Hey, we're fifteenth! Not bad, not bad...

1. Boston, Mass.
2. Hartford-New Haven, Conn.
3. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Calif.
4. Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
5. Denver
6. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Wash.
7. Austin-Round Rock, Texas
8. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minn.
9. Washington, D.C./Arlington-Alexandria, Va.
10. Rochester, N.Y
11. Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, Ore.
12. Kansas City, Mo.
13. Salt Lake City
14. Philadelphia/Camden, N.J./Wilmington, Del.
15. Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, Wisc.
16. New York/Northern New Jersey/Long Island
17. Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, Ohio
18. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, Calif.
19. Columbus, Ohio
20. Baltimore-Towson

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Not bad, for cheese eating cow tippers, RA!

Of course, Seattle beats Milwaukee. Even Portland beats Milwaukee. :)

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I feel insulted way over in Madison :-)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments No need, Jim. Madison's way cooler than Milwaukee. Everyone knows that! ;)

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Oh good!

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Whatever....you know what Jane Lynch says....

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Whatever....you know what Jane Lynch says...."

Doesn't mean I'm not well-read, too, RA.

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments My town (LA) is 31st in intelligence, but #1 in large breasts, and fortunately I am superficial enough to relish that.

message 12: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Raleigh is 4th!

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Rochester beats NYC. Never would have guessed.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Only because they included New Jersey in with NYC, Jonathan.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh, slam on Jersey!

message 16: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Snookie alone could have knocked us down several ranks, I bet.

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh definitely.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24359 comments Mod
I like the way the article doesn't reproduce or even link to the list. Kind of dumb, Sun. Even at the Daily Beast I see no list, just a gallery of pictures.

I also like the way they consider nonfiction smart, but fiction dumb. You dumbass Melville, Joyce and Dostoyevsky readers.

Chicago is neck deep in the dumb.

message 19: by Ken (last edited Oct 27, 2010 03:42PM) (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I like the way the article doesn't reproduce or even link to the list. Kind of dumb, Sun. Even at the Daily Beast I see no list, just a gallery of pictures.

I also like the way they consider non..."

Weighting fiction and non-fiction in such a way in fact does mean that the “city” reading FIFTEEN RULES FOR DATING OUTSIDE YOUR SPECIES, or MY FIFTY YEARS PLAYING CANASTA or HAIR DRESSING FOR SMURFS or HOW GOD CAME INTO MY LIFE AT EIGHTY MILES PER HOUR IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERESECTION is smarter than the city appreciating BROTHERS KARAMAZOV AND FINNEGANS WAKE.

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) My city thinks it's smart. It calls itself "The city of trees and PHDs." I'm not kidding.

message 21: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Where are you from Joanne?

message 22: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) Red, I'm from Claremont, CA.

message 23: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) woohoo Denver! We have a relatively young average age with a lot of college grads. is this poll for smart or smart-ass? either way I believe we would make the top 5!

message 24: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments San Diego is #18. That picture they used is Balboa Park. It's right darn purdy!

message 25: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments >>Since I'm not in a US city, there's not chance I'd be on that list.<<

I am but there's no chance that we would be so honored. One of our candidates for governor recently told the president to "shove it" when asked why he wasn't given an endorsement by the president when he stopped by our venerable state. I believe our city/state is now on the President's list.

message 26: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Having lived in Raleigh-Durham for 2+ years, all I can say is that there are some dumb motherfuckers living there. After all, that's where Jesse Helms was spawned. But both Duke and the University of North Carolina are located there.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Does 9th St. still have a lot of bookstores? The last time we played there I didn't have a chance to walk around but we drove by and it looked like it had been yuppified.

message 28: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Jan wrote: ">>Since I'm not in a US city, there's not chance I'd be on that list.<<

I am but there's no chance that we would be so honored. One of our candidates for governor recently told the president to ..."

I love that your candidate told Obama to "shove it!" :)