75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive (Intros & General) > Children's Books Suggestions...

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch Hi All! I have a niece who is VERY picky about what she reads. She is 9 years old, and everything we point out to her she isn't interested in. However, she used to read Magic Treehouse (a little below her reading level now), and she is currently enjoying the books by Kate DiCamillo such as Because of Winn Dixie as well as the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what she might like to read? I know she doesn't like mystery books (at least she won't try them) at all. I just want her to continue her love of reading, but she seems to read the same books over and over rather than finding news ones to enjoy. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

message 2: by Jenn (new)

Jenn You could try Harry Potter or Percy Jackson, though they might be a little too high for her, Im not sure how much she reads, you know. Maybe Series of Unfortunate Events? Or Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix? Im just thinking of books I wouldve loved at that time and/or still love.

message 3: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch I'll suggest them and see what she says :) ...I'm not sure if they would be too high or not...I know that she reads all the time, is in 4th grade, and has almost a 6th grade reading level...does that help? lol

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn If thats the case, then yes they'll be the right level =D.

message 5: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4124 comments Mod
Stacie, I think there are some tween book groups on here, you might get some suggestions from looking at what the kids are reading.

message 6: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2933 comments I too would highly recommend the Harry Potter and the Percy Jackson books. I SO wish they had been out when I was a 4th grader struggling to find something challenging to read (I was almost on HS level by then..very frustrating for everyone!). Also, The Mysterious Benedict Society series is REALLY great (not really mysteries per say...they have GREAT adventures). Shakespeare's Secret by Elise Broach is a GREAT book.
Hope this helps!!

message 7: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 287 comments I'm not sure about reading level, but The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is great. I know I would have loved it if I'd read it as a kid.

message 8: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (15wuh1) Okay,seeing as I was a 9 year old not very long ago(2 years),I will just take a look at my shelf to see.

1.All the Roald Dahl books, loved by almost everyone,but if she reads all the time,maybe a little too easy and she might have read them.
2.The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.I was reluctant to read it first(the cover doesn't exactly scream very good book),but then one day I read it when I was bored, and couldn't go anywhere,and I absoulutely loved it!
3.Charlotte's Web.I think she might have read it though.It's a classic.
4.The sister's Grimm by Michael Buckley.Modern life mixed with real life fairytale people.'Nuff said.
5.Most books by Jaqueline Wilson.I personally recommend 'the story of tracy beaker',that one was truly brilliant.
6.Harriet the spy.
7.The series of unfortunate events.Simply hilarious,yet mysterious.
8.Artemis Fowl series,though this book isn't to everybody's tastes.
9.Horrible Histories/science.Okay,not a fiction,but still funny and you do learn stuff.
10.Harry Potter,of course.I wasn't going to add this as I saw that most people had put that in,but who can leave out Harry,Ron and Hermyoninnie(victor's pronounciation,not mine)!She will like it.

Hope this helped!

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I would also love to suggest for her anything by Justin Richards. I discovered him at the library a year or two ago and he's a terrific writer :).

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch Thanks everyone! I'll have to make the suggestions to my sister, and maybe pick up a few at the library for her! :)

message 11: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Hayley, these are great suggestions, thanks for sharing! Many of us are doing a childrens/YA reading challenge so the ideas will be helpful.

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 265 comments I like to do read-alongs with my 10-yr-old (turned 10 in Feb) granddaughter, as well as recommend books to her and follow what they are reading in her class. We both just finishe A Dog's Life: Autobiography of a Stray by Ann Martin and loved it. She, also, loved the first Harry Potter and will continue with more this summer. I may try and reread those with her. She wants to start on The Chronicles of Narnia soon. Oh, and Roald Dahl is a favorite with both of us.

message 13: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Kathy, I think it is great that you are so invested in helping her read. My mom was like that with me and it is something that will always be an important memory and a specil gift for that I will have for life. I'm really enjoying rereading my childhood books as well as exploring new series like Lemony Snicket.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 265 comments Thanks, Andrea. I read with my kids, too, and I think it's one of the most important activities to share. I still enjoy talking about books and reading with both my kids (grown). My daughter and I laughed today when she mentioned that there were books all over her house, and then she said, wonder where she got that from and looked at me. Of course, I have to give my mother credit for teaching me that reading was something valuable to do with one's time and giving me the opportunities and materials to read a lot.

message 15: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

that's sweet Kathy, I really enjoy to learn how other people came to their love of reading.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa James (sthwnd) | 259 comments I would definitely second recommending Narnia, & the Percy Jackson series. My boys have read them & liked them, & I read them right along with the boys & enjoyed them too. I would also recommend something more ambitious for a girl with a reading level 2 grades above her, like The Secret Garden, Little Women, possibly the Laura Ingalls Wilder Little House books, although she might find those too easy for her. The American Girl series would be beneath her reading level, although they are good books, I read them with my youngest daughter when she was that age or a bit younger, she's 18 now & in college. If she likes animals, what about The Black Stallion series? My youngest kids are 13 & 11, so I'm right there with you. A series my 13 year old started at her age was the Silverwing series, about a little bat. I read it along with him & it was cute, as well as having adventure.

message 17: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I've really enjoyed the children/YA book challenge this year. I have to say that I'm kind of bored with them at this point but I'm going to finish the last 20 or so I need to read to meet my goal this year.

message 18: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Vetsch Andrea- Here are some YA books I really enjoyed this year that you might too. So far I haven't been bored with YA novels, but I think I've been reading more YA than children.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman After by Amy Efaw Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann Hourglass (Hourglass, #1) by Myra McEntire Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1) by Sara Shepard Crank (Crank, #1) by Ellen Hopkins The Beginning of After by Jennifer Castle Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Liar by Justine Larbalestier Bitter End by Jennifer Brown

message 19: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Thanks so much! I could really use so help as I try to strugge through my last 20 YA/children's books :) Some of these I have heard of before but I have not read any of them.

message 20: by Ivy Sarah (last edited May 20, 2012 01:27PM) (new)

Ivy Sarah Moe (ivysarahmoe) For a 9 year old I'd suggest The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins. I suggested them to my aunt for my cousin who is around the same age and he loved them.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.