Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > The 'You Wouldn't Want To' Series - Fun history/non-fiction for kids!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 8423 comments Mod
Chandra wrote: "I'll have to check those out too Abigail! I'm all for getting kids excited about history. I have a long sad story about my own history education. Abbreviated version is that I *hated* history al..."

I've always loved history, so much so that the boring history classes at school did not diminish it for me. I actually considered majoring in history at college, but my parents talked me out of it (they thought it would be impossible to get a job, which is funny because it's a heck of a lot more difficult getting a good and interesting job with an advanced degree in German literature).

One of the things that sparked my interest in history as a child were the Asterix comics (which I read in German and in English, only later I discovered the joys of reading them in French). I know that the stories are not exactly historically accurate and some of the jokes etc. will likely be lost on the young, but these comics really got me interested in the history of Rome and the early history of Europe. There is also a Newbery (not sure if it won the medal or was an honor book) that I want to read and that will likely appeal to children interested in history, Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village.

message 2: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 6156 comments Mod
Chandra wrote: "I'll have to check those out too Abigail! I'm all for getting kids excited about history. I have a long sad story about my own history education. Abbreviated version is that I *hated* history al..."

SO true, Chandra! I grew up loving historical fiction because it really made history come alive, it made it about people (characters) that I truly cared about. Textbooks--blah! This series sounds wonderful for younger kids. I think it's important for children to get a sense of history even at young ages. Thank you so much for posting.

message 3: by Manybooks (new)

Chandra wrote: "It *seems* to me that there are more options in terms of historical fiction for kids these days - what with the Magic Tree House, Dear America, and similar series."

One of my favourite series (even as an adult), is the "Dear Canada" series, it even has a few books on how to use the novels (in diary form) in the classroom. You should try the Asterix comics, Chandra, but read them yourself before trying them with your daughter (and the earlier ones are the best, when the original author died and the illustrator started writing and illustrating the books, the quality of the writing really suffered, in my opinion).

message 4: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Gundula wrote: "You should try the Asterix comics, Chandra, but read them yourself before trying them with your daughter (and the earlier ones are the best, when the original author died and the illustrator started writing and illustrating the books, the quality of the writing really suffered, in my opinion)."

Is this the first book in the Asterix series?
Asterix the Gaul? Thanks! :-)

message 5: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Chandra wrote: "Ha ha! My history degree feels pretty useless most days ;-) My husband has fared better with his masters in history though. But I still have no regrets - I've always been glad I pursued something that was interesting to me vs. what would be financially lucrative. And I bet you feel the same way! "

Oh, totally!!! My Masters in Liberal Arts, with an emphasis in Religious Studies, hasn't landed me any super lucrative job, but it enriched my life SO much! (I got my BS in Business for the "real world" and hardly ever use that either, haha!)

message 6: by Manybooks (new)

Kathryn wrote: "Gundula wrote: "You should try the Asterix comics, Chandra, but read them yourself before trying them with your daughter (and the earlier ones are the best, when the original author died and the il..."

"Asterix the Gaul" is the first of the series.

message 7: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks!

message 8: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Looks like another good series to check out :) Good idea to let us know :D

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Ack! Ack! Ack! More books I'm tempted to add to the list. All new to me except for Goodreads. I thought the "enriched" kids I've known have been, but now I see how much more is available. Such a plethora of wonderful books. I love history and historical fiction and always have.

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee (leekat) Thanks for bringing these books to our attention Chandra. I'm going to check them out for my daughter too!

message 11: by ☼Bookish (new)

☼Bookish in Virginia☼  (ren_t) Chandra wrote: "I have to give a shout out for this very fun series that we've discovered recently.

We started with [book:You Wouldn't Want to Live in a Medieval Castle!: A Home You'd Rather Not Inhabit|5985381..."

Wonderful Chandra, my kids are probably going to love those.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Chandra, It does sound interesting. My real world book club read a book where one of those voyages was a part of the book, and no, you wouldn't!