The Vampire Diaries discussion

Debate Square > Debate it!: Book Katherine Vs Television Katherine

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

Graziella (grazia) | 1453 comments Mod
Obviously the Katherine that is on the television has more of a role in the series then she did in the book. Although in the book she is kind of manipulated into being the person she turned out to be in the end. Or rather I should say vampire.

In the tv series she is more manipulative and cunning and was always like that...although in the episode Memory Lane she seems to show her human side a little bit. For an instant...when remembering stefan's words of love.

message 2: by Caroline (new)

Caroline SANTOS (zailyn_caroline) | 12 comments I like the Katherine in the tv series.... she has more striking personality... and more fun...

message 3: by Miss Silvertongue (last edited May 19, 2011 12:43AM) (new)

Miss Silvertongue (misssilvertongue) | 113 comments There's a huge difference in their personalities. They're both manipulative and cunning but I think Katherine Pierce is smarter, she knows what she wants and how to get it, while Katherine von Swartzchild was just childish.

Yeah, I like Katherine in the tv series better. :D

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (betweenmypages) Katherin von Swartzchild was a little ameatur, she wasnm't as...devious and seductive...in the tv show Katherine has many tricks up her sleeves, she really knows how to twist the Salvatores and anybody else, she seems like a more developed character

message 5: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

Yeah I agree...she was childish...but then again she was quite young when Klaus turned her into a vampire wasn't she? I can't recall the exact details..ect...

Miss Silvertongue (misssilvertongue) | 113 comments But she would've had 500 years to grow up... :D

message 7: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

That is true...in stead she turned evil. LOL

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jennifersbooklist) | 10 comments Television Katherine. In the books they're always comparing her to a kitten, and talking about how innocent she was. She was very immature in her attitude towards the brothers, believing that they could all live happily ever after. Then she went all Fatal Attraction on them, for daring to love someone else when she'd only been "dead" for 500 years.

Television Katherine is a classic bitch. She knows it, she likes it, and she uses it to her advantage. As she's always saying, she's in it for herself. She's refreshingly evil, with none of those pesky redeeming qualities to get in her way.

message 9: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudia0895) | 11 comments Television Katherine totally whips Katherine in the book because although I love the novels her background and how she went from good girl to bad is so kick a**, literally, but they do have a lot of similarities.

message 10: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

That is true...we only get a glimpse of why Katherine in the book turned evil. Because of Klaus of course....a deranged vampire lol

In the show they actually played around with Katherine alot.

to their advantage it works..lol

message 11: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

There was a drawing of her and her parents? I know...it is kind of a sad story...maybe she just acts like that because of what happened back then?

message 12: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crystalways) | 31 comments Cindy wrote: "haha. Yeah, Klaus turned Katherine into a psychotic vampire. But I think the reason as to why we don't see so much of Katherine is since one, she's crazy, two, she's evil, and three, she's under th..."

I think it's maybe also because she's dead. I guess the creators of the tv show like Katherine so much that they don't want her dead.

message 13: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

oh yes, I remember that episode. it was one of those moments that you actually see her feeling shine through..you know. She has had a few moments like that as well.

message 14: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

The Episode itself is called Katerina :)

message 15: by Gigi (new)

Gigi Smith (forevershadowhunter) | 40 comments Tv katherine is meaner and more dangerous the book katherine. I think tv katherine has more guts than book katherine.

message 16: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crystalways) | 31 comments Gigi wrote: "Tv katherine is meaner and more dangerous the book katherine. I think tv katherine has more guts than book katherine."

I know. Book Katherine was just hysterically crazy.

message 17: by Graziella, Mrs.Bourne (new)

lol its true though! lol Klaus turned her psychotic I think.

No problem Cindy.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Healy (majessticon) | 21 comments I agree with Cindy. I think TV Katherine is much more developed than the Katheriine in the books. All of LJ's characters tend to be fairly one or two dimensional, which is why I think the tv series is (and will, in the case of the secret circle) work so well; there's a strong inkling of what's at the heart of a character, but a TV series has much more time and resources to expand on that. Katherine in the books never really made sense to me, beyond being the necessary big bad.

Also, I like that the TV series is explaining why they look so alike. That was totally glossed over in the books.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jennifersbooklist) | 10 comments I'm with Jessica. I really like the whole mythology behind the Katherine/Elena resemblance. It's the whole impetus behind Stefan's being in Mystic Falls and the subsequent events, yet at the same time it has a purpose completely apart from the Salvatore brothers. In the books it's just, wow, they look alike, how weird, and that's it.

message 20: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean I like the Katherine in the Tv Show. Shes more evil and funny