NaNoWriMo 2012 discussion

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

How do you guys come up with good character names/ objects/ etc.? I like making them up, and was wondering if you guys have any tips. Thanks!

message 2: by Adris (new)

Adris (adristl) I steal 'em or make variations of real names. Or I mix up words and make 'em sound nice :)

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) I always thought I was a little weird to collect baby name books when I saw them cheap (and so did that one guy who thought it must be so we could pick out names for all the children we were going to have ... *shudder*) - but then I found out a lot of writers do the same thing. Especially the ones with names from around the world - lots of fun to shop through.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

http://www.behindthename.com/

This is a website I use often to find names. It has so many to choose from, and gives you some origin information about them as well. It's been a big help to me in the past.

message 5: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) I just pick what sounds right. I never make up my own character names. With the exception of last names, maybe. Even if I did write fantasy, though, I wouldn't make up names. I figure it's best to choose something that people have probably encountered before, so they don't have to spend any time figuring out how to pronounce it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I use both...I'm just having troubles with making up names for objects and such ):

message 7: by Myth (new)

Myth | 19 comments I'm no good at making up names. I use the baby name finders.

I found one that seems kind of funny, but I think it's useful, especially if you don't want to sort through a lot of names.

http://www.momswhothink.com/baby-name...

If you scroll down past the text, there are these boxes labeled like, "Names for Future Lawyers, cow boys, truck drivers, etc..."

message 8: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) That's awesome, Myth! I personally use babynames.com to find names if I can't find one that seems to fit a character. Most of the time, though, their name is part of who they are and so it's one of the first things I find out about them. My characters tell me so much about themselves... :D

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Adris wrote: "I steal 'em or make variations of real names. Or I mix up words and make 'em sound nice :)"

Omigosh!I totally do that.I have to say though I like looking in the dicionary and using words that make absolutely no sense. :)

message 10: by Josette (new)

Josette For this November I needed a last name of an Australian character and looked up common British and Australian last names online. Then I looked up traditional ones. Didn't find a name I liked, so I just picked anything, regardless of whether or not it was Australian. Then just yesterday I changed him to an American who wishes he was British.

As for first names, I don't like to make up names. I read a fantasy story a friend wrote with all made-up names, and half of them were so hard to pronounce it slowed down the reading for me. If you make up a name, at least make it sound like it could be a real name. Also, think about the heritage of your character and area of the world they live in--this will influence what name they have.

I generally go with unusual but not weird names. It's unlikely that a bunch of people with really weird names (your characters) would happen to meet on the street one day (in your story.) Some different names I've used are Darby, Cashton, Ashlyn, Ygnacio del Valle (my husband's real-life ancestor), Eamonn (a former classmate's name), Thachary (which I got from the movie "Hocus Pocus"), and Emmory.

Good luck.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I've used Light,River,Airon,Olive,Arissa and Jersey.

message 12: by Josette (new)

Josette Something else you could do is give your character a nickname that doesn't make any sense. Like, if it his real name is Charlie, his nickname might be Isaac. It could add another whole dimension (as well as humor) when you explain how he got the nickname.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (mashley310) I look up names and find something I like, whether it's 'cause of meaning or just sound, but I try to make it at least sound like it's from the right culture.

For example, I have two Indians named Shadi and Haidar, and somone from Norway (I think...) named Jae.

message 14: by Madeline (new)

Madeline my cousins name is Shadi...

whenever i heard/read a name i like, i write it down until i have a character that fits it

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwormlove666) | 5 comments Madeline wrote: "my cousins name is Shadi...

whenever i heard/read a name i like, i write it down until i have a character that fits it"

^^ I totally do that too! I have like lists of names that I've heard on TV, or in classes or something that I love & I'll eventually use them haha.

message 16: by Dovewing (new)

Dovewing I always use a baby name website where I can search meanings. For places... that's where I call on my friends.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Yes. Babynames. USE IT.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the name Morgan alot I just don't want to be confused if my character is a boy and has sort of a bisexual name.

message 20: by Josette (new)

Josette Isabella wrote: "I also love the name Celeste."

Me too. Just decided yesterday to use that name in my book for the sister of one of my main characters. I use the French pronunciation, though.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Omigosh.I love the name Haden.

message 22: by Dovewing (new)

Dovewing My charrie's name is Aviyah.

message 23: by Elliott (new)

Elliott Asiyah.M -Your still an innocent- wrote: "Omigosh.I love the name Haden."

I like the name Hayden better. :)

message 24: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 10 comments I'm really into kind of unusual names. My main character is named Luna, and the guy she's dating is named Teague.

message 25: by ♥ Regan ♥ (new)

♥ Regan ♥ (rubber_duck) | 7 comments I make up names.
xD
Really weird ones too.
Like Vaena is one of my personal favorites.
They there's Naemiad.
Yeah, really weird, fairy like names.

message 26: by Roma (new)

Roma | 5 comments It depends, for my SF-series I do make up the names, as well, but for my historical fiction, situated in WW2-Holland, I use existing names that are somewhat old-fashioned, like Toos and Miep.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I make a list of sounds or letters I like, then build off of that.