ModCloth's Shelf Life discussion

Past Contests > Who's your favorite literary heroine, and why?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ModCloth (new)

ModCloth | 49 comments Mod
If you tell us who your favorite literary heroine is by 11:59 PM EST on November 8th, you'll be entered to win a copy of our November Book of the Month!

message 2: by Karina (new)

Karina | 1 comments My favorite literary heroine is Hermione from the Harry Potter series because she's smart, nice, brave and funny. I think she's a good role model for girls.

message 3: by Sophi (new)

Sophi (sophisn) | 2 comments My favorite literary heroine is Sophie from The BFG by Roald Dahl. As a sassy young girl with glasses named Sophi, reading a book about a sassy young girl with glasses named Sophie was positively exhilarating. I admired her determination, bravery, and independence. I was jealous of her Britishness and her adventures. She was everything I was proud to be, and everything I aspired to be or wanted to be, too.

message 4: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1 comments The first one to pop into my head was Katniss Everdeen (from the Hunger Games Trilogy), whom I loved from the start because of her family loyalty, bravery, intelligence, and her ability to kick ass!!

message 5: by Jessiqa (new)

Jessiqa | 2 comments Esmerelda Weatherwax (AKA Granny Weatherwax) from the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. She won't take any crap from anyone no matter how important or powerful that person may be. She's clever and sneaky and has a very rigid view of good and bad and tries daily to keep herself from drifting over toward 'bad.'

message 6: by Ratana (new)

Ratana | 2 comments My favorite literary heroine is Sookie Stackhouse from Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels. She is plucky, southern, hilarious, sassy, smart, and not your average hero. She gets hurt, she heals up, and she learns how to forgive and also how to dish our just desserts. I love classic heroines from Jane Austen or Eilonwy from Lloyd Alexander's chronicles, but no one has more character and spunk than Sookie!

message 7: by Leah (new)

Leah I agree with Stacie. The first one to come to mind is Katniss. I think she had it all. She was humble, strong, smart, and apparently very beautiful. I love her determination. She is the WOMAN! :)

message 8: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 2 comments My favorite heroine would have to Nymphadora Tonks from Harry Potter.
I'd always thought of her as some mix between Luna (For being so odd), Hermione (for being smart) and her own blend of awesome.
She's a good role model for being a brave Auror, who's job is to get in dangerous situations and come out alive (well, living in the case of Moody), but still having time to be fun in the fifth book. I also like her because she retained a soft side for Lupin instead of just being tough all the time.

message 9: by Guen (new)

Guen | 6 comments I second Ratana--I love Sookie Stackhouse and Jane Eyre! I love Sookie for being badass and not taking anything from anybody--even supes!--and I love Jane for being hardworking and independent at a time where it wasn't acceptable for a woman to be.

message 10: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 3 comments Yes to Esme Weatherwax, Jessiqa! She is completely awesome.

message 11: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 4 comments My favorite heroine is Esther Greenwood (The Bell Jar). I really felt for her and the story is an amazing revelation of how mental illness is a disease.

message 12: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (nylonadmiral) | 2 comments Pretty much any of the females in Harry Potter, Hermione, Tonks, Mrs Weasley... I love that Rowling writes such strong women, who are strong in such different ways. Even though Harry is the primary focus of the book he would never succeed if it wasn't for that strong network of female characters surrounding him.
I'd love to say Eli from Let the Right One In, because Eli is such a mix of contradictions and emotions and really highlights how many shades of gray there are-nothing is purely black and white. Although Eli doesn't quite meet all the criteria for this question...

message 13: by Annettemelissa (new)

Annettemelissa (annettelovesbooks) | 2 comments Oh, I would absolutely have to say Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice! She is strong, bold and is such an awesome literary heroine. Not to mention that her life is written upon the pages of one of my favourite books by one of my favourite authors of all time!

message 14: by Galen (new)

Galen (galenrcrawley) | 2 comments So glad so many people have mentioned Hermione already! She's definitely my favorite, too. Besides being the smartest character in the series, she's also one of the bravest, most loyal, and open-hearted. She's also the most politically aware, and she's devoted to promoting social change. And most importantly, she refuses to compromise herself for anyone - even the boy she likes (and it can be HARD not to compromise yourself for The Guy!).

I feel bad for young girls who are growing-up with Bella Swan as their "main heroine." Bella's entire WORLD revolves around her boyfriend, and without him, she has nothing. I love Hermione because she is a full, whole person even without Ron - her relationship may enhance her life, but it doesn't define it. And in all the years she doesn't have a boyfriend, she's still the smartest, most devoted friend in the world. I'm so happy I grew up alongside such a strong, powerful young woman.

message 15: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (brandell) | 7 comments The first one that popped in my head was Jane Eyre (but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I totally wanted to be Hermione growing up). I love Jane for this quote: "I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man...Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour; stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth? They have a worth-so I have always believed...preconceived opinions, forgone determinations, are all I have at this hour to stand by: there I plant my foot."
I mean, how awesome is she? Talk about having integrity. I want to be as strong as that. There I plant my foot.

message 16: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh (nylonadmiral) | 2 comments Galen wrote: "I feel bad for young girls who are growing-up with Bella Swan as their "main heroine." Bella's entire WORLD revolves around her boyfriend, and without him, she has nothing."

Exactly!! We had to look at Twilight for one of my uni courses and it really bugged me that 1/ Edward was this perfect being yet Bella is constantly questioning her worth in comparison to him and 2/ that he is everything for her, she has no real interest in any other aspect of life. We had a huge debate in class about whether or not she was a bad influence or not and so many of us kept refering back to Hermione and how much stronger and more complete she was as a person!

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samhanson) | 4 comments So hard to choose! I'd have to say Irene Beltran from Of Love and Shadows. She's smart, tough, courageous, sexy, and doesn't let anything stop her from getting what she wants. The whole book is really great and beautifully written but I think Irene is one of the reasons I really loved it.

message 18: by Leire (last edited Oct 27, 2010 12:57AM) (new)

Leire (leirebarrera) | 3 comments Helen Graham of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. She's a strong and independent woman who fights against male abuse and injustice. Some of her quotes:
"I see that a man cannot give himself up to drinking without being miserable one-half his days and mad the other..."
"I am satisfied that if a book is a good one, it is so whatever the sex of the author may be. All novels are or should be written for both men and women to read, and I am at a loss to conceive how a man should permit himself to write anything that would be really disgraceful to a woman, or why a woman should be censured for writing anything that would be proper and becoming for a man."

message 19: by Hanna (new)

Hanna | 2 comments Anne Elliot from Jane Austen's Persuasion. She's smart, and competent, and takes care of people around her. At the same time she is able to see her own mistakes, and learn from them. I think she's brilliant.

message 20: by Leire (new)

Leire (leirebarrera) | 3 comments Such a great choice! :)

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (iandssmom) | 5 comments Stephanie Plum! She has spunk and is so funny!

message 22: by geraly (new)

geraly | 2 comments i don't know that i can name one favorite literary heroine... but i can name two recent heroines: Elphaba from Wicked and Fever from Fever Crumb. i feel a deep empathy for both characters who are "outsiders", resilient, intelligent, emotionally conflicted and find themselves in trouble for just being themselves.

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 2 comments One of my favorite book series growing up and that I still read to this date is the Chronicles of Narnia. I know that they are kid's books, but Lucy Pevensie was and is my favorite heroine. Why? Because out of all the characters she stands up for what she believes in, she never waivers in her trust for Aslan, as well as loving her siblings through all their mistakes. She also realizes her flaws throughout the series and is the character that has the most heart.

message 24: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2 comments Hands down my favorite literary heroine is Frances "Francie" Nolan from "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." I read that book for the first time in third grade and read it once a year as an adult.

Francie is an 11-year old girl living in Depression-era Brooklyn and through the book we see her grow into a women. She progresses through school and life and at the end of the story you've taken an amazing journey with Francie and her family.

There are so many moments of empathy and bravery and strength.

If I ever have kids one of them will end up being named Francie. Seriously.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hayes (sarahlhayes) Lyra from His Dark Materials! She's strong and brave and not afraid to jump through universes and face down her own father if it means saving her friends. Lyra led a war and fell in love and stayed superbly awesome until the end.

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Shimotakahara (lshimo) | 2 comments I have several favourite heroines ranging from Eva Peace in Sula to Lily Bart in The House of Mirth.... These are complex, layered characters who lead less than exemplary lives (to say the least!) but never fail to fascinate me.....

Ex Lit Prof
www.the-reading-list.com

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2 comments My favorite literary heroine is Christy in the book "Christy" by Catherine Marshall. A young woman bold and brave enough to leave the comforts of home to become a teacher in extreme rural Appalachia. I read it for the first time as a pre-teen and had the pleasure of re-reading it once again this summer. Her story still inspires me!

message 28: by Kay (new)

Kay (disaffectedgrrl) Enid Coleslaw of Ghost World, of course. Because we see the world the same way (but sadly I don't need her '50s cat eye glasses to do so).

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Matilda from Roald Dahl's Matilda.

She's a voracious reader.
She defeats her evil headmistress.
She moves things with her mind.

I believe that's enough.

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary | 1 comments Elizabeth Bennett, "Pride and Prejudice"
She sparkles with wit, sass, and a fearlessness that I admire. She's also flawed which makes her all the more believable and lovable!

message 31: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Johnson (joanna4986) | 1 comments Aminata Diallo from Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill. She's strong, intelligent and determined.

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (weelittleactress) | 1 comments I have so many favorites that it's hard to pick one, but I would have to say Pippi Longstocking. She's a free spirit! She's an individual, she's strong (literally - she can pick up a horse!), she can take care of herself, she isn't afraid to be exactly who she is, and she makes excellent ginger snaps. :)

message 33: by Courtney (last edited Oct 27, 2010 03:51PM) (new)

Courtney Landis (cmarielandis) | 1 comments When I was a little girl, in about first or second grade, I was given "Anne of Green Gables" by L.M. Montgomery. A shy, bookish, ginger girl with a splash of freckles on my cheeks and nose, Anne Shirly was just the heroine I needed to help me love the girl I was, and realize the woman I wanted to be. Anne is fiercely smart, independent, loving, a worshipper of beauty and learning and books- and of course, pretty dresses (with puffed sleeves, please!). For as long as I can remember, Anne has called out to me as a "kindred spirit," and I'd be a very different person today without those books in my life.

message 34: by Maria (new)

Maria | 1 comments Margarita Luisa Chascarrillo. Otherwise known as "Maggie". The often lost and unbearably human heroine of Jaime Hernandez's Love and Rockets. No contest.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (VampireMisfit4169) | 1 comments Esther Hautzig from The Endless Steppe is my favorite literary heroine. The story is about 10-year old Esther (who is in fact the author) and her family being arrested from their home and thrown into exile during WWII. In the beginning Esther is a somewhat spoiled little girl within her wealthy family, but when they are exiled into Siberia, Esther endures some suffering and pain during those difficult years of her life. Even though she goes through challenging times, Esther is still a normal young girl and definitely acts like it. Esther is my favorite literary heroine because she is real. Unexpected, difficult times happen to us all and we can relate to that. I admire Esther because she learned to survive and become strong and courageous, yet she does not lose who she is, her individuality. Esther's story is a very interesting and inspiring story to read and that is why she is my favorite literary heroine.

message 36: by Emani (new)

Emani Castro | 2 comments Brandy Alexander of Chuck Palahniuk's Invisible Monsters. She taught me not to fear the opinions of others. She made me realize that the past is just a story. "When you realize the story you're telling is just words, when you can just crumble it up and throw your past in the trashcan, then we'll figure you who you're going to be."

message 37: by Ti (new)

Ti (pandorarevolt) | 11 comments My absolut favorite is Hana from the book The English Patient. She's the kind of woman I would like to be, ever since I read the book for the first time (when I was 12, now I'm 28) and every time I read it again... she's tender, strong, smart, loving, caring... a woman that has to re-build herself during war time and that defines herself apart from all the men that surround her.

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Katniss Everdeen! She is the epitome of a strong woman - physically and mentally! She has such a strong sense of empathy for others. She is loyal to those she loves. She has a sacrificial attitude. And she pretty much kicks butt.

message 39: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (grugcanswim) | 1 comments This is such a hard question, there are so many that I adore. Many people have mentioned Hermione Granger, Elizabeth Bennett, Katniss Everdeen and other amazing characters that are the type of person I aspire to be, and I definitely consider them to be favourites for those same reasons. However, I think I will take a different approach, and say Franny Glass from Franny and Zooey. Franny is not a character I would look up to, but at the time I read the book I identified with her, and the issues she was experiencing, a lot. She is my favourite character because reading about her character inspired me to change more then any other character has done. Not because she was amazing, but because she was annoying and vapid and I knew I was just like her.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarahsetar) My favourite literary heroine would have to be Scarlett O' Hara in Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I loved her character because of its imperfection. She was a flawed woman who exhibited courage and bravery during a harsh period. Although, at the time of reading the novel, I found that I detested her for her selfishness and spite. But, many years later, I find that her story has remained etched in my mind and that there were moments in the book when I felt a close connection with her character. As is often the case, we tend to resent people for possessing the qualities that form a part of the dark side of our personalities. Over the years, I have come to understand Scarlett a little better and feel an even stronger connection with her character.

message 41: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Hickey | 1 comments My favorite is Madame Bovary- I've probably read the book 30 times and it always makes me cry- she is so tragic, she may not truly be heroic but she is a classic example of how oppressed woman used to be and she chose (for a short while) to break free of her opression and search for love in a steamy,torrid love affair...Scandalous!

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 3 comments One of my favorites is Sabriel, from the novel by the same name written by Garth Nix. There is something refreshing about her. There are so many amazing female characters in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, that I have trouble picking one which I most admire.

message 43: by Molly (new)

Molly Miltenberger (mollymiltmurray) | 3 comments Anne Eliot (Persuasion, Jane Austen) and Clarissa Dalloway (Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf) are my favorites. They're extreme opposites, but they way that they think through events and connect circumstances strikes a chord. I love the sensitivity with which they respond to events. I love the freedom that Austen and Woolf give them in the text, and the beauty with which they are described. And, of course, they're my favorite books!

message 44: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) definitely, katniss everdeen. don't ask me if you haven't read yet the book.
if you ask me why? just read the hunger games series (no more, no less). lol

message 45: by Neverdust (new)

Neverdust | 9 comments One of my first and still most beloved heroines from when I started reading more "adult" books (I was 12) is Sally Lockhart from the eponymous series by Philip Pullman, the genius who wrote His Dark Materials.
If anti-heroine's count, definitely Irene Adler from "A Scandal in Bohemia" by Arthur Conan Doyle, or (a tragic anti-heroine) Addie Bundren from William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying.

message 46: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (akaleistar) | 4 comments My favorite literary character is Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice.

message 47: by Renee (new)

Renee | 5 comments Jo March, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Based on herself she's a fiercely independent tomboy who loves reading and writing. A creative, loyal and loudmouthed women. She's a brave, impulsive and outspoken women in a time when there where restrictions placed upon every aspect of a women's life (-career, relationships, clothes and behavior).

message 48: by rhea (new)

rhea (zeldamac) | 11 comments The 2 that popped in my head immediately were Jane Eyre and Hermione and I see and figured I wasn't the first to say so for the same reasons I think.

message 49: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Harper (meharper) Sarah wrote: "My favourite literary heroine would have to be Scarlett O' Hara in Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I loved her character because of its imperfection. She was a flawed woman who exhibited c..."

Thoughtfully written, Sarah!

message 50: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany  (enterthedrew) Mine is also Katniss. She is amazing. Not only did she risk her own life by taking her sisters place in the Hunger Games, but she also took over as the main provider for her family well before that when she herself was just a young girl. She is smart, loyal, and extremely brave. I loved these books and I can't wait for my daughter to get older so we can read them together.

« previous 1