Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Interracial Categories > Asian Woman - White Man

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pygmy (new)

Pygmy Recently read a book called "Butterfly Swords" by Jeannie Lin that was decent. The writing style and pacing is solid, and the topic is something I have never come across before in English-language-- ancient China, wuxia/kungfu, with a romance between a Chinese girl and a white warrior. This topic is a guilty pleasure of mine, and while the execution is not necessarily up to my wishes (b/c I am weird, whhyyy), I think it can certainly work for regular romance readers like yourself.

message 2: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Thanks for the recommendation! It does sound interesting.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 3: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2003 comments Mod
Ooh, this is on my shelf and I can't wait to get to it. Darn books keep distracting me lol.

Thanks for the rec, Pygmy!

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Thanks, Pygmy. I'm stoked to read this!

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I just read The Iron Duke (Iron Seas, #1) by Meljean Brook by Meljean Brook yesterday. This book is interesting, because the heroine is half-Asian (The Horde is what I believe to be the Mongols, Asian). She is a product of rape. The Horde are hated by the English for their subjugation of the country. She faces lots of prejudice because of her Asian features.

Also read Ruthless Game (GhostWalkers, #9) by Christine Feehan by Christine Feehan earlier this month.

Both are great books!

message 6: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2003 comments Mod
Ooh more info! Sounds like it'll be interesting.

message 7: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) I haven't read this, but it sounds interesting: Captive Bride: Captive Bride by Bonnie Dee

message 8: by Pygmy (new)

Pygmy I don't know how many here are videogame fans, but Resident Evil is a series of zombie-shooting console games that was famous enough for a series of bad Hollywood movies to be made (that barely relate the the original plots). Apparently they've been reprinting the tie-in novels for it, because I found this book at B&N: City of the Dead (Resident Evil, #3) by S.D. Perry

It's a very good novelization of Resident Evil 2, which is the first time we're introduced to my favorite ResEvil character, Leon Kennedy, a rookie cop who's first day on the job gets him trapped in a zombie-infested town. If you want a feel for how they look like, you can watch cutscenes from Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTZyJ...

Be prepared for cheesy voice acting...but what can I say...I love it! ^^;;; There's even more in Resident Evil 4, where Leon runs around Spain trying to save the President's daughter and stop more viruses. His appearance changes for the worse in subsequent games/movies, but at least for these 2 games, he's goooorgeous, IMO. <3 <3 Hope you enjoy it!

message 9: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 1 comments I heard good romance novel book named, Sayonara (published 1954) is talking about American solider has falling in love with Japanese woman during War World II or after War. I haven't read it but I heard about it so I want to read it so badly. And for your information, two different published the same title book,one was originally published in 1954 and another one was published in 1983 after set the classic movie, Sayonara. I hope you have interested in this book or tell me what you think about this story? Thanks!!

message 10: by Pygmy (new)

Pygmy Trade Me (Cyclone, #1) by Courtney Milan

Just finished reading this ebook by Courtney Milan, which is a New Adult romance. A bit more R-rated than I usually go for, but the quality of writing is excellent! It starts off with the Chinese heroine confronting billionaire tech mogul on class privilege, and snowballs from there. The issues and relationships are extremely well presented, and even though a 23-yr old billionaire tech genius is probably the most improbable thing about this book, all the details about the company and how companies work sounds pretty much true-to-life accurate. No one is an a-hole here except for the one person who is *supposed* to be an a-hole, and he's a real personality. Convincing chemistry, deep familial relationships, real issues/problems/concerns....I highly recommend this!

Paganalexandria  | 4064 comments R.K. Lilley's popular Tristan & Danika series Bad Things (Tristan & Danika, #1) by R.K. Lilley Rock Bottom (Tristan & Danika, #2) by R.K. Lilley Lovely Trigger (Tristan & Danika #3) by R.K. Lilley has a heroine that's part Asian.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Oh wow. I didn't realize that Trade Me had a Chinese heroine. I will have to check it out. Thanks, Pygmy!

message 13: by Pygmy (new)

Pygmy No problem! I'll probably add the sequel to one of the other categories when it comes out as well; it's going to be a Filipino guy x transgender Hispanic lady.

Trade Me was the first Courtney Milan book I ever read, and it made enough of an impression that I'll read all of her books, even if she tends to reuse certain phrases.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Pygmy wrote: "No problem! I'll probably add the sequel to one of the other categories when it comes out as well; it's going to be a Filipino guy x transgender Hispanic lady.

Trade Me was the first Courtney Mila..."

I like her writing in her historicals I've read. I'm not a big fan of New Adult, so I'm still on the fence about that aspect. I read some reviews, and I'm still not sure I'll like it that much, since NA isn't my thing. I appreciate your input though.

message 15: by Pygmy (new)

Pygmy I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but what is the difference between New Adult and romance that would cause you not to like it even if the same author wrote it? I stumbled on NA accidentally when I thought I was reading YA and got explicit bedroom scenes, but other than that, they feel like YA to me with all the same romance story elements happening.

message 16: by Pygmy (new)

Pygmy Sushi for One? by Camy Tang

Clean Christian romance that I read so many times I...can't anymore because I've worn out all the surprise, lol.

I love the guy so much, my type! Kind of controlled, understated, not overly pushy or in your face, but still passionate about what he feels is important.

Paganalexandria  | 4064 comments Pygmy wrote: "I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but what is the difference between New Adult and romance that would cause you not to like it even if the same author wrote it? I stumbled on NA accid..."

Pygmy I hate YA but can read NA. For me the difference isn't so much the age of the characters, but the high school drama. I brain just checks out when prom, cliques, any of it comes up. A lot of NA is set in college but they don't have that exact tone. It's a slight difference, but a big one for me.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

It's a fair question, Pygmy. I just don't like the hormonal drama and angst and crazy behavior and sexual antics. Like Pagan, I hate high school drama of YA. But NA has the angst of bad decisions you make in your twenties. The other reason is I'm old-fashioned and I like HEAs, not HFNs, and I don't think most couples are going to get hitched at 21 and probably shouldn't.

message 19: by Pygmy (new)

Pygmy Ohh, that's interesting. I think the reason I read so much YA is because all that breathy, angsty drama takes me back to simpler times and just makes me a giggling school girl, and because they're usually cleaner, I don't have to feel too much guilt. Admittedly, they can be pretty brainless, and eventually I tire out of teenage drama when there really shouldn't be any if anyone had any amount of maturity. (esp. since my high school experience almost never conforms to what's portrayed in the books) But for myself, many of the romances I've read have driven me nuts in other ways, and it doesn't give me the breathless head space feeling, so I think my internal calculator gives a pass to high school antics just for that.

Maybe I haven't read enough, but like I mentioned before, NA feels the same as YA to me except with the R-rated scenes. Maybe because it often seems to be written in the same tone as YA? I don't know if it's because it's often first-person female POV or what, since it's not always like that across the board...

@Danielle: Haha, I had to look up HFN; I didn't realize there were actually demarcations for that! As long as it's not out of left-field, I don't usually choose my reading material based on the ending I'm expecting...which is odd, considering I do that aallll the time now for my TV consumption! (there's enough badness going around, I don't need my tv/movie characters sniping at each other and dying all the time)

Trade Me actually doesn't involve characters making a lot of bad decisions; it's more about people being stuck in difficult situations out of their control (mostly because of their families), and therefore struggling pretty realistically trying to make it work. And being decent about it. I think I was amazed about how decent the main characters were. No one was being selfish, no one deliberately misunderstood the other to create drama. I ended up really rooting for them, and the angst felt well earned.

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Oh, that makes me feel better about Trade Me. Maybe I'll give it a try. Might be my first NA. Thanks, Pygmy.

Regarding endings, I don't mind if I'm not expecting a HEA. But with romance, I'm pretty much expecting HEA, so I'm disappointed when I don't get it. I feel like real life romance isn't guaranteed, so I really like my romance to have a guaranteed happy ending.

I do like angst and drama, I'm a Harlequin Presents fan, after all. They are my get out of jail free for angst and drama. I expect it, so I'm fine with it. But I don't like silly, ridiculous angst due to immature characters.

I'll go ahead and try Trade Me. Thanks!!!

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Pygmy wrote: "Sushi for One? by Camy Tang

Clean Christian romance that I read so many times I...can't anymore because I've worn out all the surprise, lol.

I love the guy so much, my type! Kind of control..."

I have these books. I so need to start this series!

message 22: by Pygmy (new)

Pygmy Haha, now I'm nervous that my recs won't work with you! Did I talk it up too much??? lol, Sushi for One has issues, but somehow it hits a lot of buttons that do work for me, and is my favorite in the series. I wish the author would write more like them, but I've tried her other series in the Christian lines (Love Inspired? something like that) and they were intolerable. -__-;;

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I was rearranging my books and setting up some more bookshelves and pulled Sushi for One out. I find myself very drawn into Asian culture, so I'm always for a good romance with Asian leads. Thanks again for the prompt to pull it off the shelf.

message 24: by Pygmy (new)

Pygmy Cross-posted from the YA IR thread...

Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee

I just finished reading this book. It is a pleasant story, about 2 Chinese and black girls who cross-dress and escape together from bad circumstances out West, join up with 2 Irish and 1 Mexican guys, and all become good friends, take care of each other, and of course, fall in love. The Chinese girl searches for a friend of her dead father; the black girl searches for her older brother, but it's pretty sweet to see how they are wiling to sacrifice for the sake of supporting each other.

message 25: by Pygmy (new)

Pygmy Cross-posted from YA Reads thread, although, I'm actually not entirely sure this classifies as AW-WM.

The races are fictional, but from the cover and descriptions, it's obvious that the heroine is East-Asian-based. The race of one of her love interests seems to be Middle Eastern. BUT, of course, the love interest himself differed from every other guy of his race, and sports rust-colored hair, jade green eyes, cream-colored skin under clothes and a "ruddy" tan for skin that gets sunlight. I dunno...it sounds kind of Irish to me. Or like that famous "Afghan Girl" portrait.

http://photography.nationalgeographic...

Whether or not Middle Eastern = white depends on the region, I suppose. But I recently applied to a job, and when checking off my race, I noticed that Middle Eastern was lumped in with white.
--------
Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1) by Sarah Fine

Inspired by Phantom of the Opera. Very well written with complex race relations, oppressive serf/indentured dynamic, enclosed slaughterhouse/factory setting, some minor aspects of horror, and of course, a love triangle. However, beware that this book contains excessive amounts of rape threats. =( It made sense at first, but later on I just wanted to start castrating people, even though something always occurs to prevent the rape from happening.

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Pygmy wrote: "Cross-posted from the YA IR thread...

Under a Painted Sky by Stacey Lee

I just finished reading this book. It is a pleasant story, about 2 Chinese and black girls who cross-dress and escap..."

That sounds up my alley. Thanks!

Paganalexandria  | 4064 comments Freebie with this theme today
Shanghai Wind (A Gateway to Love 2.5) by Chloe T. Barlow
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YBM9MEI/

message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** wrote: "Freebie with this theme today
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YBM9MEI/"

Thanks!

Paganalexandria  | 4064 comments Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) wrote: "Paganalexandria **wicked juices bubbling over** wrote: "Freebie with this theme today
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YBM9MEI/"

Thanks!"

You're welcome Danielle

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I recently read Love Beyond Measure for a review and it was very good. The heroine is half-British and half-Siamese but culturally very much Siamese. The hero white British. I would recommend this book to historical romance fans, especially since it's a book set in the kingdom of Siam so it's very different from typical Regency books.