Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Self Promotion Tips > Barnes & Noble Facebook "LIKE" Feature

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Oct 27, 2010 08:49AM) (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 90 comments That's interesting. Do they "Like" the book or the author? FB used to let you "fan" brands so you would get be basically friended with a brand that you might want to get messages from about new products or promotions, etc and now they've changed "Fan" to "Like". When they "Like" your book, do they become like a fan of your FB page so you can contact them in the future to let them know about future publications, reader tours, etc? In other words, is there any way for the author to be connected to those who have Liked their book?

message 2: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 90 comments Right. Basically, it posts the Like to their page. Too bad. It would be very helpful if you as the creator could reach out to those people in the future. That's an unfortunate miss by FB.

message 3: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) I just made my own page on facebook

message 4: by Guido (last edited Oct 27, 2010 09:55AM) (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments It's not confusing at all when you think about it. It's just that Barnes & Noble is using this feature in a way it wasn't originally intended. It has nothing to do with a "miss" by Facebook.

This "Like" button has nothing to do with us as authors or with our books. The page that is created on Facebook is a product page owned by Barnes&Noble, since they are the creators. That is why I as the author have no access to its page data, such as members etc.

Now, not only is this disappointing, but we're getting into a legal minefield here. When you create a Facebook product page you have to confirm that you have the rights to represent the product. I have never given Barnes & Noble that right, and yet they now begin harvesting off the people who "Like" my product on Facebook. It is clearly a marketing tool that works only in their favor - not the author's not the book's really - and I have no doubt they will exploit it as good as they can.

Honestly, I am not too happy about this. At the very least I should be able to take control of this page and own it.

The only recourse I have right now is to go to Facebook and tell them it is an unlicensed representation of my product, asking them to pull the pages for my books - but from what I've heard before, Facebook is not likely to comply.

message 5: by David (last edited Oct 27, 2010 10:51AM) (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 90 comments You are making this more confusing, Guido, not less, to me. My understanding is that what B&N has done is add a Like functionality to a product page. They already have a product page. They are just adding a FB Like button to it. When the FB user "Likes" the book, the image and a short message will appear on the user's wall that says something like "Guido just liked Death by Zamboni by David David Katzman" or whatever it says and a small thumbnail image of the cover of my book appears with the message on your wall.

This is only a win for the author because someone else is promoting that they like your book to their friends.

message 6: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments You are missing half the story. Sorry if I was confusing. this "Button" doesn't just come from anywhere. Facebook creates a product page for that "Like." This page is controlled by someone - Barnes&Noble. In that page all the "Likes" are essentially accumulated also, giving B&N access to all the people who liked your product - perfect for direct marketing - but it leaves you, the author, with nothing, really.

message 7: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 90 comments Hmmhh. So are you saying that there is a product page just for my novel (hypothetically speaking - i'm on Amazon, not B&N) on Facebook that people can visit, but the page is sponsored by B&N? Is it an actual page on FB or an invisible page? I've never heard of product pages to support something that are created by a retailer rather than the manufacturer. Where does this page exist that collects the Likes? And how does B&N message to these people who liked it? Via FB ads delivered to your page?

message 8: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments I haven't looked at it in detail but yes, there would have to be a Facebook Product page somewhere - it is the only way to "Like" something in Facebook to the best of my knowledge, and yes, that page is controlled by B&N because they are obviously the ones who created it.

In theory it should work like any other page on Facebook, when it shows that you liked a book, you should be able to click on the button and get to that product page. Unless Facebook has some new technology in place that would then forward you to the B&N product page, you should end up on that Facebook product page. There you should see all the people who like the book. The owner of the page can then send messages directly to all people who "Liked" to product.

That's how it's worked in the past. I haven't had the chance to actually take a look at the B&N implementation, but I would be surprised if it works differently.

message 9: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments Okay, I just checked and the "Like" button actually refers back directly to the B&N product page. In that case, it's a little different. It's really just an ad button for B&N.

message 10: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 90 comments Yes, it's the difference between Liking a product and Liking a "brand" or an author. Product Likes don't provide any data or trackability, from what i understand. It's just a thumbs up. So if you're on the Apple site for example, and you hit Like next to the iPod Classic, it's different than if you Like Apple which is like friending the company.

message 11: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments No, I agree. After seeing how it works in practice, I think it is pretty nice and can indeed help to drive additional sales.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

This is an interesting discussion. But , I am overwhelmed simply by the fact that I have not figured out how to navigate Face Book too well, yet. My marketing strategy is based on the movie theater , "buy popcorn...buy popcorn..." Statics from somewhere says that a potential buyer has to see a product six times before they get the message to buy said product. Getting your title out there repeatedly will eventually reaps sales.

message 13: by David (new)

David Katzman (daviddavid) | 90 comments Your knowledge or lack thereof about FB doesn't really make much difference in this case. The use of this feature is out of your hands. To sum up, if someone likes your book enough, they might "Like" it to their FB wall so their friends will see it. That's all it does.

message 14: by Adam (new)

Adam Bender (adambender) | 21 comments I think this is a great feature, even if it doesn't send likes to my Facebook page. When someone likes something on Facebook, all of their friends see it. Word of mouth is the best way to get people interested in your book for the simple reason that people trust recommendations from their friends more than strangers. So even if there's not an easy way to contact people who like your B&N product page, you're still getting more potential buyers than you would if B&N didn't have a "like" button.

As long as B&N is paying me a cut of the sales, I don't care how they attract the buyers.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Poeltl (mikepoeltl) I can be found on Barnes & Noble here: http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.c...