Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Incarceron (Incarceron, #1)
This topic is about Incarceron
Incarceron > Incarceron (no spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cortney | 37 comments OK, I know I am jumping the gun a little, but I started reading Incarceron this week and I want to know if anyone else is.

It is a difficult read for me so far, but in a good way! It takes concentration and thought to keep up with the gadgets and futuristic past thing that is going on.... anyone else?
would this be considered steam punk?

I am really excited to discuss this, I think it is just going to get better and better as I get through it!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I've only read about half of it so far, but it feels like a fantasy/steampunk collision.

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments I am almost done with Incarceron. It's a very intense read.

It did take a lot of concentration to understand what was going on, but I think the author handled the complexities rather well. I liked the moving back and forth between Claudia and Finn. I really liked Claudia's character.

Tara I finished it a few weeks ago and I was entranced with the story. I found the beginning needed more concentration because it was such a different society and so complicated. I found once I got the idea of the society and understood the complexities of the jail I did not have to concentrate on it as much and just enjoyed the ride.
So glad it was picked... not sure I would have picked it up otherwise (and then I would have missed out on such a great tale).

message 5: by Ernesto (new)

Ernesto gutierrez | 4 comments I never followe on a monthly book. ARe you suppose to read a certain amount of chapters per week???

Cortney | 37 comments Ernesto wrote: "I never follow on a monthly book. ARe you suppose to read a certain amount of chapters per week???"

Not necessarily. A book is chosen for discussion through a month- like Incarceron for November. You can read it whenever you like, and at your own speed and then discuss it through November with everyone else who is reading or has read it.... the discussions stay open after the month is over too.

message 7: by Ernesto (new)

Ernesto gutierrez | 4 comments Cortney wrote: "Ernesto wrote: "I never follow on a monthly book. ARe you suppose to read a certain amount of chapters per week???"

Not necessarily. A book is chosen for discussion through a month- like Incarcero..."

Thank you.

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I am a few chapters in and this book does take a lot of concentration at first. I am a little confused about the society or even what Incarceron is. Though I am sure it will become clearer as I read more.

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments The early scenes inside Incarceron confused me because I imagined it to look like a real prison, with cells and bars. So when Finn was tied to the train track, I thought they must be just outside Incarceron, and when they jumped through chutes to get inside something, I thought they entered Incarceron.

But then it said that no one has ever gone in or out of Incarceron, and I had no clue how to picture this world. I think I finally got it figured out once Finn found the key, and he and his friends decided to go looking for the door.

Courtney (cklueh) The first chapter was the most difficult to understand for me. I probably would have walked away from it if it hadn't been the November book. I'm about a third of the way into it, now, and really enjoying it. I love anything that is "period" (any period in time except the 1980s--The Wedding Singer being the only exception--love you, Drew).

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rita wrote: "The early scenes inside Incarceron confused me because I imagined it to look like a real prison, with cells and bars. So when Finn was tied to the train track, I thought they must be just outside I..."

I agree... I had a hard time picturing the world of Incarceron too. I think that is what made it hard. Spoilers:

for example... that whole beast scene. I mean what was even going on? I also thought when Finn and his comrades jumped down that chute I also thought they were entering Incarceron. Come to find out WAY later they were already in it.

Courtney (cklueh) On page 312. This is taking forever to read. I can't picture the world either. I like the characters, but feel like we are only glimpsing both sets--even at this point in the book. It is definitely a plot driven story.

message 13: by Megan (last edited Nov 07, 2010 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Megan | 5 comments Courtney wrote: "On page 312. This is taking forever to read. I can't picture the world either..."

I completely agree. Fisher doesn't seem to be very talented at writing descriptive passages. I can't get a clear picture in my head of the Incarceron. Many of the action scenes are hard to follow, as well.

I'm about halfway through & considering giving up. This hasn't been enjoyable so far ~ too plot/action driven, poor descriptions, and the characters seem very predictable/two-dimensional.

message 14: by Ann (new) - rated it 1 star

Ann I am really having a hard time getting into this book. I see other people have said the same, I'm just hoping I can get more interested soon.

message 15: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Halligan (bookandlatte) | 13 comments Me too! I'm relieved to read that others are having a hard time getting a picture of Incarceron. I'm trying not to give up but I have a stack of books I've been wanting to read and trudging through this books has been frustrating. I hope it gets better soon.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2 comments Agreed! I'm confused! Back o the lib!

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Jen wrote: "Me too! I'm relieved to read that others are having a hard time getting a picture of Incarceron. I'm trying not to give up but I have a stack of books I've been wanting to read and trudging through..."

If you persist, I think you'll find that the truth about Incarceron justifies the vagueness early in the book. I think the reader is meant to have questions about what it is and, most importantly, where it is.

message 18: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

That makes sense to me.... maybe the reader is meant to have so many questions. I suppose that in sci-fi type books you have to just believe in what the author is writing. Nothing is as it seems.

☼Bookish in Virginia☼  (ren_t) Kirkus has listed sapphique as one of it's Best Books for Teens

http://www.kirkusreviews.com/lists/20...

This is pretty much my take on Fisher. Her second books in her series are the best. 1st and 3rd lag far behind.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "That makes sense to me.... maybe the reader is meant to have so many questions. I suppose that in sci-fi type books you have to just believe in what the author is writing. Nothing is as it seems."

That's part of the fun of sci-fi...building an image of a world in your mind with only a few hints about that world.

message 21: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam wrote: "Kirkus has listed sapphique as one of it's Best Books for Teens

http://www.kirkusreviews.com/lists/20...

This is pretty much my take on Fisher. Her ..."

I'm not sure what you are saying? So you like the 2nd book but not the 1st?

message 22: by ☼Bookish (last edited Nov 21, 2010 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☼Bookish in Virginia☼  (ren_t) Sorry Angie, guess I could have been clearer. What I meant to say is that Kirkus seems to really like Sapphique and this doesn't surprise me at all. From my experience the second books in Fisher's series seem to be consistently better than the first volumes.

I haven't read it, btw. I had more or less decided to see what the rest of you thought before diving in. I was that disappointed in Incarceron

message 23: by Jia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jia | 4 comments You know, they're making the Incarceron movie with Taylor Lautner as Finn. What joy.

☼Bookish in Virginia☼  (ren_t) Jia wrote: "You know, they're making the Incarceron movie with Taylor Lautner as Finn. What joy."

He seems too young for the Finn that's in my head.

message 25: by Jia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jia | 4 comments And with the whole Twilight franchise, no doubt some fangirls will come and invade the theater with Team Jacob posters and stuff.

message 26: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

A movie? Hummmm... wonder how it will turn out?

message 27: by Jia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jia | 4 comments I dunno, but I heard on E! News that Taylor Lautner was gonna be in a prison movie. And I laughed. But then Guiliana was like "He's gonna be in the film adaption of Incarceron, a young adult novel." And I was like JAWDROP.

Cortney | 37 comments I'm not a big Twilight fan but I think he will do fine. He is miles above the girl as far as acting. Maybe this will help move him beyond twilight. Like Zach Effron. He was good in High School Musical but I have really been impressed by some of the movies he has been in since.