Chick Lit Writers discussion

NaNoWriMo 2010

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
Last year I heard about the National Novel Writing Month and the goal shared by peopel around the world to write 50,0000 words in a month; that's a 175 page novel! I had just missed it by a few weeks, but sure enough, as time flies, NaNoWriMo is back again!

Beginning November 1 - Nov 30, writers everywhere will be scrambling to get their ideas on paper For all the Details Go to:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

You can find support, motivation, tips on how to prepare, get started and begin writing. Best of all, it's FREE! If you've been looking for a little oopmh to get your writing started, maybe November can be your month!

I'm going to make every effort to take part in it for the full month. I just signed up today. Anybody else in? Discuss here...

message 2: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 9 comments I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year. It's my first time! How lame am I - I signed up back in June :) I am READY!!!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 12 comments I think I can sacrifice a month, this sounds like such a great idea!!! Now, I have 4 days to think up a plot and characters....

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 12 comments I registered on the site, let's all be buddies, my username is joelizrado

message 5: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 9 comments I added you Joanne! I am adorrable524 :)

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 12 comments thanks!

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I'm planning on doing it! :) I haven't signed up yet though. Should I? I guess it's not official if I don't...

message 8: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 9 comments There's no harm in signing up and it seems like there is a great support group to help keep everyone motivated through the forums. Plus it's a neat tool to watch your word count rise along with everyone else :)

That is...I'm guessing it will be cool :) :) :)

message 9: by Cathy (new)

I agree, Kourtney, however much or little I get done, I think it will be fun and I can use it to set a goal for next time! I'm so glad to see so many people doing it. My name is cgraceh on the site. I look for you all to add to the buddy list:)

Has anyone thought about what they want to write yet?

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 12 comments I read a really good article on about.com from NaNoWriMo veterans, and one girl said "use everyone and everything that has happened in your life shamelessly" this is something I didn't want to do but I think it will be my backbone as I will not have the time to research. I didn't want to write about the army but it is what I know and so it will be what it is! My goal is to use this as a learning experience to learn how I write and how to break through the stress of writers block etc. Not to write my debut novel!

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I don't expect to finish my novel, since I'm trying to get a part-time job in addition to my real job and going to school. I don't think this is the best time to start. ha. But I keep putting it off & putting it off, so I am using this opportunity as my excuse to get started! Even if I don't finish, at least I will start.

I know what I'm going to write about. I have the characters and plot all outlined and ready. It's a YA book. The only problem is that I can't decide on the main character's name and it's really throwing me off! How can I attempt to write a novel when the main character (and narrator) doesn't have a name?! I have a back-up name, so I guess I will use that if I can't think of something better by November 1!

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 12 comments You can just put in XX or something then at the end to a ctrl F and replace it when you think of a name, good luck!

message 13: by Cathy (new)

I saw on NaNoWriMo's site a forum exactly for that type of probelm...not having a characters name! Check it out...http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/forum (I'd try either the Plot Doctoring or Adoption Society topic).

And I'm with you ladies, on the one hand I"m not sure what I'll write..I had a novel all outlined out but I've deviated form its idea (in my head) so much that I dont' really want to go back there..

I really like the idea I've seen places about turning a fairytale into a modern day novel...like I consider the book How to Sleep with a Movie Star a modern day Cinderella story with all its characters and secenes in chick lit fashion....I've always thought about trying to recreate Sleeping Beauty...so I may try to do that..

For the most part though I'm just hoping to use this month as a tool to get in the habit of writing everyday...I know I won't be writing a debut novel anytime soon either but I just want to be better about writing, period

message 14: by Cathy (new)

Joanne wrote: "I read a really good article on about.com from NaNoWriMo veterans, and one girl said "use everyone and everything that has happened in your life shamelessly" this is something I didn't want to do b..."

What's the article link...this one just brought me to About.com (the main page)? I'd love to look at what others said....thanks!

message 15: by Cathy (new)

I think I found it..was this the one:
http://fictionwriting.about.com/od/no...

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 12 comments Yes, that is it, the one I was talking about is #3 Deanna

message 17: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I just signed up! So that means I'm really going to do it! My name is zanne17.

message 18: by Cathy (new)

I just added you three as my writing buddies...hope you don't mind! maybe we can motivate each other!

message 19: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 9 comments I don't mind! And I'm going to look for you too Suzanne. I think I will need all the motivation I can once November 5th rolls around :) :) :)

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 12 comments how's it going ladies? just got home from work, poured a glass of wine and about to begin!

message 21: by Cathy (last edited Nov 01, 2010 02:40PM) (new)

Awesome! Good luck. I only got a chance to write for 15 min at work today. 167 words so hopefully tonights more productive. But I'm excited! How bout u? Do u have a game plan, a plot idea or any particular goal?

message 22: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 12 comments i have a kinda plot, and kinda characters and can hopefully stick to the 1667 words per day! It isn't much but hopefully enough to keep me moving. I dont plan on it being good or even really ok, I am going to try to keep myself from going back and editing or changing what I already have written and just see where it goes!

message 23: by Kourtney (last edited Nov 01, 2010 03:13PM) (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 9 comments I can't wait to go home (only an hour and half before I leave...my hour commute...another half hour tending to the dog...and THEN writing time!!!). I snuck in a bit of writing when an idea FINALLY hit me of how to start my book. I quickly scribbled down my idea, and my final count is at 111 words.

I am doing the "sit down and see what comes pouring out of me" method where I will let the characters take me on their journey. I have a general idea in mind, but will see who else pops up along the way. I have a feeling I will be doing more writing by hand and then spending weekends transcribing them into Word. I feel more creative that way and will worry less about the word count. We shall see!

message 24: by Cathy (last edited Nov 01, 2010 03:41PM) (new)

Sounds great! I'm cooking dinner and then it's write time! I'm somehwere in between you two...I finally thought of an idea I could commit to this monring on my drive to work and jotted it down (partially while driving!!) then wrote the 15 min at work..but had a hard time not editing on my way..someitmes I think i only edit to procrstinate...so bad!

Sticking to the 1667 a day will be hard..but I'm hoping I can do it within 4 hours...if I really focus! We'll see...I may end up having to cram on the weekends...

I just tried to get on the NaNo web site too and I think it's so overloaded with people it's down:(

message 25: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments Today was not a good day for me to start since I had both work and school today. I've thought about my story but haven't had a chance to start writing. Once I get home I will try to write just a little bit at least!

message 26: by Cathy (new)

Week one is well underway...I've barely found a little time here and there to write after work....I thnk my word count is at 1,351! Not even a day's goal according to NaNoWriMo...but for me, it's not bad...Must write this wkd!

How are you ladies making out?

message 27: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments Not too good. I think I am at around 1,900. Hopefully I will get a lot done this weekend!

message 28: by Cathy (new)

I think that's excellent! What did u end up deciding to write about? If u don't mind my asking?

message 29: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) | 9 comments Suzanne is our winner :) I am only at 1791 and that is after 2 days. I have already told my boyfriend I am being a hermit crab all weekend so I can catch up on my word count.

I am planning Thanksgiving since I am hosting this year and am planning my boyfriend's birthday which is that very same weekend. Everything seemed to blow up in my face yesterday so no writing time for me! But I have been able to get some reading done (I can never stop reading!)

message 30: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I was hoping to get caught up this weekend, but I have a ton of homework to do. ugh. I knew it would not be a good time to start this! Oh well, I am still going to try!

I decided to write a YA book. It is about a girl who is a senior in high school. During her junior year, she was injured in a snowboarding accident and is paralyzed and in a wheelchair. I'm going to write about her dealing with typical high school stuff--boys, drama with friends, stuff like that. She grows apart from her best friend but ends up getting cast in the school musical and making new friends.

Cathy-What did you decide to write about? Did you go with your updated fairy tale idea? I think I remember you mentioned something like that before.

message 31: by Cathy (new)

I forgot my flash drive at work yesterday so I just combined my two days together and have 1,876 words!

I did end up doing the fairytale thing but my old idea was to do Sleeping Beauty but somehow it turned into Cinderella - I hope that's not too overdone but for now I'm more concerned with just getting some chapters written first!

It's hard not to edit as I go along...anyone else feel the same? I've been editing here and there but trying leavnecessarily convinced it's how i we names temporary where I"m not sure what I want but it's so hard not to stew over little details like that:)

message 32: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I agree-it's so hard to not edit! But I try to keep reminding myself to just write, write, write and not worry about making it perfect.

message 33: by Cathy (new)

November 15 - I don't know about you all but i"m nowhere near halfway there:) But having fun, writing everyday and trying...I'm so easily distracted still though..

I'm up to just over 7,000 words but barely about to end chapter 3...I think i"m finding my biggest roadblock is that I don't focus on action enough...I guess that's my goal tonight and tomorrow...just write what's happening now...and keep moving forward...we'll see...how's it going with you all??

message 34: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments That's great, Cathy! Glad to hear you are having fun with it and writing every day. I haven't written anything since the first day. I suck. School is keeping me busy and when I'm done with that (not to mention work), the last thing I feel like doing is sitting in front of a computer even more. I think I will end up having to host my own NoWriMo some other month. ha. I'm hoping to do some writing during winter break. I don't get any time off work, but I get about a month off from school.

message 35: by Cathy (new)

Well, ladies, 2010 NaNoWriMo is officially over...how'd you all do? I didn't finsih nearly at all but I"m happy I participated and hope maybe next year I can up my word count, if even by another 5 words:) Was this your first one to (I couldn't remember?) Does anyone think they may continue their story they started? I hope to at least finish a rough draft of mine - even if it's the most horrible piece of writing in the world!

message 36: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) From everything you all have said maybe this would be a good accountability device to use. I might try to participate next year. You could always consider doing another version right here where we hold each other accountable. Just a thought.

message 37: by Cathy (new)

Jencey wrote: "From everything you all have said maybe this would be a good accountability device to use. I might try to participate next year. You could always consider doing another version right here where w..."

I love your idea Jencey to do our own modified NaNoWriMo here! What do others thinK??? I havent written nearly as much since participating in NaNoWriMo last November....anyone interested in doing our own modified version?

We could make the rules....time limits? Like if it will be a whole month...a week..a certain number of hours...word goal...suggestions anyone?