Testimony Testimony discussion

review

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianne (new)

Brianne goooo The novel Testimony written by author Anita Shreve took me on an emotional rollercoaster of events that took place one winter at a New England private school, Avery Academy. What started off as a sex scandal that involved four Avery students turned into an emotional story that brought me to tears as I turned each page. Families fall apart and relationships are ruined as this scandal goes public to ruin the lives of many. Testimony is one the best novels I have read, it has a dramatic intriguing plot that kept me totally immersed. Anita Shreve has an amazing skill to keep the reader engaged in her work. The storyline, the style of writing, the change in tone, the realness of the events all work together to create a masterpiece.
The storyline of Testimony has multiple contrasting angles. The storyline was so brilliantly thought up. It brings together drama, romance, and thrill. It reveals the story of young love, and included me on the journey of intimate relations between Silas, and Noelle. “ I discover that making love is not one moment or two. It is a hundred moments, a hundred doors that open, doors to rooms you have never been inside before.” They experienced their first love, and what it was like to take their relationship to the next level. The story partakes in a dramatic twist with the sex scandal that involved three boys’ ages seventeen to nineteen, and a fourteen-year-old freshman girl. This scandal reaches the face of the Internet, and becomes public throughout the town of Avery. The drama kept me racing to turn the page to find out what would happen next. Some of the students involved were star academics and outstanding athletes, Shreve kept me wanting to know what their fate was going to be. The impulse of one night could ruin these kids’ lives and they didn’t even know it. “Do you have any idea what you have done? What you have thrown away? Arthur shouts… You’re aware that you were going to go to Brown.”
The tone throughout the novel was a big contributor to emotional aspect of the story. The beginning started off as a thriller, introducing the topic of the scandal. It soon changed to the young love, and introduced the romance. Near the end of the novel a tragic event hits the story and brings in the drama. The tone was very important for this story, and Shreve does a magnificent job at subtly introducing the different tones.
Anita Shreve has a very unique style of writing that appealed to me as a reader. She brought the story Testimony to life by writing through the perspective of all the different characters in the novel. It made this particular story intriguing to read because you heard all the angles there could be of the scandal. You heard the story from the three boys, and then you got the story from the young girl involved. You also got taken down the road of a side plot, which included an affair between the headmaster of the school, and one of the boys’ parents. This side plot consequently leads to the tragic event that takes place at the end of the novel.
Ultimately, I found Testimony a joy to read. Shreve had me sitting on the edge of my seat and also brought me to tears. This gripping story had a realistic feel that I could relate to. It taught me a life lesson between the difference of romance and lust, and how one night of “fun” could lead to a lifetime of pain, and regret. Anita Shreve is brilliant storyteller, and officially one of my favorite authors.

Normandy I just started this. I'm only on page 17 but I can already tell this is going to be an emotional and riveting read.

Normandy I finished Testimony today and was very moved and very surprised. This is an emotional and sad story. It was told from several different viewpoints of people affected by the scandal. Truly riveting.

Cherri This book was a page turner for me. I couldn't read it fast enought. It was very emotional and I think we sometimes forget how hard it is being a teenager in today's society.

message 5: by Michael (last edited Apr 16, 2012 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michael I was very disappointed after reading it, not very consistent or memorable.

Rachel I loved this book as well. After reading the blurb at the back I couldn't really see where it was going. But I felt Shreeve handled the story very well. I loved hearing the story from the different authors, sometimes when people do that you wonder why, but it gave such a different perspective on the story. Very well handled, heartbreaking story.

Henry Le Nav I thought Testimony: A Novel and Where or When to be Shreve's best. She can rip your heart out.