College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily I really wanna dress like a book character (probably children's book) this halloween. Any good ideas? I don't want to spend too much $ on a costume

message 2: by Mandee (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 378 comments Maybe Coraline or Pippi Longstocking or maybe a character from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The first two are costumes you could probably put together with stuff you already have or could get for cheap and are still recognizable. Because of Willy Wonka, any of the kids would probably work too, but I don't know how easy they'd be.

My vote would be for Coraline: like one of these three dolls

But it would be even cooler if you went as the doll version of her: like this and just used face makeup or something for the button eyes. Super creepy!

(Tried to post the pics in the thread but for some reason it wouldn't let me)

Good luck! Hope you find something you like! Sorry my suggestions have all been adapted for the screen so it kinda defeats the book character thing, but maybe it'll give you an idea for something better :).

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
My niece is being The Gray Lady (the inspiration for the gray lady in Harry Potter books) but while it was an easy costume, it wasn't very cheap.

I like the Pippy idea. That would be an easier one, and if you didn't have the clothing, any thrift store would.

Have you checked the thrift stores? I know our largest one has racks of costumes and certain clothing that is used for common costumes. They may have Alice in Wonderland or maybe a ball gown like Beauty's.

good luck!

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I always wait until the last minute for halloween

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments I've always thought about being Madeline but never done it. You wouldn't need to much, just a hat and some sort of dress/ coat. You could probably find those pretty easily at a thrift store. Let us know what you decide on!

message 6: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
My costume is a butterfly woman. I have a few dozen butterflys attached on wires to hair clips so that I will have sort of a halo of buterflies around my head, and then I found some rainbow tulle material and we made a sort of dress with it. It has a ruffled collar similar to the ones you see if shakespearean costumes. If I remember, I will try to post a picture when I can.

message 7: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen One year I made an Amelia Bedelia costume. I was also thinking of going as one of the Baby-Sitters' Club members, but I have nowhere to go so that's out.

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet Sorry I am so late on this but our costumes were awesome...if you get what they are. My husband and I dressed up as the Orage Iguanas from Legends of the Hidden Temple! Did anyone else watch that show!? Haha. It was awesome!!

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
OH MY GOSH! Janet that is awesome!! I loved that show!!

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Janet, that's an amazing costume! I also loved that show! They need to bring back some of these kid tv game shows!

message 11: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Haha yes! I was always partial to the purple monkeys.

message 12: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
It is almost Halloween again. What fun costumes does everyone have planned for this year?

message 13: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Our work does a Halloween potluck and have a hat contest. They are too stuffy for an actual costume contest. Anyways, it is today because some heavy training is taking up almost 4 weeks of the training room. My hair is a bee hive. Not the 60's hairdo, but something made from my hair some yarn and some fake bees. Not sure it is technically a hat, but it looks great!

message 14: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen That sounds so funny Tami! I bet it does look fantastic.

I don't really have a plan for a costume; I have to decide soon. I'll be at a party my fiance and his roommate are throwing on the Saturday night before Halloween, and there are prizes, so I have to think of something good.

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Tami, we will of course, need to see pictures of said hat. :)

message 16: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I will see if I can get some to post later.

message 17: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I really wish Halloween was celebrated here. I think it's something I'd really like, the decorations and the dressing-up especially. Sigh.

message 18: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
You could always start the fad! :)

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Anyone have fun Halloween pictures to post? Decorations, costumes, etc? I'm tempted to post a picture of me in my costume. I felt like the office pet at work today. Anytime someone else saw me in my costume I got dragged over to another coworkers desk so that they could see me too. I had my picture taken several times. (It doesn't help that I'm 20+ years younger than all but 2 of my coworkers...)

message 20: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Halloween was POSTPONED in my town because of all the blackouts in Massachusetts. I don't know if everyone knows what's going on out here, but there was an early storm that had really heavy snow. That plus the leaves still on the trees made it very easy for trees to fall and branches to break off, which caused blackouts in most of the state. My house was out from Saturday night until 4:30 this morning, so I ended up staying with my fiance for that whole time. I guess it's kind of nice because I get to have Halloween twice (ours was rescheduled for Friday), and I got to see all the kids in Steve's neighborhood who, by the way, are super cute and very polite.

message 21: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Wow Tahleen. Hope you stay warm (and safe).
Kimberly, I will try to post some pictures later, this week is a HELL week for me.

Oh, we did go through 350 hot dogs last night. Not sure I have mentioned it, but we do hot dogs and drinks for our trick or treaters.

message 22: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Thanks Tami. I think you did mention that, if not this year than last year. Hope you had a great time!

message 23: by Tami (last edited Nov 01, 2011 10:28AM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Yes a bunch of the parents this year said their kids call us the Hot Dog People. How is that for a nickname? :) We even had a few 4 legged trick or treaters this year. I was amazed how many let their dogs eat a hot dog. My family is split. My mom, I and my older sister think human food is fine for a treat, but my younger sister and brother think we are killing the dogs giving them people food. I just made sure they didn't see me getting one for the dogs last night. :)

message 24: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (sugardustedbooks) If that's all they ate probably not a good thing but I don't see why a little would hurt. I have never heard of someone passing out hot dogs. Very interesting :) I bought candy and got one whole trick or treater haha

message 25: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Halloween is a favorite holiday in our family. My sisters, their husbands and kids all dress up and this year they were joined by some coworkers of my brother and their kid, plus his best friend and godson and him. They start at our house, then do a few streets in the neighborhood, then come back cause the kids like helping with the hotdogs as much as they like trick or treating. It is sortof a break for trick or treaters. They can sit and relax for a bit. I think the parents like it the most though.

message 26: by Bianca (new)

Bianca (sugardustedbooks) Well that sounds nice :D

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments That's great Tami! That's funny about the dogs. We used to give my lab hotdogs all the time, she loved them. They aren't bad for them either, just a little fatty.

message 28: by ~*I love Tea*~ (new)

~*I love Tea*~ | 124 comments I love Halloween!!! I went out Trick or Treating yesterday night with my younger brother and his friend it was awesome. Its the perfect holiday as far as I'm concerned free sweets!!!

message 29: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Any fun plans this year?

We are doing hotdogs again and this time the whole family dressed in a theme. We are the Pink Ladies and T-Birds from Grease. My mom, brother, sisters with husbands and kids and me!

message 30: by ~*I love Tea*~ (new)

~*I love Tea*~ | 124 comments That sounds really cool! I love themes, we didn't have a theme this year, I dressed up as a black panther, my brother was a skeleton and his friend was Freddy Kruger. I also went to a Halloween part everyone wins.

message 31: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments It's so awesome that your family does that every year, Tami. Have any more doggie trick or treaters this time?

message 32: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
No dogs in costume this year. Only had 2 groups that had their dogs with them. We did run out totally this year which is a first. Normally we have 10-12 left when we close up.

I will attempt to post pictures again, but it never seems to work for me. :)

message 33: by Koleen (new)

Koleen Hansen | 13 comments September 30,20014

to whom may concern:

Halloween this year I am dress as Hitokiri Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin manga

lest year I was snow white form snow white and the huntsman movie.

best regards

message 34: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
My family is all going Steampunk. We have started doing group costumes for serving hotdogs. Next year we were thinking old time baseball players but aren't sure yet.