FRS Brit Lit discussion

Discussion Response #4 due Tuesday 10/26 (D Block)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Costello (new)

Costello | 13 comments Mod
Discuss the ending of your book. Was it satisfying? Predictable? Was it a cliffhanger? Does it make sense?
In addition to discussing the ending of your book, please give me a couple of sentences regarding these "journal writing" assignments through Goodreads.com. Do you like or dislike using Goodreads as opposed to handwriting or typing journal entries? Any other comments or suggestions?
This response MUST BE AT LEAST A HEALTHY PARAGRAPH LONG (8-10 sentences)but can be more. This response MUST USE CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR AND BE APPROPRIATE FOR SCHOOL.

In addition to your response, I would like you to comment on one of your classmate's responses by clicking "reply" on their comment. Your comment MUST USE CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR AND BE APPROPRIATE FOR SCHOOL. Minimum of 3 sentences. Try to link your story and characters to theirs.

Quality completion of this will factor into your grade as a writing assignment/project, so please treat it as such.

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg Blinder | 8 comments The book I read was alright. Artimis comes back a few hours later from limbo to his own world to find that 3 years have past. Satisfying? Yes. Predictable? Definetly. It left me hanging though. There is a sequal to this book and I really want to read it. Using Goodreads is so much better than handwriting or typing journal entries. Plus you can look at others too.

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca | 8 comments I didn't realy like the ending to my book. I like how it ended but i don't like how it was written. i wish that the author had spent less time leading up to edmund falling in love with Fanny and more time actually falling in love with her. When he finally realizes hes in love with her she writes what ends up happening so quickly and rashly that its not romantic. She literally writes, "And then Edmund realized Fanny was the girl he was looking for the whole time." I didn't like that at all. I wish she had written it more romanticly. I Love that they finally get together becuase i've been wanting it to happen the whole time. They are the cutest couple in the world. =)

I liked using good reads more that writing out entries but i didn't like having to do the good reads. I Guess i'd rather do the goodreads then have to turn it. But in a perfect worlf i don't think i want to do either. But i can't always get what i want.

message 4: by Becca (new)

Becca | 8 comments Greg wrote: "The book I read was alright. Artimis comes back a few hours later from limbo to his own world to find that 3 years have past. Satisfying? Yes. Predictable? Definetly. It left me hanging though. The..."

For some reason i love cliff hangers and predictable endings. Ours books have the predicable ending thing in common. ANd i kinda agree about the benefit of being able to see what others are reading. ITs cooler that way to see what ohter book are about. I think i found a couple i maybe wanna read.

message 5: by Carly (new)

Carly | 9 comments The ending of my book was very predictable. I noticed throughout the book that there were hints leading up to the end, which was Noah finally proving that Dusty Muleman, was in fact, dumping sewage into the ocean.
In all, I did like using Goodreads, rather than handwriting or typing journal entries.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 9 comments The end of my book was partly predictable. The main character, Nat, returned to the present time more mature and trusting of others (which was predictable). However, there was a little twist which was satisfying. The twist was that Nat actually switched places with another Nathan who lived in the time of Shakespeare. This happened because the Nathan in Shakespeare's time got bubonic plague (which would have killed Shakespeare and him in those days), but because they switched, both Nathan and Shakespeare lived. It was not a cliffhanger and it was a bit confusing in the beginning, but then it made sense.

I don't really mind using Goodreads, but it's only a nuisance because you always have to have a computer (with internet) in order to do the assignment. I would prefer to write it in a journal so that I could take my homework anywhere. I would suggest that it be the students choice on whether they want to use Goodreads or handwrite/type the assignment.

message 7: by Glenn (new)

Glenn | 7 comments The ending of my book was very cool. The way the inspector pilled togeather all the facts and little details of the murder and conected them to the murderer. My book was satifying. One down point was there was alot of laying the sceen which was boring at times. It wasnt compleatly predictable. I had i narrowed down to two suspects out of the nine and i was right with one of them. No my book wasnt a clif hanger he solved the case very throwly. I liked using good reads better then a writen response because i found it easyir and quicker and i liked reading other peoples.

message 8: by Carly (new)

Carly | 9 comments Greg wrote: "The book I read was alright. Artimis comes back a few hours later from limbo to his own world to find that 3 years have past. Satisfying? Yes. Predictable? Definetly. It left me hanging though. The..."

I personally don't like predictable books because then it's not as fun to read as you continue the book. But cliffhangers on the other hand are definitely much better and more interesting.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Belder | 9 comments as i finished the book How I Live Now i found that i was wondering what was going to happen next.daisy and edmond to end up together although Edmond and Isaac ran off so Daisy felt lost. i had a feeling that they would end up together but the book always had you wondering what was going to happen next. she thought she had herd him but the thought of him went away. i found it to be a cliffhanger because i never new what was going to happen next.

i think that goodreads was a good way to get through to what you were reading. although it was sometimes hard if you didnt have a computer to be on but i found it interesting. i would rather be on a computer though then write it out by hand.

message 10: by Glenn (new)

Glenn | 7 comments Greg wrote: "The book I read was alright. Artimis comes back a few hours later from limbo to his own world to find that 3 years have past. Satisfying? Yes. Predictable? Definetly. It left me hanging though. The..."

That sounds cool that he came back from limbo. I like movies like that but it sucks that you were expecting it the whole time. But sounds like a cool book

message 11: by Keara (last edited Oct 26, 2010 10:41AM) (new)

Keara | 9 comments The ending of my book was predictable i guess. You knew that she had a terminal illness and she was going to die. I guess I just kinda hoped that she wouldn't. I thought maybe that some cure would come and she'd be okay, but that didn't happen. Instead the last few chapters went through the stages of her dying. Slowly she lost the ability to get out of bed, and then she lost the ability to communicate and eat and drink. The ending was really sad, but also makes you think. This book was a good book. It gives you a whole new lease on life and how you should live. It makes you appreciate the life you have. The cliffhanger was she finally fell in love. It wasn't exactly on her list, but it was the one thing she wanted.

Goodreads is alright I guess. I don't really care if we write responses on here or on paper.

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 9 comments Greg wrote: "The book I read was alright. Artimis comes back a few hours later from limbo to his own world to find that 3 years have past. Satisfying? Yes. Predictable? Definetly. It left me hanging though. The..."

I don't really like predictable books, but if this one was a cliff-hanger than it might be ok. I would have to disagree with you though. I don't like when other people read my comments. I'd prefer handwriting or typing.

message 13: by Courtney (last edited Oct 26, 2010 10:44AM) (new)

Courtney | 9 comments The end of my book was very predictable. Daisy finds out where she is meant to be and she really found herself living in England, with Edmond. Daisy and Edmond end up keeping their love for eachother going. As soon as they kissed in the book I knew they would end up together in the end. I don't like how predictable the book was. I wish it had a different ending, like Daisy going back home to see her dad because it seem like he really missed her. But I'm also happy with the way it ended becasue I think Edmond and Daisy were meant for eachother.

I really liked using good reads because I dont like hand writing things, but sometimes I dont like when everyone can read your coments.

message 14: by MegSulls (new)

MegSulls | 7 comments The end of my book was definatley satisfying. I was happy that Aslan came back and ended up defeating the white witch. Also I was happy that Edmund was forgiven for siding with the witch because even though he sinned it was fair for him to be forgiven. I guess it was pretty predicatable because the book would have been ruined if Aslan died and the witch won. Overall I liked using goodreads to submit our journal entiries. It was better then writing them out. It was pretty convienent too because we got time to work on the entries during class.

message 15: by MegSulls (new)

MegSulls | 7 comments Greg wrote: "The book I read was alright. Artimis comes back a few hours later from limbo to his own world to find that 3 years have past. Satisfying? Yes. Predictable? Definetly. It left me hanging though. The..."

Greg seemed to have liked his book it sounds pretty interesting. Also I agree, i liked goodreads a lot because it was just very easy to use and easier then handwritting everything.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Belder | 9 comments Greg wrote: "The book I read was alright. Artimis comes back a few hours later from limbo to his own world to find that 3 years have past. Satisfying? Yes. Predictable? Definetly. It left me hanging though. The..."

some times it a good thing to be wondering about the end of the book. but sometimes it's annoying that you don't know what is going to happen. i sort of like books that you know what will happen but sometimes i don't because it will ruin the book.

message 17: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn | 8 comments The end of my book wasn’t as satisfying as I thought it would be. It was good because I didn’t know if the kids would make it to their great aunt’s house, but once they did make it to their aunts, nothing happened. It wasn’t a cliffhanger, but it didn’t say what was happening next. However, the ending made me not want to read on, so yeah. IT made sense, but I thought it was dumb. The book in general was good, but it needed a much stronger ending. It maybe could have talked about the children when they grew up, or maybe if their parents ever found for them. I don’t know, the author could’ve done much better. I like goodreads because it allowed me to look at what other students though of different books and let other students see what I thought of Under the Hawthorn Tree. Typing is also a lot easier for me than writing. It’s also nice to get out of the classroom like once a week like we did.

message 18: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn | 8 comments Greg wrote: "The book I read was alright. Artimis comes back a few hours later from limbo to his own world to find that..."

I agree with Carly's response to greg's reading. Predictable books are very boring and hard to read because you know what is going to happen. However, i love cliffhangers because then usually a sequal comes out and you get to read that! I also agree with Greg about his feelings about goodreads.

message 19: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 9 comments Greg wrote: "The book I read was alright. Artimis comes back a few hours later from limbo to his own world to find that 3 years have past. Satisfying? Yes. Predictable? Definetly. It left me hanging though. The..."

Your book sounds really intersting. But I don't like predictable books. I like when you are surprised so if this book was a cliffhanger I would probably read it.

message 20: by Eli (new)

Eli P. | 6 comments I very much liked the ending of my book, it seemed to wrap up everything that was major in the story while (being part of a series) was able to seem like it could continue on with Grubbs Grady's adventures. It was predictable by about 3/4 of the way in because they explained what they had to do and if they didn't do it they would die. That would make for a boring book. It definitely makes sense and allows for a continued story.

I liked good reads as a site and I will probably still use it after the fact. I didn't like the posts you had us do; I would like to write reviews or opinions a bit more freely than the prompts given

message 21: by Eli (new)

Eli P. | 6 comments Greg wrote: "The book I read was alright. Artimis comes back a few hours later from limbo to his own world to find that 3 years have past. Satisfying? Yes. Predictable? Definetly. It left me hanging though. The..."

it seems like that book had a good ending, i may read it in the future. so while he was in limbo 3 years passed? when he returned did he age 3 years or did he not age in limbo?

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 7 comments The ending to my book was a little predictable but still, held an air of unexpected events. Even at the beginning of the book when she was informing them of small things such as her ability to read Latin they were suspicious of her. In the end, People were searching for any kind of rational excuse for the healing properties of plants. Religion was something they understood and connecting something to satanic worship and magic oddly enough was a simpler explanation in their eyes then an actual scientific reasoning. In this aspect, the book was predictable and somewhat disappointing. Due to the fact it followed every Witch tale I've heard previous to this book.

message 23: by Mike (new)

Mike | 9 comments in the ending of the book darnay is to be put to death because of the sins his unlce the marquis had done. while darnay is waiting to be executed in his jail cell carton comes to see him. carton convinces darnay to switch clothes with him drugs him and switches places with him. then the next day carton gets executed while everyone thinks its darnay.

the ending wasnt satisfying or predictable. i had no idea that carton would switch places with darnay. and it wasnt satisfying because it seems that it wasnt a real ending. it seemed like there needed to be a second book to it. although it was very hard to understand so i may have mistaken everything that happened.

i didnt like using goodreads but i didnt find it any worse or better than other journal entrys. i wasnt a fan of reading an independent book especially under the requirements that were set.

message 24: by Mike (new)

Mike | 9 comments Amy wrote: "The ending to my book was a little predictable but still, held an air of unexpected events. Even at the beginning of the book when she was informing them of small things such as her ability to read..."

sounds dissapointing that it was so predictable. but it does sound like most witch books before it

message 25: by Dylan (new)

Dylan F | 9 comments I think the ending of my book was predictable but i didn't know exactly how it would end and what grubbs would do in order to beat lord loss. I was satisfied with the entire book and am going to go on to the second book since this is a series. I personally thought goodreads was better then writing on a piece of paper. Also you can read what everyone else has to say about thier books. The only thing i didnt like is that although i enjoyed reading my book it wasnt really an indepentdent book since it had to do something about britian and I would have just liked to be able to pick any book i want

message 26: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 9 comments I didn't like the ending of my book. I thought it was too predictable. It was boring and lacked creativity. I think that Ivy should have gotten more control over her life instead of just going with the flow of how Oscar wanted her to live. She should have stood up for herself. Now she is going to lead a very boring and uneventful life because she played it safe. Instead of being a model for an artist she should have followed her dream to be a vet.

As far as this goodreads thing goes,it's a pain. It's easier to just write an essay and get it over with instead of dragging it out. Read the book, and be done with it. Then write about it.

message 27: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 9 comments Sarah wrote: "as i finished the book How I Live Now i found that i was wondering what was going to happen next.daisy and edmond to end up together although Edmond and Isaac ran off so Daisy felt lost. i had a fe..."

I love sappy love stories! I wanna read your book now! But i think predictable love stories are kinda boring. Good sounding book though.

message 28: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 9 comments Amy wrote: "The ending to my book was a little predictable but still, held an air of unexpected events. Even at the beginning of the book when she was informing them of small things such as her ability to read..."

Your book sounds really complicated. I think it's something I would check out though. You kept us all really informed. :)

message 29: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 9 comments Katelyn wrote: "The end of my book wasn’t as satisfying as I thought it would be. It was good because I didn’t know if the kids would make it to their great aunt’s house, but once they did make it to their aunts, ..."

Love love love the honestly Katelyn. :) I dislike dumb books too. Also I think that the ending wasn't very good, I've read this book too.

message 30: by Jeffdewey (new)

Jeffdewey | 8 comments Sherlock Holmes is an amazing book and really gets the reader to think about all the little details. The last story of the book was very climactic and had me focused for a good hour and a half. The last story was about a kidnapping, and a sick man who wants to throw off a prying husband. Intense, I know. Holmes trapped the man, Rucastle, so he couldn't escape. Then Rucastle tried to run but was intercepted by his own gaurd dog who teared out his throat. These are the typical endings for criminals in the Holmes stories but this ending was the best.

I like these good reads posts. They're really good because it's not as solid of a due date as the journals. I also like that they weren't every section so there's actually something to talk about and I don't have to tell you the same parts over and over. Over all it's a good idea.

message 31: by Jeffdewey (new)

Jeffdewey | 8 comments Glenn wrote: "The ending of my book was very cool. The way the inspector pilled togeather all the facts and little details of the murder and conected them to the murderer. My book was satifying. One down point w..."

That sounds a lot like my book. Maybe if we have to do this again we should trade books or something. Mysterys are pretty fine reads.

message 32: by Megan (last edited Oct 26, 2010 05:23PM) (new)

Megan | 10 comments The end of my book was pretty interesting. There was a lot of action because Davie had to destroy his creation, Clay. Clay had become a monster and killed a Mr. Mouldy. He needed to be destroyed, but before Davie tried to teach him about life. I liked it because it was also a book that involved some thought, like Davie questioning life and god and creation and what really exists. Finally clay is killed, but Davie had grown emotionally attached to his creation. Clay wasn't a real "person" but he was brought to life. Stephen also disappears and is never seen again, but he left a lasting impact on Davie. Clay, once "killed," was left in the garden and his body was returned to earth. Earlier he was discussing how humans are "dust to dust" and "This is earth clay, where we all start and where we end." But also towards the end he tells people and he wonders if it was all an illusion. Which really kinda intrigues me, based on what is life and existence. What is real to him might not have been to someone else, and "clays" life itself is not even something most people would believe. I found it a pretty interesting book, although it wasn't one of my favorites.

I feel like when I use a blog like this, it's harder to pay mind to grammar and spelling. I also don't go out of my way to check this website, so it's sorta out of sight out of mind. I'd prefer to hand write or type it, because I like to have homework physically in front of me, and i'd rather not have everyone be able to read my work all the time. I like that it isn't due that day in class, and we can do it later and just post it when ever on the day its due though.

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan | 10 comments Mike wrote: "in the ending of the book darnay is to be put to death because of the sins his unlce the marquis had done. while darnay is waiting to be executed in his jail cell carton comes to see him. carton co..."
This book seems really interested. I saw "put to death" and it caught my eye so I read your post. And maybe there will be a sequel?

message 34: by Caylee (new)

Caylee | 9 comments The ending of my book was sad but predictable. Malfoy gets a bunch of Death Eaters inside Hogwarts through the room of requirements while Harry and Dumbledore were off trying to get one of Voldemorts seven Horcuxes. Upon arriving back at the school Dumbledore and Harry saw the dark mark up in the sky and realized something was wrong so they flew right into a trap. Malfoy was supposed to kill Dumbledore but he couldn't do it so Snape did. Then Snape, Malfoy, and all the Death Eaters ran off and Hogwarts holds a funeral for Dumbledore.

I like the Good Reads posts.I prefer using Good Reads as opposed to hand writing something and passing it in the next day. I also like how we don't have to write something after every section we read.

message 35: by Caylee (new)

Caylee | 9 comments Mike wrote: "in the ending of the book darnay is to be put to death because of the sins his unlce the marquis had done. while darnay is waiting to be executed in his jail cell carton comes to see him. carton co..."

That ending sounds kind of confusing. But it was pretty nice of Carton to take Darnay's place. An important main character died at the end of my book as well, although I'm not sure how important Carton really was.

message 36: by Blithe29 (new)

Blithe29 | 8 comments At the end of Wuthering Heights Heathcliff dies and no one’s sad for him because he wasn’t very nice. But I feel sorry for him because the reason he wasn’t very nice was because he was in love with Catherine for his whole life and even though she loved him back she never wanted to be with him because he was in a lower social class than her. In another way the ending was also nice because Cathy and Haerton, who had been mean to each other through the whole story, became friends at the end and Cathy even said that she would teach Haerton to read. I liked that part because it showed that even though they were raised by Heathcliff, who was uncaring and rude, they can still be friendly with each other.

I didn’t like goodreads that much because it was really hard to remember when they were do since we didn’t have to turn anything in during class. Also it seemed kind of silly that we all had to get accounts on this website and post things when we could just hand them in when we have class every day. It seems like a lot of the time teachers use new technology even when it doesn’t simplify anything.

message 37: by Blithe29 (new)

Blithe29 | 8 comments Keara wrote: "The ending of my book was predictable i guess. You knew that she had a terminal illness and she was going to die. I guess I just kinda hoped that she wouldn't. I thought maybe that some cure would ..."

Our books are a little bit similar because someone died in both of them. Also in both books the character that died was in love with someone. But yours sounds much more sad.

message 38: by Keara (new)

Keara | 9 comments Blithe29 wrote: "At the end of Wuthering Heights Heathcliff dies and no one’s sad for him because he wasn’t very nice. But I feel sorry for him because the reason he wasn’t very nice was because he was in love with..."

I guess that our books are pretty similar. When the character in mine dies, the only people who are there are her parents, her brother, and the one person she fell in love with. It's like the whole forbidden lovers thing sort of. The two characters were together, wanted to be together, but the situation just wasn't ideal.

message 39: by Matt (new)

Matt | 6 comments I thought the ending of my book was somewhat predictabel, i assumed it would end in violence which it did. Everyone started to be killed(stabbed, executed, etc) for example Rosencrantz and Guildenstern were executed. I felt like the ending came out alright. Overall i didn't exactly enjoy this book but it was written well ,just not what id prefer to read about.

I liked the online responses better, apposed to writting an essay everyone other couple of days. If we do any other reading things like this we should keep on using goodreads, its easy to figure out and follow assignments.

message 40: by Ky (new)

Ky C | 5 comments First of let it be known that i did not infact my book entirely. see the characters of the normal version just "pride and the prejudice" were very cheesy and the had awkard moments of nothing going on. but -still a good book. but my book with zombies just threw the characters a little far off course. like were going from love story to zombie love story i dont know ive bean reading some reviews, one qoute was "the author got lazy". for me ok book but also missing alot of fancy word play.

message 41: by Greg (new)

Greg Blinder | 8 comments Becca wrote: "I didn't realy like the ending to my book. I like how it ended but i don't like how it was written. i wish that the author had spent less time leading up to edmund falling in love with Fanny and mo..."

That sucks. I'm not much into romance novals but I feel you. The book should have more about Edmund and Fanny in love than them falling in love. BTW, i think you contradicted yourself in your responce.

message 42: by Dominic (new)

Dominic Arietta | 7 comments The ending of my book was very predictable. In the end the green with was killed by will, barney, jane, and simon.They did by a spell they learned how to do in a small magic book. after they did this they returned the grail back to the town of cornwall and everyone was happy.I didnt really like goodreads. i think that if you had us write little responses and had them into class that would be alot better. it was also hard to keep track of when there was a new resons and when it was due.

message 43: by Dominic (new)

Dominic Arietta | 7 comments Blithe29 wrote: "At the end of Wuthering Heights Heathcliff dies and no one’s sad for him because he wasn’t very nice. But I feel sorry for him because the reason he wasn’t very nice was because he was in love with..."

i thik thats sad that no one felt bad that healthclif died. even if he was mean people should be sad for somebody that died. and i didnt like goodreads either.

message 44: by Dylan (new)

Dylan F | 9 comments Keara wrote: "The ending of my book was predictable i guess. You knew that she had a terminal illness and she was going to die. I guess I just kinda hoped that she wouldn't. I thought maybe that some cure would ..." i think that sounds like a good. Book and in a way small way releates to my book about how someone is sick and needs help. Also i agree with you many people take thier life and health for granted and should appreciate it more

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy | 7 comments Mike wrote: "in the ending of the book darnay is to be put to death because of the sins his unlce the marquis had done. while darnay is waiting to be executed in his jail cell carton comes to see him. carton co..."

The ending of your book feels like Darnay basically cheated his way out of death. From your review, I would most likely agree with you that the book sounds unfinished.

message 46: by Nick (new)

Nick | 8 comments my book seems to leave you hanging, i still dont really no who or what the evil forces are called the DARK and i dont reall think is that violent there was a threat to kill a puppy tho thats about it.this book wasnt to exicting it was kinda boring alot pointless stuff and piontless writing. and it dident make much sence to me cuz i havent read the other books and i dont think i am guna judging on how this 1 has been.i think goodreads is a very good way of doing assiments they give me time to do it the way i like too and i would rather us this then any other ways ive used before.

message 47: by Nick (new)

Nick | 8 comments Dylan wrote: "Keara wrote: "The ending of my book was predictable i guess. You knew that she had a terminal illness and she was going to die. I guess I just kinda hoped that she wouldn't. I thought maybe that so..."

dylan this time reading your thing it kinda lost me it dident sound like harry potter and im cunfused now.

message 48: by Kevin (last edited Nov 04, 2010 06:34PM) (new)

Kevin Skribiski | 7 comments The end of my book was predictable. I thought through the whole book that it would end in violence. I also thought many people would be killed including Rosencrantz and Guildenstern which they did.
I thought the book ended the way it should but I don't like predictable books. I think it should have ended differently. It should have been a cliffhanger.

I like online postings better then written answers or essays, because I'm always on the computer so I can mesh it in with my free time.

message 49: by Bradleyy (new)

Bradleyy | 7 comments Kevin wrote: "The end of my book was predictable. I thought through the whole book that it would end in violence. I also thought many people would be killed including Rosencrantz and Guildenstern which they did...."

YO KEVIN, sweet post. I feel like you had an intresting and fun book. How should the ending have been different?

message 50: by Bradleyy (new)

Bradleyy | 7 comments The ending of my book was predictable. I thought that some characters were going to go crazy and have mood swings, a few did but at the end it really showed with the Chorus. The book was like a relgious drama more than anything, it wasn't bad but I didn't enjoy reading it at all. I felt like there could have been a little more to the play. Like the setting of it, it only took place in two places the Cathedral in Caterbury and the Archbishops hall. I felt that it could have been more intresting if it was more of an action than an emotional drama. The ending was not a cliff hanger. the end of the book did make sence I just thought there could be more to it.

« previous 1