Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

www.half.com?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kellie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Kellie (KRHeck) | 14 comments Anyone here use half.com? It was recommended to me by a fellow book lover and I'm finding it addictive. They're mostly used books, but I've purchased them for as little as 75 cents (The Red Tent). They also have textbooks.

Not everyone might like this, but I do: when I bought The Historian from half.com, it showed up and had "BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY" stamped on it. And yes, it's that Boston. I thought that was pretty cool. The Red Tent was from a Washington D.C. library.

Glad to find this group, I'm definitely an addict. Today I did my every-now-and-then cleaning off of my nightstand so that I can find it. It's usually covered in piles of books. And then the piles continue on my poor dog's crate and the floor, LOL. At any given time, I'm in three to seven books.

message 2: by Tory (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Tory | 2 comments When I was a student I bought and sold my textbooks on half.com, and always ended up MAKING money at the end of the quarter. That, I loved.

But, even though the books are a good deal, unless you buy one at a time, then paying $3 for shipping on every book, it ends up not being such a great deal anymore.

Though online is good for finding specific books, I much prefer the atmosphere of hanging out in a used book store, and happening upon something amazing.

message 3: by Faith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Faith | 2 comments I love half.com. I am currently doing 3 reading challenges, with a few more starting up shortly, and I have had difficulty finding a lot of the books I needed at my local Half Price Books. So I ordered like 12 or 13 books from half.com, and got great prices. So while I do prefer browsing in the book store, when I can't find what I need half.com definitely comes to my rescue.

The shipping can be a little expensive; on the other hand, when I only pay 79 cents for a book I've been searching for for 3 months, it still comes out to a reasonable price even with shipping added in.

message 4: by whichwaydidshego? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) Brandy, I'm with you on the joy of wandering through a bookstore thing - just wrote about it in another post in this group. As for half.com, I have sold many for my mom on that site. I rarely buy books online, but...

Great story: I was looking for a hardback copy of one of my favorite books - as I'd sadly given away all of the copies I'd purchased - and was having a really hard time finding one anywhere, even full price. I went on half.com one day and I found a copy SIGNED BY THE AUTHOR for a fraction of the cost of even a new paperback! Half.com ROCKS! (So does the book! LOL)

message 5: by Kim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Kim (Kimbers81) You are right theres nothing like going to the actual book store.

message 6: by Xysea (new)

Xysea  (Xysea) I agree with using half.com. It turns out okay in the end, most of the time.

But ordering online is usually a last resort for me, for harder to find books, or if I've scoured my local hunting grounds and come up empty...

message 7: by Foxthyme (new)

Foxthyme | 48 comments I do a ton of ordering online because I'm quite far away from most bookstores. We have a few shelves of books in a local store here, and that's all. So half.com? Thanks for the awesome tip!

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (CoachSayre) | 3 comments I've never used half.com. But I definitely use zooba.com for my hardback purchases since it's $9.95 and no shipping. They have new releases.

message 9: by Snorkelbuddy (new)

Snorkelbuddy | 1 comments I've never purchased from half.com because of the shipping costs. I live in Hawaii and most merchants charge international rates. So I usually end up buying a new book from Amazon.com for the same price (and I get free shipping because I always buy more than $25.00 worth of books).