Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Let's Get Specific! > Sara Creasy

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hmr28 (new)

Hmr28 | 71 comments Anyone read any of hers? Loved the first in her new series. The 2nd is supposed to be coming out next year some time.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I have Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy , but I haven't read it yet. I have heard good things though, so I'm condfident it'll be a good read.

message 3: by Windypicnic (new)

Windypicnic (garbagebooks) | 29 comments Like Michelle, I have Song of Scarabaeus but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Did you see the cover for Children of Scarabaeus? Lovely~. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into book one.

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments This discussion got me really curious so I started reading Song and I couldn't put it down! It's really great and intriguing so far! I'm really curious about where this is going, it looks like there's a great plot in store!

message 5: by new_user (last edited Oct 30, 2010 07:31PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments I am so thankful to this thread. I couldn't stop reading it from the second I picked it up! I loved it! Edie is so sympathetic and Finn is to die for! I must find out more about that cold and competent slave/serf! Thanks for bringing it up, Hmr! I recommend it to everyone in the group! Linnea was definitely right to recommend. If you like her works, you'll like this one. But dang, I have to wait til April! >.<

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore new_user wrote: "I am so thankful to this thread. I couldn't stop reading it from the second I picked it up! I loved it! Edie is so sympathetic and Finn is to die for! I must find out more about that cold and compe..."

I have this one packed away, and you're making me want unpack it and start reading it NOW!

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments LOL, Michelle! It's worth the unpacking! xD

message 8: by Windypicnic (new)

Windypicnic (garbagebooks) | 29 comments I'm really looking forward to starting on this series now, this thread has pushed the book up my TBR pile!

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Yay! I hope you like it, Shiori! You have to come back and discuss when you're done!

message 10: by Windypicnic (new)

Windypicnic (garbagebooks) | 29 comments Thanks, new_user! I'll definitely be back here for a chat about it!

message 11: by Windypicnic (new)

Windypicnic (garbagebooks) | 29 comments November is pretty hectic for me, but I keep escaping from the day-to-day pressures with a chapter or two of "Song of Scarabaeus". I'm absolutely loving it, limiting myself to a chapter or two at a time is so difficult! I'll pop back here again to comment when I'm done but I just had to gush a little at the half-way point. Definitely glad I listened to the recs ;)

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Yay! So glad you're enjoying it! I'm really glad to see one of these newbies panned out. It's a "quality" work to me. I practically zoomed through this thing! And I really don't usually do that unless I love it! How are you liking Finn?

message 13: by Windypicnic (new)

Windypicnic (garbagebooks) | 29 comments Thank you, and thanks for the rec! I agree, it's a quality book. I wish my life wasn't so hectic at the moment, I have a feeling I'd curl up in a chair and just devour it if I had the chance!

As for Finn? Dare I say he's one of the most complex and compelling heroes I've read in a long time. Edie is an interesting heroine too, though Finn has more of the swoon factor for me lol. ;)

I'll stop by again when I'm done~.

message 14: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments He is totally swoon-worthy, and I agree, you don't see that many complex heroes, just broody ones. Can't wait to hear what you think when you finish!

message 15: by Windypicnic (new)

Windypicnic (garbagebooks) | 29 comments Yes, exactly! So many heroes are just outwardly brusque and nothing else. With Finn, there's both inner and outer complexity. I love the layers Creasy has given each character, they're all so very real.

message 16: by new_user (last edited Nov 10, 2010 10:38AM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments Yes! Her characterization is wonderful! I do love that ambiguity and realism about each character. And it was really kind of unexpected because there's a lot of action and not a lot of tedious inner dialogue.

Speaking of realism, I thought she managed to include that without becoming bleak, like other authors *coughAguirrecough*. LOL. She showed the positive too.

message 17: by Windypicnic (new)

Windypicnic (garbagebooks) | 29 comments Yes! There's such subtlety to her descriptions and her dialogue sounds very real. The characters don't just sound like the author's puppets, doing this and that because the author commands it. Their actions and exchanges make sense. That might seem like something that's obvious to do in a story, but so many still can't get it right - and certainly not with the same nuanced delivery as Creasy.

While I have been enjoying the Jax books, I do feel as though Aguirre is trying to one up the suffering in each book. There's not the same level of bleakness in "Song of Scarabaeus" despite all of Edie and Finn's peril (imho).

message 18: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments I agree about Jax vs Scarabaeus and about her dialogue. I don't think it ever came across as contrived, which is oddly a rarity in novels nowadays. You would think anyone would catch on when a conversation sounded scripted or characters sounded robotic...

message 19: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 154 comments Did anyone else love the way Haller was written? Everytime I turned around he surprised the s**t out of me. I kept telling my husband, "boy am I glad I don't serve under that XO!" He never responded the way I expected him too. I love to be surprised.

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Yes! He wasn't written as clearly evil or clearly good. Really, none of her characters were. I loved that. He did some heinous things, and then he would be all nice. I thought that was more realistic than a lot I've read.

Were you as disturbed as I was by the shower scene?

message 21: by gert (last edited Nov 13, 2010 06:16AM) (new)

gert Shiori wrote: "While I have been enjoying the Jax books, I do feel as though Aguirre is trying to one up the suffering in each book. There's not the same level of bleakness in "Song of Scarabaeus" despite all of Edie and Finn's peril (imho)."

yes, THIS! you've managed to articulate what i wasn't able to after reading the aguirre series! there's so little HOPE!

i LOVED songs of scar. (can't spell that out w/out looking it up!) it had all the good stuff of aguirre (but not the sex, dammit) but without the hopeless feeling of angst.

message 22: by Windypicnic (new)

Windypicnic (garbagebooks) | 29 comments Ahaha thanks Gert! I couldn't think of another way to phrase it. I don't doubt that Aguirre has something strong planned for the conclusion of the series, but the journey there is wrought with suffering. Things aren't all rosy in Scarabaeus but it hasn't brought me down like the Jax books often tend to!

message 23: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 154 comments new_user wrote: "Yes! He wasn't written as clearly evil or clearly good. Really, none of her characters were. I loved that. He did some heinous things, and then he would be all nice. I thought that was more realis..."

EEK! I can't remember the shower scene. Must not have bothered me. :-)

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments No way! It was very bothersome! LOL. Maybe you blocked it out. It's right after she meets Tilda and Amma?

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara Creasy (saracreasy) Finally joined Good Reads and came upon this thread - can I just say I'm really enjoying reading your discussion about SONG's characters. And - oh (not in a good way), the shower scene!

message 26: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments OMG, Sara, is that really you? How awesome that you decided to join us! And is that Finn in your pic? *_* Could that possibly be the new cover?

message 27: by Sara (new)

Sara Creasy (saracreasy) Yes, it's me and it's the new cover and it's a new Finn with new guns!

message 28: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments There can never be enough Finn! LOL. Or guns! I love the way you blend action and character dev!

Btw, in case you want to merge your profile with your author profile, you can follow this link:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/confi...

message 29: by Sara (new)

Sara Creasy (saracreasy) Thanks for the tip! I've applied to do that. I appreciate the comments about the book. It's always fascinating to see what others think, especially in casual conversation like this rather than reviews.

message 30: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments No prob. Glad to have you here. :)

message 31: by Windypicnic (new)

Windypicnic (garbagebooks) | 29 comments Great to have you here, Sara. I'm glad you've enjoyed our discussion - we've loved your book! ;)

message 32: by new_user (last edited Dec 30, 2010 10:24PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments I'm actually playing a game right now with a character who's "leashed" much like Finn was. He has a slave collar, and he has to do the bidding of his female captor/companion or get a splitting headache, and he dies if she dies, LOL. I never thought I'd get to play that dynamic until Enslaved. I just rented it tonight.

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara Creasy (saracreasy) Hah, cool concept! :) Does the game explain how they got to be that way?

message 34: by new_user (last edited Jan 01, 2011 01:10PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments Yeah, she collared him so that he would take her home. She's like Evie, smart and with skills, but she doesn't think she'll make it home without help. So she forcibly recruits him, LOL. I like Evie better. ;) She doesn't choose to enslave Finn.

message 35: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I just finished reading Children of Scarabaeus and it's wonderful! Loved it! I read it really fast because I couldn't wait to see what happened and I was not disappointed. What an excellent and unique story!

message 36: by Hmr28 (new)

Hmr28 | 71 comments I LOVED that game! Very fun and I loved the story until the last few minutes then I was like what the heck??? Hopefully they will come out with another game. Do you play other platformer games with good story lines? Can you recommend any? I have played Castylvania and like that as well.

I loved the COS as well. I thought the way it was resolved was great and will keep an eye out for any other books she writes. Well done. I thought there was a lot more romance in the 2nd one which I like!

message 37: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Oh! Missed your comment, Hmr! I will keep my eye on Ninja Theory. I haven't come across a lot of good platformers. I haven't played them yet, but maybe Batman, Prince of Persia, Uncharted (PS3), and Assassin's Creed, none of which quite have the appeal of Enslaved. What a unique team, LOL. It's not platforming, but have you played Mass Effect? Fabulous story.

I'm going to be starting Children soon now that my friends all have their copies. Whoop!

message 38: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Oh! Missed your comment, Hmr! I will keep my eye on Ninja Theory. I haven't come across a lot of good platformers. I haven't played them yet, but maybe Batman, Prince of Persia, Uncharted (PS3), and Assassin's Creed, none of which quite have the appeal of Enslaved. What a unique team, LOL. It's not platforming, but have you played Mass Effect? Fabulous story.

I'm going to be starting Children soon now that my friends all have their copies. Whoop!

SubterraneanCatalyst (thelazyabsentmindedreviewer) | 9 comments I came across this thread and just finished reading both of these books (Kindle format) and LOVED them. Plot and character development are excellent and yes there were surprises..so rare that you can have a bit of a surprise and not be cynical about it or just guess it from ten miles away. This was an awesome read. Also- I was happy that the series seemed finished at 2 books- not a ten or fifteen books series. At least I feel if she writes more in this universe I'll just read it for the pleasure of her writing vs my need to fix my cliffhanger blues (which IMO is almost a form of writers blackmail lol).

message 40: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments LOL, SC! I know what you mean! One series in particular comes to mind where every book had a cliffhanger ending! Frustrating and a tad manipulative, imo, but I suppose an author's got to do what an author's got to do. As long as that's not the only trick an author has up her sleeve, and she can actually turn out a good story...

Glad you liked the books! I'd love to see more books in the universe or more from Creasy, period. :D