Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Are you a meal conversationalist?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I watching The Office a couple days ago and I realized I was slightly tense watching the characters all eat together in that little lunchroom. If I can pull it off 90% of the time I close my door, turn on the computer, and eat alone. I've been around people so much that I don't want to be around other people anymore. However, if I'm in the right mood, I'll sometimes go upstairs to the cafeteria and eat with some friends or even go up there and eat alone with the paper. What about you? Do you want people around you at lunch? Are you big meal conversationalist? Is this different for different meals and contexts? I've never been a big fan of that whole "huge family dinner" thing like they show some families on tv do on Sundays or whatever. My family was WAY too dysfunctional for that. Although Kevin's always sound like fun, so I'm trying to snag an invitation to Kokomo...:)

message 2: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) You can't have a big meal without an even bigger conversation. That's the joy of getting together with friends and family over a meal; the conversations will certainly flow, along with topics and libations galore. So, yeah, I'm a meal conversationalist.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) I'm all business once the food gets to the table. The time for talking is before the food is served and after it has been devoured.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments as RA mentioned, family meals at my house are more like dinner with the gypsies than walton's mountain. we are all loud talkers and laughers. someone always has a story to tell with everyone anxiously awaiting the big punchline. my daughter candace is the best story-teller as she is really really funny and does all the voices and such. momma kimma (my wife's kitchen name) puts the feed on with everyone having things the way they want it. she'll make 3 kinds of sauce for pasta to make everyone happy. always a grand dessert and then into the family room for more laughing, talking and usually some kind of singing.

with that being said, i love to eat out by myself. quiet dinner with a book or something to read. i can do some dinner convo but i am a very fast eater and am left sitting awkwardly as other ease their way through the meal

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love a good mealtime conversation most of the time: at restaurants, with family, with friends.

I would prefer not to see anybody while I eat breakfast on a weekday. I just want to eat and read and chill with the dog. Ditto for most lunches. I spend a lot of time during the day talking to people, and I want a few minutes of respite during lunch, unless I've specifically decided to be social.

message 6: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart When I'm at school, I usually have lunch with either myself or one friend. I don't like lunching with new people. Sometimes I would much rather sit and watch Netflix movies with my iPod Touch while I eat. I don't like big groups for lunches.

Dinners, I like big groups, and I don't mind eating with new people, but sometimes I feel myself carrying the conversation, and I don't like it. I guess I talk too much.

message 7: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Oct 25, 2010 12:40PM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Irish father + Italian mother + smartass younger sister who partied as much as I did but graduated high school 5th in a class of over 500 while barely cracking a book + pasta + wine = well, you do the math.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments You drink whiskey and wine to forget about your sister who put you to shame academically. Did I do the math even somewhat close? :-)

message 9: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Jim wrote: "You drink whiskey and wine to forget about your sister who put you to shame academically. Did I do the math even somewhat close? :-)"

More or less.

She still couldn't spell to save her life, so I had that to lord over her. On the other hand, my math grades went up in flames once I hit 7th-grade algebra. I have problems with the abstract.

The wine just came with the territory.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments My sister was high up in her class too, but she studied a lot. I wasn't that dedicated, so I seldom studied.

message 11: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I suppose it depends on who I'm dining with, how comfortable I am with them, where we're eating, and which meal we're sitting down to. I don't usually eat breakfast, but when I do, I'm no good for conversation. I'm lucky to get the food from the plate to my mouth...I'd rather just have coffee and quiet. For lunch I usually eat by myself and try to do a little reading. Dinner is a different story though, if I'm with people I'm comfortable with, I don't mind lots of talking and laughing...with one exception, people need to chew and swallow their food before talking. If they show me their chewed food I will start gagging...YUCK. If I'm not comfortable, I don't say much and just try to get finished a.s.a.p.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
Not at breakfast. I usually don't eat breakfast. Just coffee and an enormous cone of silence. Do not try to speak to me.

Lunch - usually I prefer to be alone but it depends. Working lunches (groups, meetings) sometimes. Dinner - again it really depends - I do like the idea of everyone having dinner together and that's how we did it growing up, but like Alecia, please don't talk WITH FOOD IN YOUR MOUTH. Big pet peeve. I like a certain amount of ambient noise so I don't have to hear people munching.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sorry.

message 14: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments ::flings a spoonful of mashed potatoes at KD::
Laughing, Pointing Smiley Pictures, Images and Photos

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Damn. Is this going to turn into a sexy food fight?

Ok, maybe just a normal food fight?

message 16: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I usually don't eat breakfast. Just coffee and an enormous cone of silence. Do not try to speak to me."

Me either. My stomach doesn't stabilize until around 10 a.m.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Clark wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "I usually don't eat breakfast. Just coffee and an enormous cone of silence. Do not try to speak to me."

Me either. My stomach doesn't stabilize until around 10 a.m."

Mine reaches equilibrium around 11. I love big greasy breakfasts - just not until close to lunch time. (Not that I eat them very often.)

message 18: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments ::immpatiently taps stiletos, smoothes her fishnets, tugs on the hem of the sexy french maid costume...looks around for KD...thinks she spots him in leather chaps *squints* and...a chainmail thong? Vera niiice!::

I'm bracing myself for retaliation...

message 19: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments smiley food fight Pictures, Images and Photos

That's alright, I got cold and put my jeans and hoodie back on.

message 20: by Phoenix (last edited Oct 25, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Was what foreplay?
The food fight? Aw no...do you usually consider food fights foreplay?

message 21: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I was trying to make RA happy...seemed like he was really looking forward to a sexy food fight. Did you like it RA?

message 22: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Wait...what!?!? No, no, no...there was no using! surpised smiley Pictures, Images and Photos

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Woops! Sorry to disturb!

Breakfast is coffee. Do NOT talk to me.

Lunch - sheesh sometimes I skip that too! But lunch is also quick, down and dirty.

Dinner - we do the Very Bad Thing and sit around our big coffee table with the TV on. And talk during commercials. Or else Richard hollers.

Dinner with others, talk and laugh before, get serious when the food comes with side opinions about the quality of this dish and that, afterwards settle back and squirm with big bellies but some random chatter as we wait for dessert, which then perks us up for more lively chatter.

message 24: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments It's okay, Lori...I didn't mean to hijack the thread, it just kinda happened.

@KD...I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel used...I'll be happy to have a food fight with you anytime. ::offers a hug:: big hug smiley Pictures, Images and Photos

message 25: by Phoenix (last edited Oct 25, 2010 06:19PM) (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments *drops ice down KD's pants at the same time banana is being smashed into her hair*

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.