Chick Lit discussion

Favorite titles/authors?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Denise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:06AM) (new)

Denise | 29 comments Mod
So far this year I really enjoyed Sheila Norton's Would I Lie To You? Then again, anything British will do for me ;)

message 2: by Danell (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Danell | 3 comments I love anything by Nicholas Sparks...I don't know how he does it, but man, he does it every time!

message 3: by Denise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:17AM) (new)

Denise | 29 comments Mod
I'll have to check him out...thanks!

message 4: by Jewelz (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:23AM) (new)

Jewelz (galijewelz) | 8 comments my favorite Author is VC Andrews, i love all her books!!

message 5: by Katie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Katie If you're looking for something fresh, funny and young try Jen Lancaster (Bright Lights, Big Ass & Bitter is the New Black), and a new fun series to check out is the "Little Lady" series by Hester Browne from London. And who doesn't like Sophie Kinsella? She's everything that chick lit means to me! :)

Guilia, I'm totally going to check out Andrews, thanks for the heads-up! :)

message 6: by Jaime Pruitt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Jaime Pruitt | 1 comments Clare Naylor - all of her books are great but I especially enjoyed The First Assistant, The Second Assistant, The Goddess Rules, Dog Handling, Catching Alice, Love: A User Guide

Plum Sykes - The Debutante Divorcee

Lorraine Despres - The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell and the Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc

Jane Green - all are good, especially Jemima J

Laura Levine (Jaine Austen series)

Sophie Kinsella (Shopaholic series)

Helen Fielding (Bridget Jones series)

Laura Wolf

Carole Matthews

Rebecca Wells (Divine Secrets series)

message 7: by Janelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:25AM) (new)

Janelle  (uhohjanellio) | 1 comments I love Jane Green and Sophie Kinsella!! They're just so much fun. I'm looking to explore new authors though...

message 8: by Christine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:25AM) (new)

Christine | 1 comments I've enjoyed most of Jane Green's novels, and the Bridget Jones series is what got me on this fun chick lit genre! I'm going to try Emily Giffin(?) next . . .

message 9: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:25AM) (new)

Erin My personal favorites right now are MEg Cabot (she wrote the Princess Diaries, but also books for grown-ups....see "Babble On") and Donna Kaufmann...perhaps a little predictable, but always enjoyable!

message 10: by Jewelz (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:25AM) (new)

Jewelz (galijewelz) | 8 comments Its no problem, thing is she writes about how teens or young gets sexually abused!! but i can relate to it and thats why i read it!

message 11: by Lauren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

Lauren | 6 comments JODI PICOULT!

message 12: by Shawna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Shawna | 2 comments Jodi Picoult is, by far, my favorite author. I am always unable to put down her books, and the next one can never come fast enough!

message 13: by Christy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Christy (christylewis) | 16 comments I'm new to the group and wanted to post here to recommend Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series....these are hilarious, with elements of mystery and romance. Great reads for summer!

message 14: by Cybele (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Cybele | 1 comments Favorite chick lit authors: Sophie Kinsella, Meg Cabot, Gemma Townley, Cecilia Ahern. Also liked these titles: The Little Lady Agency, Girls' Night Out & Girls' Night In (compilations), Bergdorf Blondes, Something Borrowed, The Accidental Bride. BTW, I just read Cocktails for Three by Madeleine Wickham, AKA Sophie Kinsella! Not as humorous as the Shopaholic series, but nicely written and kept me interested.

message 15: by stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

stephanie (furies) oh, favorite authors . . . i admit my bias is toward new york-based chick lit, but.

i adore karen quinn (the ivy chronicles and wife in the fast lane), i second the clare naylor rec, i love plum sykes and think bergdorf blondes is the ultimate in new york chick lit, jennifer weiner is amazing, diana preterfund (the ivy league secret society series) is young and new, and as for titles, i also liked "the little lady agency", "better than i know myself", "dirty girls social club", and "24 karat kids". i know there are more . . . curtis sittenfeld's new book was surprisingly good. oh, and sara gruen's books are fantastic.

message 16: by Martha (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Martha Doherty You should read the Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig. There are three books so far with the Secret History of the Pink Carnation being the first. They are smart, funny and easy to read. A perfect way to spend an afternoon. The best chick lit I have found recently.

message 17: by Angel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

Angel | 1 comments As far as I'm concerned, Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series is everything I was looking for between Bridget Jones books.

I also enthusiastically add my voice to Christy's (see message 14) about the Stephanie Plum series (One for the Money, etc.) by Janet Evanovich. It's hilarious chick lit coupled with a compelling dash of adventure.

message 18: by Katie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Katie E Linder I didn't see anyone mention Elizabeth Noble, a British chick-lit author - does anyone read her?

message 19: by Shannon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Shannon Has anyone read Louise Rennison? Her books are considered young adult, but her main character Georgia Nicholson is like Bridget Jones during puberty after drinking a case of soda. You will laugh out loud in public, you can't help yourself! I also really enjoy Marian Keyes - she always leaves me feeling warm & fuzzy.

message 20: by Katie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Katie E Linder If you liked those two by Noble, try her latest "The Friendship Test". I like her character development and have been keeping my eye out for her next project.

message 21: by Bridget (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Bridget I don't think I've seen anyone mention Jennifer Cruise. I've enjoyed everything I've read by her - Bet Me, Welcome to Temptation, Faking It, Fast Women.

I'll throw in another vote for the fantastic and always entertaining Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, and Sophie Kinsella (although I think the Shopoholic series is getting old. My favorite book of hers is Can You Keep A Secret).

Maeve Binchy is also a favorite of mine, although I dont think she is considered "chick lit".

message 22: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Erin (wwwgoodreadscomgenregirl) Jennifer Weiner (little earthquakes, good in bed) and Marian Keyes (watermelon or lucy sullivan is getting married) are great

message 23: by Mare (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Mare S (tommygirl) | 1 comments I love Jennifer Weiner's stuff, espeically Good In Bed, and I highly recommend Tiffanie DeBartalo. She has two books currently and they're both amazing, especially God-Shaped Hole.

message 24: by Denise (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Denise | 29 comments Mod
I ADORE Georgia!!! I can whip through one of those books in about an hour, though, so I always feel cheated, like they should have made each book longer -- combined titles -- something to get more bang for your buck ;) But yes, definitely a fun read, teen chick lit or whatever!

message 25: by Patricia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:42AM) (new)

Patricia | 1 comments Best book, Hands Down: The Time Traveler's Wife. Best book ever.

message 26: by Paige (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:45AM) (new)

Paige | 2 comments I'm addicted to Jackie Collins right now. I especially love the Lucky Santangelo novels. It has a little bit of everything to keep me turning the pages- and give me a little escape!

message 27: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Julie (jooliaaah) i have two favorite chick lit authors: jane green and jennifer weiner. another fav for me, but not chick lit, is anne lamott. i dig her brash style.

message 28: by Hollyhocks (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Hollyhocks I hope this qualifies as chick lit .. I love Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series .. which I've actually just discovered ... have been listening to it (narrated by the amazing CJ Critt) and reading them. Also I love the Sophie Katz series by Kyra Davis .. can't wait for the new one! Meg Cabot's Heather Wells series isn't bad either! I love a bit of romance-comedy-mystery . . . .

message 29: by Molly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:06PM) (new)

Molly G | 1 comments I totally agree with Jennifer Weiner being amazing. I yearn for new books by her because I love her style and her wit!!! :)

I'm also a sucker for Jennifer Crusie, her romance novels suck me in!!!

message 30: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Jessica (jessmorgan03) | 15 comments Wow, too many favorites. I love Jennifer Weiner, Cara Lockwood, Sophie Kinsella, Jennifer O'Connell, Sue Margolis, Cecelia Ahern, Rebecca Wells, Lauren Weisberger, etc.

message 31: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Ashley I loved Emily Giffin's novels... I've read 3 and can't wait for more to come out!

message 32: by Meredith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Meredith Watson | 2 comments I never read chic lit until a couple of years ago. I really like most of it, esp. Jennifer Weiner, Laurie Notaro, Billie Letts. I just started my first Jodi Picoult.

message 33: by Jodie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) I've just finished reading the first 3 books in the Jessica Darling series (Sloppy Firsts, Second Helpings, Charmed Thirds). They are journal-style books starting with Jessica as a 16 year old high school sophomore. I'm in love with Marcus Flutie and have to keep reminding myself that he's just a character in a book. Haha!

It's a great series & I can't wait to get the 4th book.

message 34: by Laurel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Laurel Osterkamp | 2 comments I am currently reading the 4th Jessica Darling novel. I agree with you, Jodie, that it's a great series. I bought the last two in hardback, something I hardly ever do, just because I couldn't wait to find out what happens. I hear there is a fifth book in the works!

message 35: by Jana (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Jana | 1 comments Hello All!
I'm also a huge Jennifer Crusie fan (Faking It), as well as Sophie Kinsella (Undomestic Goddess)! I've also noticed I've been reading a lot of the "teen/chick lit"! Maybe because I'm almost 30 and in denial? Anyhoozie, I love Libba Bray's "A Great & Terrible Beauty" series, as well as Ann Brashares' Sisterhood series...has anyone read Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series? Those are next on my list!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Valerie Frankel, and my favorite chick lit author Melissa Nathan.

message 37: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 1 comments I love Anna Maxted, she is in the same vein as Jane Green & Meg Cabot I would say.

message 38: by Mandy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Mandy I'd go with Jane Green, Cecelia Ahern and Kathy Lette. I haven't read many chick lit books, just getting into them now and really enjoying them. I will have to keep a look out for some of the authors mentioned on this thread, thanks!!

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy | 6 comments I'm a big Meg Cabot fan, but I also enjoy reading Emily Giffin's books (Something borrowed, something blue).

message 40: by suzypie58 (new)

suzypie58 | 2 comments Yeah, I LOVE Stephanie Plums. I also enjoy the Sue Grafton books and Perry O'Shaunnesy mysteries. These are great for a half hour before falling asleep and are usually good for a laugh (Grafton and Evanovich's anyway).

message 41: by suzypie58 (new)

suzypie58 | 2 comments Have any of you mentioned Nevada Barr? The first of hers that I read was about a woman firefighter which I was at the time. The women are always foresters or some outdoorsy types.

message 42: by KrisT (new)

KrisT What about Marian Keyes?? She has a series and some stand alones but even the series ones could be read anytime. The first one is called Watermelon which focuses on one sister and then there are a few more that each picks a sister. She is an Irish author and they take place in Dublin or England for the most part I beleive.

message 43: by Keris (new)

Keris (KerisStainton) My favourite books of the last couple of years have both been by Caprice Crane. Her first, Stupid and Contagious is hilarious and her second, Forget About It, is great too.

message 44: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 6 comments bang BANG and Paula Sherman just got nominated for the American Book Award. They don't have categories, but if they did, it would be in Chick Lit.

message 45: by Megan (new)

Megan | 5 comments My favorite chick lit writers are anna maxted and marian keyes. I love the british/irish humor and find myself laughing out loud often. The best maxted is "Is Anyone Out there?" and my favorite keyes is "Rachel's Holiday." I have yet to read maxted's latest, a tale of two sisters, but I have read all of keyes's books including her two collections of short stories, Under the Duvet and Further Under the Duvet which are great. I am also a fan of Jennifer Weiner's books, although I havent read them all, I think she is clever. I loved her short stories too, The Guy Not Taken. Bridget Jones was also my introduction to the chick lit genre. I'm finishing the last shopaholic book in the series and have considered reading some of her books authored by "madeline wickham". I agree that Jodi Picoult is fantastic! I'm so glad to join this group, there are lots of authors mentioned that I would love to try out, thanks for all the great suggestions.

message 46: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Moran (AuthorKellyMoran) So I'm posting me...LOL
I know, I know.
But if you like this genre, and it's what I write...well
When The Leaves Stop Falling- by Kelly Moran
God's Speed and God Bless Everyone.
Happy New Year
Kelly
home.wi.rr.com/kellymoran

message 47: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 2 comments I absolutely LOVED "The Time Traveler's Wife". Also, Nicholas Sparks is a favorite. "How To Teach Filthy Rich Girls" by Zoey Dean is a great book too. Anything by Jane Moore is worth reading too.

message 48: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 1 comments If you have not checked out Lisa Jewell you're missing out!! I love her books, especially Thirty Nothing and Ralph's Party.

message 49: by Jann (new)

Jann | 17 comments I am new but I love so many of the ones listed---Jennifer Weiner, Marian Keyes, Jennifer Crusie, Cecelia Ahern, Rosamunde Pilcher, Maeve Binchy, Adriana Trigiani, Billie Letts, I also like a British author called Katie Fforde, but her books are hard to get in the US.

message 50: by Emily (last edited Nov 26, 2008 10:34PM) (new)

Emily (BOOKAHOLICEMILY) | 5 comments I love Lock and Key By Sarah Dessen she and it isawesome!!!

« previous 1