~Opinions~ discussion

Other > Censorship

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a post I made in another thread, but I thought I'd start a thread just for censorship.

Apparently, there is a school in Texas that has banned the entire Vampire Academy series due to "strong sexual content and nudity". However, book six hasn't even been released yet, so they can't make comment about the content. Also, the banning was done before the sixth book was even written. Here's a quote from the blog that I thought was funny.

Stephenville ISD is "so committed to censorship that they are shattering the space-time continuum to literally ban books from the future," Chris Sims of Comics Alliance wrote this week.

I think it's so incredibly narrow-minded to ban a book period, much less before it's even been written. Now, I admit, there are some steamy scenes in the series, but nothing gratuitous or vulgar. In fact, I thought the scenes were very tastefully done.

Anyway, feel free to rant. I've already had a hissy-fit over it.

My question is: How do you feel about censorship?

message 2: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I didn't know it's been banned. Nor have I read the book. But I think that no-one has a right to ban anyone frum reading anything if their parents are ok wiv it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, that's who started the whole thing. It was a parent who hadn't even read the book. I completely agree with a parent's right to monitor what their child reads. It's their right as a parent. But for someone to actually petition to have a book banned (when they haven't even read it) is just ridiculous.

message 4: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) That parent had the right to stop his/her child... but banning the book is kind of stupid. I mean, it's none of that persons business wat other ppl read.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. If I ever had kids (which, I mean, I won't, but still), I would reserve the right to monitor what they read.

message 6: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Yes, my parents do so too. Evntho I end up reading what I want... but whatevr. They don't go kick in sumone else's business.

Actually when I was a bit younger, I bought aa book home wich was not suitable for my age. My dad told me to give it back and I was like 'my frend read it too!' and he said that it wasn't his business what anybody else read... he was just bothered abt what I was reading.

message 7: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman I'm not sure I understand the facts yet. Is it the school banning the series of books from its own library? Does the series of books have sexual content in the first five books? (I know almost nothing about Vampire Academy).

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, it's a YA novel, and there is some sensuality in the books, but it's nothing like how they are making it out to be. The school is banning the entire series from its library. The sexual content that is in the books is more . . . hinted at than explicit. I've read other YA novels that are far worse in terms of sexual content.

But I think the banning was started because the author was supporting another author who had been banned by that same school, Laurie Halse Anderson. Richelle Mead (author of VA) supported Anderson's books Speak, which deals with some pretty heavy topics.

message 9: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Sorry to be a pain, but what level of school is it (high school, middle school)?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

You aren't being a pain :). I'm going to post a link to the article I read. It might answer things better than I could.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-...

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Other parents have no right to decide what other peoples kids should or should not read! I guess parents have the right to decide what their kid reads, though mine never have. I don't think my parents see the trouble in reading a book, and since I've been reading constantly since I was 9, I don't think they'll start dictating it now.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, Emma. If a parent wants to dictate what their child reads, it's none of my business. But it is certainly not right for them to say what is right for anyone else.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Well, they can say it, but they ain't allowed to do anything about it.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't even like people presuming they can say what's right or wrong for someone else :P.

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Nope, me neither. Like, I like to hear other peoples opinions, and I like to discuss them - but the second they try to "convert" me, I'm pissed.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm cool with someone rationally, logically explaining their side to me; but you're right, I hate when people try to convert me because it's like saying, "Your opinion is totally wrong."

message 17: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Ok. This is a difficult topic to discuss over the net because so much gets lost in the translation. However, and at the risk of getting assaulted (based on the current posts), under the particular facts of the story Candace posted I do not have a problem with what the school district did. First off, I should say that censorship in general is distateful to me and I would much rather give people the option of deciding for themselves whether they want to read a particular book. It's only natural that society operates this way and it's part of our basic freedoms. However, what we are talking about here (unless my understanding of the facts in the story are wrong) is a school district deciding that, for a junior high age group (12-14), it is not going to carry these books in its school library for it's students to take out because of what it deems obectionable content. That is not the same as a government entity deciding that a public library open to everyone is not going to stock popular fiction because of the government's views as to what everyone should or should not read. That would be offensive to me. And believe me, I don't feel this way because it involves Vampire Academy books (which I have not read and don't have an interest in reading). I am a huge Stephen King fan and would feel the same way if the school district decided against putting "Pet Sematary" in its junior high library because of content. The school district is not banning it's students from ever reading these books, it's simply saying it won't put them on the school library shelves. If the student's parents are ok with their children reading the books, they can go to the public library and rent the book or your local bookstore (or online) and buy it.

On the issue of banning a particular book in a series that has not been published yet, it seems to me no different than objecting to all of the "Saw" movies even though "Saw VII" isn't out yet. We all know it's going to be the same type of movie with the same general content. That's what series do, they continue the themes. It's not the same as objecting to a book that has no similar history attached to it (which I would agree is wrong).

Again, I want to make clear I do not support censorship in general and find it rather distasteful. I am just trying to put this particular story in context and show how, for me, it's not the same thing as a general ban on books as we usually think of it (like in "Fahrenheit 451" or book burnings in history).

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, that's very well said Gatorman, and I promise, I won't assault you :P. I hadn't thought of it that way, with it being such a younger group of students.

I respectfully disagree with banning any book, but that's just my personal opinion.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I dont agree with censorship, because tbh, i think that society is becoming a bit too shelterd latley. Like banning musik video's and now books!? like seriouly i think the people that try to get these things banned think that people are alot more sensative than they are. I dont think a book like this is going to have much effect on the way a teenager grows up because its just a book. Its reading for entertainment, i dont understand what they think is going to happen if they read about this stuff, half of the teenagers i know do the same stuff or worse so i dont see the point :P.

And just out of curiosity, how come you dont want to have kids Candace? You dont have to answer if you dont want to, i'm just wondering :).

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, Lauren. I don't like censorship in any form.

And I don't mind you asking. My husband had a vasectomy a couple of years ago. He was adamant about not having kids, and I was on the fence about it. It's just one of those decisions we made together. If I was with someone who really wanted kids, I might want them, too. But since I'm not, I'm okay with not having them.

Of course, I don't know how I'll feel when I get older :P.

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren So does your hubby just not like kids then?
thanks for answering lol :P

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

He likes kids. He just doesn't want any of his own. It's also partly a health thing for me since I'm so tiny. A pregnancy would be really hard on me.

And you're welcome :). There aren't many questions I won't answer, so feel free to ask away :).

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I find that really strange, i have never met anyone that just doesnt want kids and wont have them, i mean i havent MET you but y'know what i mean lol. What would happen if you wanted kids in the future? since he already got a vasectomy.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I would just have to accept that we wouldn't have them. *shrugs* He's really passionate about not having kids, and I'm just ambivalent about it, so I don't know what will happen if that changes. I guess we just wouldn't have any.

The doctor who performed the procedure had to have an interview with me before my husband could get the vasectomy, and he flat out asked me, "What kind of woman doesn't want kids?" I thought the question was a little rude, but I just told him I didn't; which is true. Right now, at this point in my life, I don't want kids, and I can't see myself ever wanting kids.

message 25: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) wow, thas harsh. dont mind me saying lol, but sumthing must've hppnd dat brought abt these... strong feelings

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

You mean my husband?

He just doesn't want kids. He never has. *shrugs* When he was twelve, and he first learned what a vasectomy was, he said, "Yep, that's what I want."

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Candace (Amare Infinitum) wrote: "I would just have to accept that we wouldn't have them. *shrugs* He's really passionate about not having kids, and I'm just ambivalent about it, so I don't know what will happen if that changes. ..."

Hope you dont get offended when i say i find it strange lol. Its just that...i dunno i really havent met anyone that is so adoment about not having kids. I dont have the best relationship with little children lol but i always still think in my head that i will have them lol. But to each their own i think the saying is lol.

message 28: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Yeh I haven't met any1 like dat either. well, he must have his ideas/reasons.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren We should make a group about this... lol

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not offended :). It's a decision we made together. I think (and maybe this is me being naive), if I ever got to a point where I really, truly, adamantly wanted children, he would consider getting it reversed. But, I never went into the procedure thinking I would change my mind because a vasectomy is supposed to be permanent.

I'm cool to continue discussing this, but we might want to move it to the chat thread :).

message 31: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) nuthin else to say really. It's new to me, this. But I guess people like dat exist :)

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Yeh i think we should make this a group i wanna knowif anybody else thinks the same ect. lol

message 33: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Based on the responses, I am curious as to whether you (meaning anyone reading this) think it's ever ok for a school district to regulate any content (books, educational or popular films, etc) within its schools (including elementary, middle, junior high or high school). Is there a particular age group that the idea of "censorship" does not apply to?

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I don't agree with censorship at all. However . . . and I hope I don't sound contradictory when I say this, but you know how books are given a reading level? Or, well, they are at the schools in my town. Each book has a particular reading level (not measured by content, but vocabulary). I wouldn't have a problem if the books were sorted like this, and the ones that were above the student's reading level were not stocked on the shelves.

Does that make sense? I think I was rambling...

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

@ Lauren...I'm gonna make a chat thread for it :).

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I don't think banning a book is neccesary. If the kid dosen't want to read it, they just don't. Nobody forces you to pick up a book and read it (unless it's schoolrelated, which I don't think VA is).

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Well i grew up without censorship, my mum and dad just brought me up in a realist kind of way, i wanst shelterd, and i think i turned out ok :P. I dont think anyone should be shelterd because it doesnt do any good i dont think, i think that if your shelterd you dont have a tough enough skin. So i dont agree with censorship in any form, i think people should beable to read whatever they want.

@Candace..kool thanks =]

message 38: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman I understand what your are saying. I guess what I was really getting at is whether there is any school age level at which you think regulating book content is appropriate based on content and not on vocabulary level. I'm getting the feeling that no one else thinks so, which is kinda surprising to me. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm don't support censorship for the sake of censorship. From the article I read (the one I posted in here), it seemed like the school was targeting Mead because she spoke out in support of Anderson when one of her books was banned.

Regulating content for the students . . . it's a touchy subject for me. When I was in school, we didn't have YA novels in the library at all. I don't know why that was, but it never bothered me back then.

message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael Candace (Amare Infinitum) wrote: "My question is: How do you feel about censorship?
"

I don't know anything about the books, but I can't stand censorship in any form. I hate the idea of someone deciding what's suitable for sharing and what's not. Adults can certainly make that decision for themselves and parents can make it for children. Another form of censorship I don't like is on mailing lists or message boards like this where two people are talking about something - no anger, no flames, just talking - and it goes on a long time and someone else gets bored with the thread and asks them to stop or go to private email. If someone's too lazy to use the delete key then that's their problem!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, Michael. I'm against censorship. I think my rant proves that :P.

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I agree too. And i cant believe you didnt get YA novels in your library...we have them. I think thats quite bad considering, if you are in high school you are a young adult which is the point in YA novels lol so i think thats stupid tbh.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

They might have them now, but they didn't when I was in school (which was ... six years ago).

message 44: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) being in a country where the media, and books, and tv and everything used to be censored, I obviously dont agree with it.

message 45: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 158 comments I do not believe in censorship of any kind. But authorities decide which books to buy for public school libraries and city libraries. It is a matter for the school board and if you do not agree with their stand on censorship then fight it: show up at school board meetings, form groups, picket there are a lot of non-violent methods of fighting censorship. I encouraged my son to read but once he was old enough to go to the library by himself,then he was old enough to pick out what he wanted to read. We had a lot of interesting discussions around our kitchen table. To this day my son says that he learned more at the kitchen table (and the example of my activism) than he ever did at school. My parents did not censor the books I read and since I was reading at college level by the time I was 12, that was a good thing. Luckily, since the librarian knew me from the age of four& a half...they knew what I was reading and at what level...there were only a couple of times I was questioned when I started in the adult section instead of the teen room. The Catholic church still bans books and movies and ideas on a regular basis. I read Gone With The Wind only because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. If I do not approve of a book, movie,tv or radio show I do not read,watch or listen to them. that's my idea of censorship. Just so long as the authorities do not prevent booksellers from selling any book they choose to offer the public I am a happy camper.

message 46: by Annemarie (last edited Nov 18, 2010 02:07PM) (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments Sighhh.
Oh, censorship. How I hate thee.
So yeah, I try not to censor my self... But sometimes its jsut not appropriate to say what's really on my mind.
I think censorship in books is the stupidest thing ever though, and schools too.

message 47: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments I cant stand censorship. I mean if there is like an R rated movie on TV or something and it has sexual content nudity and swearing, I hate when they censor it. I also hate with music videos like when they have to bleap out cuss words and stuff, it just makes it annoying. And I think it is also dumb to censor books, cuz I mean its just a book. What kind of harm can it do?

message 48: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments i think it is the responsibility of the people who watch/read/listen to these things. they should definitely give a warning, but should not be banned.

message 49: by David (new)

David jones | 135 comments I mean I can understand anyone from like 1 thru at least 12 to be censored, but i dont understand teenagers having to be censored cuz they are more mature like Im 15 and im still freakin censored. its stupid.

message 50: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Wait, what would be wrong with an 8-year old listening to Eminem?

« previous 1