Aussie Readers discussion

State by State Round-up > South Australia

Comments Showing 1-50 of 836 (836 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

message 1: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3071 comments So is anyone in this group from South Australia. I have had a look around and haven't noticed anyone?
Just curious if there are any Adeladians out there. If so, feel free to say hello :)

message 2: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Yay! An SA thread. I'm not from Adelaide Booklover23 but I know there are several group members who are. Keep an eye out on the introductions thread and if new members are from your neck of the woods we'll direct them to this thread.:)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I am a big believer in 'If you build it they will come.' Make some posts in here, tell us what is happening in SA. A little patience and work will draw others to you.

message 4: by S.B. (new)

S.B. Wright (seandbookonaut) | 8 comments I live near Port Broughton, about 2 hours north

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sorcha-sidhe) Booklover23 wrote: "So is anyone in this group from South Australia. I have had a look around and haven't noticed anyone?
Just curious if there are any Adeladians out there. If so, feel free to say hello :)"

I'm from the Flinders Ranges in South Australia.
I considered starting an SA-thread, but have been super busy with work + studies that I just hadnt got around to it. It's nice to finally have one! :) I'm sure there are plenty of South Australians around the place...right? ;)

~S.

message 6: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Even though I now live in the NT, I lived in SA until 1993, in Port Lincoln then in various suburbs in Adelaide. I always thought, when I retire or the weather up here gets to much I would end up in Coffins Bay which is 30 minutes from Port Lincoln.

message 7: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Just thought I'd copy a link here from one of group member Lillian's posts.

Lillian wrote, "Are you a member of the South Australian Writer's Center? They have some young authors and are a great place to find support. I have been to a few sessions they have run. Here is their website:

http://www.sawriters.on.net/

They offer workshops and support to budding authors they also organise writing groups. If you're serious about writing joining a critique group is a fantastic way to learn."

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sorcha-sidhe) There's a lot of high grass around at the moment in the Flinders, and where we are plenty of salvation jane! :(

Spring is usually dustier than summer here because it's far more windy in spring. Summer is just hot. Although, this year spring has been more wet than windy thanks to La Nina, so hopefully summer will be mild. Weeks of 40*C+ gets a bit much...

~S.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sorcha-sidhe) Carmel wrote: "
Paterson's curse is a major problem in SA, might look nice in the dist..."

Summer is usually spent inside, in the dark! It just gets too hot outside to do anything! I much prefer the winter months.

~S.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 366 comments Sadly summer's getting closer! I'm from Elizabeth in SA, and I've just found this section for South Aussies :-)

message 11: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Grant (lilliangrant) Oh I missed that we had our own section. What summer? Did it arrive and I missed it? I love the hot weather but alas we are not feeling it so far in Adelaide. I live in St Agnes North East of the city at the bottom of the hills. I work on the city fringe so I travel to and from the city everyday.

I am the Lillian Mandy quoted before.

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 366 comments Bingo Carmel! :-) to be honest, I'll be happy if summer holds off a bit longer. Just 'til after Christmas, so we're not sweltering while serving the turkey lol

message 13: by Lillian (new)

Lillian Grant (lilliangrant) If summer arrives Wishful and you don't want it send it my way. Last year my garden died due to lack of water so I bought drought hardy plants that are now dying due to getting to much water. I am thinking rocks would be the safer option.

message 14: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3071 comments The wether has been weird of late.
A few weeks ago it was BOILING HOT, almost unbearable.
Then it was rainy and cold,
now its just...perfect temperature. Grey, but neither warm or cold.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (butterfliesinthesun) | 145 comments Summer is not my favourite season.. i think my ducted air conditioner will be working over time.. i will be spending it in my new home this year.. Summer is going to get even hotter this year.. i am not looking forward to it.

message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 71696 comments Mod
I was born in SA..Clare. Lived in Watervale till I was 2, then moved, with Mum and Dad, to Binnum to live with my Grandparents. At 7 we moved to Mount Gambier, and I left at age 26 to live in Newcastle. I married my husband, and we moved back to Naracoorte, then up to Adelaide for a few years. After a few more moves, we now live in Newcastle, where we will stay!!
We head back to SA fairly often as we have family in both Mount Gambier and Adelaide....will be over in February at this stage!!

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oh, wow! That's amazing Carmel! Coonawarra and Penola are 2 places we know really well!
My husband and I did a driving holiday last year, and spent 2 nights in Bendigo, did the gold mine, travelled the scenic route on the tram all through the town, went to the Chinese museum, took oodles of photos! Then we spent time in Mount Gambier, Adelaide, then drove up and stayed in Clare, looked around Watervale, found the old house I lived in when I was a baby...I hadn't been back in 55 years!!! It was a wonderful trip..took lots of photos, visited the Clare Valley wineries....tasted, bought! :D
Travelled home through Broken Hill, Mildura, Deniliquin, Gundagai then back to Newcastle.

message 18: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Yes, we love Bendigo. That's why we stopped there this time. We have driven through a number of times, but wanted to see more of it. Thanks for the photo of the Museum, that is a beautifully colourful 'flower'...what exactly is it? It's very different to our visit...if I remember it was in need of renovation when we were there.
It's great to revisit the past...now that my hubby has retired, we are able to travel more, so hopefully will be getting back there more often. Also to see new places that you've heard of but never been to..

message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks Carmel...yes, it has been very special, we have thoroughly enjoyed our travels...hope to continue into the far, distant future..:)

message 20: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Hi there, obviously I haven't looked beyond the end of my nose to find that there is indeed already a South Australian thread happening. Ok ok I'm not very smart....

Anyway I live in South Brighton, loving it there. Used to live in the Adelaide Hills (Blackwood and Belair).

Reading over the initial posts (a lot to do with the weather - we are polite arent we???)) I'll just add that I'm glad to see summer back off although it was pretty mild. I love Autumn - wind and cool with a promise of winter to come. Maybe that's so I can indulge in reading away all those dark winter days?

How about you others? When is your best reading time of year?

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Maggie wrote: "Hi there, obviously I haven't looked beyond the end of my nose to find that there is indeed already a South Australian thread happening. Ok ok I'm not very smart....

Anyway I live in South Brighto..."

Great to see you on here Maggie...don't believe the 'not very smart' comment either..lol

Go right ahead with the A&R chat you were talking about in the other thread, we'd all love to read it..

I'm an ex-SA person, used to live there when I was a teenager and younger. I was born in Clare, lived in Watervale till I was 2yo, then moved down south. Left Mount Gambier when I was in my early 20's.

My best time to read? All the time ;)

message 22: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments I am an ex South Australian person too. Was born in Port Lincoln and live there for over 20 years and then went to Flinders Uni in Adelaide, and worked for a couple of years (in Kingston Park)before heading up north.

message 23: by Maggie (last edited Apr 03, 2011 10:04PM) (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Brenda, a dear friend of mine has recently moved to Blyth. That's near the Clare Valley isnt it?

Dee-Ann, I also studied at Flinders, and now work at Flinders Medical Centre. What did you study at Flinders Uni?

message 24: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Yes, is certainly is Maggie! It only has a tiny population, about 300, and is only about 15kms from the Clare Valley. Lovely little spot too.

My daughter was born at the Flinders Medical Centre!!! She'll be 27 in July!

Wow, Dee-Ann, you as well! I love SA..we go to visit as often as we can!

message 25: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 168 comments I'm in Adelaide too! ;)

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 366 comments Me too :-)

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 366 comments It's nice to meet all the other SA people on here!! ;-)

message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Michael wrote: "Im live in Adelaide too and have done so for many years. Before that i lived with my folks in Whyalla and before that Woomera wich is a little country town up north."

My dad worked in Woomera back in the late 40's early 50's!!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Is it muggy their like in South Texas, sometimes I just cant stand being wet one more second!!!!

message 30: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Nancy C. wrote: "Is it muggy their like in South Texas, sometimes I just cant stand being wet one more second!!!!"

The humidity is terrible Nancy...I'm on the east coast of Aus, NSW, and the humidity is terrible. I remember humidity in Adelaide too, and I agree, to be continually wet with perspiration is horrid!!!

message 31: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3071 comments I never realized we had so many South Aussies here :)
Hi everyone!

Me, I've lived in Adelaide for the last 15 years. Actually, my entire life :)

message 32: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

★ Jessica ★ wrote: "I never realized we had so many South Aussies here :)
Hi everyone!

Me, I've lived in Adelaide for the last 15 years. Actually, my entire life :)"

I guess you could say you were born there Jess ;) lol

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 05, 2011 09:06AM) (new)

You take a shower, wet. You go into an air conditioned room, out, wet. This bussines of going in and out of an air conditioned room, only to get sweaty again, gross! You have, I dont know how many layers of sweat on your body! Its they only time I take cold showers! I like my water warm, but its so uncomfortable here, a cool shower feels like heaven!

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Nancy C. wrote: "You take a shower, wet. You go into an air conditioned room, out, wet. This bussines of going in and out of an air conditioned room, only to get sweaty again, gross! You have, I dont know how many ..."

Yes Nancy...my major 'pet' hate too...Autumn and Spring are my seasons!! lol

message 35: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Oh no......another book shop closes. Borders in the Mall is shutting very soon, and apparently they are no longer honouring gift vouchers. I'm almost feeling guilt now cos I often buy my books on line - you just cant ignore the prices, especially for those on a budget.

message 36: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3071 comments Are Borders having a sale?

message 37: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 168 comments Hey Maggie - blame the stupid rules that make books so expensive here. If they could offer a competitive price I'd buy local - a couple of dollars is no big deal - but when books cost up to three times as much here, why wouldn't you go for the better deal?

message 38: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3071 comments Thanks :)

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Michael wrote: "There are sales on but at the moment there not very impressive. 20% off all fiction novels. Im guessing as the closing date gets closer we will see bigger discounts."

That's pretty poor, given that A&R were straight away 50% off everything in the store, then as it was closer to closing, they upped it to 75% off everything!!

message 40: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

But they're closing within 8 weeks aren't they? Oh well, they have always been dearer!!

message 41: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Carmel wrote: "I know this might sound critical, but I feel I would prefer people have their jobs than us get discounts and squabble about how much of a discount we can get. Just my opinion."

I agree completely Carmel...I'd much prefer all the Borders and A&R to remain open, for the staff all to have their jobs...no argument from me. Just, when they are closing anyway, they could possibly discount as A&R have...

message 42: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3071 comments Yeah, of course it would be better to see those stores remain open and keep their jobs. However, thats impossible: they are closing, so its silly of them to only offer 20% off. Im sure in their last week or so, that discount will get much bigger.

message 43: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Just received an email from Borders advertising an in store sale of 20-40% off. They say their online book selling will continue as usual, it is only the actual store closing.

message 44: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3071 comments that actual store is the only thing that matters :(

message 45: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 366 comments I actually thought Borders would be safe, as it's the only one we have here. I don't mind ordering things online, but it's also good to be able to go into a bookstore and browse. All we'll have in the city now is Dymocks, isn't it?

message 46: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3071 comments Yep, Dymocks and some independent book stores are all we have left.
I know that the Angus & Robinson at Norwood is still there, but under a different name. Same goes for the one at Edwardstown, which is reassuring. As long as there are still books, and a decent selection of them, im not fussed what the name is.

message 47: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3071 comments Yeah, but is it closing? Or staying open?
The ones at Norwood and Edwardstown will be staying open for the long run, since there has been a change of name. If that makes sense?

message 48: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 366 comments lol so true. Books are my addiction; I can't walk past a bookstore, I always have to go inside :-)

message 49: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 366 comments At the manager's meeting at work on Wednesday, they said that A&R Central Market, TTP, Marion and Elizabeth are staying open. I don't know if it's a case of 'at this stage' or permanently, but right now it looks like they're the only company stores in SA staying open.

message 50: by Amber (new)

Amber (elfkingdom) | 366 comments Things are ok for now, thanks Michael :-) Haven't managed to find another job yet, but I'm still looking. Not too sure I want to continue in retail, though. I've done that for the best part of ten years, and want to try something new. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what that is yet lol

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17