What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Early 90's, maybe a trilogy, different races of people live spread out, one race buy computer chip upgrades for their brains

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave | 1 comments First read this around 98. I'll do my best to explain what I remember.

It starts with a race of people who are small, dark, strong and are farmers. The young kids growing up are taught to fight and survive. Then a boy is born who is not the same as the rest of the village. He is very light in colour and bald. He grows to be very tall and slender and fights not by wrestling like the others but uses a form of martial arts he invents by watching eagles (I think). I can't remember what he is named so I'll call him X.

At a certain age, the young people of the tribe are told to go and live in the "wastelands" or "deadlands" or "outlands". Which is an area of land which lay between the tribal village and a futuristic city called "Mecha" (I think). The kids try to survive for several years to become adults and they will eventually return to the tribe.

It turns out that the people in the futuristic city all look like X from the village (again I think they are called "Mecha"). The difference is though that they insert computer chips into their brains from birth to make them smart and this, in turn, makes them more money to buy better chips. If the chip fails during their lives, they revert back to a baby like state. They think that this is permanent brain damage and the "Mecha" with the failure is pushed out to sea to die.

In X's time during his initiation in the "wasteland" he ends up in "Mecha city" and falls in love with a girl who's chip has failed and he rescues her from death. While doing this he learns there is another race of people who live on islands out to sea, who come in and take the bodies of he "baby mecha".

He teaches the "baby mecha" who then eventually falls in love with him.

My memory of the books gets really sketchy from here. I know there is another race of people who are crazy, mohawk wearing punks, who all drive trucks around and mine stuff for the "Mechas" I think.

Thanks to anyone who helps.

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby | 214 comments I hope your book is found. Sorry I can't help, but it sounds like a fascinating read.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess | 1 comments Could it be The outcast trilogy by patricia bernard? The first book is called the outcast. It sounds like it with the mega's and the brain chips...

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40168 comments Mod
Dave, are you still looking for this book or trilogy? Was it The Outcast Trilogy?