The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Television/Movie Mysteries > Sherlock - New BBC production on Masterpiece Mystery

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
I just finished watching the new BBC production of Sherlock on Masterpiece Mystery and while I had some misgivings when I first heard about this updated version I have to say it was very good.

What did everyone else think?

message 2: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments I'd been looking forward to watching this, and have to admit I loved it. By the end of the ep you could see how Holmes and Watson had become friends. They just clicked together. Some clever writing too.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I loved it, too!! Very good job of updating to modern times. Steven Moffat is the co-creator and also modernized the Jekyll & Hyde story very well. I love his work.

message 4: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
I saw some pics, which look great, but they wont even let me watch the trailer here in Italy :-(

message 5: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9317 comments Mod
I'll report back later-- I put it on tivo !

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 444 comments I was all set to poo-poo it -- it's set in modern times, with a pretty young Sherlock -- but I found it intriguing. I confess I fell asleep midway through (me being tired, not to do with the program) so I can't assess the quality of the mystery, but I will go back and finish.

Donna wrote: "I just finished watching the new BBC production of Sherlock on Masterpiece Mystery and while I had some misgivings when I first heard about this updated version I have to say it was very good.

W..."

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I had already had my evening nap ... woke up at 10:30 & decided to watch just 30 minutes of it & finish up this morning before work. Well, I was enjoying it so much that I watched the entire show!! LOL

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

it was good enough to encourage me to get out my deerstalker hat and curved white pipe for a Halloween costume party :-) Liam

message 9: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Pictures please, Liam!!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

will get 'em and try to send 'em.. I'm a newbie and haven't tried attaching a pix...

message 11: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

I've opened a thread under fun and games where you can post photos. If you need help on how to attach a picture, send me a PM and I'll give you instructions. (I should probably post instructions somewhere... I may get to that this evening...)

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 408 comments I enjoyed the modern take on Sherlock Holmes and like Carol found it intriguing. I sometimes found it difficult to follow the dialogue, but as the accents and actors' speaking patterns grow on me, I should pick up more. I'm looking forward to following the series.

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 98 comments On the DVR list... I'm hoping I'll enjoy it along with the rest of my family.

message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 444 comments Beth wrote: "I enjoyed the modern take on Sherlock Holmes and like Carol found it intriguing. I sometimes found it difficult to follow the dialogue, but as the accents and actors' speaking patterns grow on me, ..."

I found it difficult to folllow the dialogue as well; for me it was not so much the accents as volume. Everything sounded muted/garbled. I've found this before on Masterpiece Mystery productions.

I am looking forward to the next one though. If I can tear myself away from football, baseball, and feeding trick-or-treat-ers, I will watch.

Apropos of nothing, I can't help thinking that the lead actor who plays Sherlock would have been a far better choice for Edward in the New Moon series than Robert Pattinson...

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate | 4 comments We just finished watching the three episode series here in Aus and by coincidence I had recently started reading the original novels.
There are a lot of parallels between the books and the new series. Some of the dialogue even comes straight out of the novel and there are plenty of scenes and references that link directly back to the originals.
I really like the new series, bit annoyed that there are only three and we have to wait a year to see the next lot!

message 16: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
I watched the second one last night and it was as good as the first.

message 17: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice I saw my first movie of Sherlock last night. I really enjoyed it. But IMHO I believe that the books are better than the movies and I have his complete works on my Christmas wish list. Although I do like the books better I just love the characters accents. It really adds alot to the movie.

message 18: by Janice (new)

Janice Wegener | 53 comments I am glad to read comments on the new Sherlock series I thought it was my TV or my hearing was bad or both and yes, I do find that with Masterpiece Mystery everything is garbled but before your comments I thought it was all in the above glad to hear that it's not only me who is having a problem. I am loving the series.

message 19: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments I'm enjoying the series. I have to say I laughed out loud when Sherlock showed up on Watson's date. He has a friend for the first time in his life and he's being so possessive of him!

Karen, I have the (dis)advantage of only having read the first story (A Study in Scarlet). But after buying a Nook recently Barnes & Nobles offered both ebook volumes of 'The Complete Sherlock Holmes' for free and I was overjoyed to download them. I look forward to reading all of Sherlock's adventures.

message 20: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Dorie, I'm jealous. I want the nook too. :-/ maybe for Christmas (fingers, toes & ankles crossed)! I laughed out when Sherlock showed up for the date also.

I also had to get used to the way they talk. I had to keep rewinding to check out what they said again & again. But it didnt take too long. I can't for next weeks. I just don't understand why they are only doing a few episodes.

message 21: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments Karen wrote: "Dorie, I'm jealous. I want the nook too. :-/ maybe for Christmas (fingers, toes & ankles crossed)! I laughed out when Sherlock showed up for the date also.

I also had to get used to the way they..."

Yeah, the UK tends to have extremely short seasons. I think they were "testing the water". Hopefully when they come back with Season 2 there will be more episodes. And I hope you get a Nook! That way I have someone to loan my ebooks to.

message 22: by Janice (new)

Janice Wegener | 53 comments I missed the second in the Sherlock series (football you know) but will catch on my On Demand sometime this week. I think it's going to be a great series. I don't remember who plays Sherlock have never seen him in anything before this, has anyone else?

message 23: by Heidi (last edited Nov 02, 2010 02:23PM) (new)

Heidi | 98 comments After the shock of seeing old fashioned Sherlock (I think the current reincarnation is perfect in terms of the original character) in modern times (I like that he doesn't rely too much on technology), we're really enjoying the new PBS series... saw the first two over the weekend-- the whole family liked it.

message 24: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Dorie, Now I want the Nook even more. I feel like a child, "I WANT IT NOW". I would have an even bigger library! Do you like any other genre's besides Mystery/Thriller?

message 25: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Just got caught up on Masterpiece Mystery and I really enjoyed the Sherlock episodes.

message 26: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments Karen wrote: "Dorie, Now I want the Nook even more. I feel like a child, "I WANT IT NOW". I would have an even bigger library! Do you like any other genre's besides Mystery/Thriller?"

Other than crime fiction, I read mostly popular fiction and some fantasy/sci-fi. My recommendation if you're planning to get a Nook, is start following the freebies on B&N now and getting them. Then you'll be able to download them to your Nook when you get it.

message 27: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Dorie, I have already begun downloading free book for the Nook. But as far as Sherlock Holmes I want the complete works of him in hardback. There are just some books that I really want to own.

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate | 4 comments Karen wrote: But as far as Sherlock Holmes I want the complete works of him in hardback. There are just some books that I really want to own."

I've been borrowing them from the library, but also wanted to own a copy of the complete works. I found a one book hardback complete edition on thebookdepository.com for $16 - no postage charges. It arrived this week, it's rather large of course, but I'm quite happy with it!

message 29: by Dorie (last edited Nov 11, 2010 05:30AM) (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments Karen, I understand needing to own your favorite books. I'm the same way. I'm happy to read it on my Nook, but if I really love it I have to own a paper version to put on my bookshelf and smile at.

For anyone who missed the Sherlock series, they released the DVD of the first series yesterday in the U.S.

message 30: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Christmas list!!

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments Sherlock has been recommissioned, there will be another 3 90minute episodes next year.

This was the surpise hit of the summer for the BBC. The networks over here do quite short runs of drama series (like the Sky adaptions of Mark Billinghams first 2 books - each was 3 1hour episodes and had a excellent cast).

Also, the co-writer (Steven Moffatt) is rather busy writing Doctor Who and Martin Freeman (Watson) has just been named as Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit. It was reported that Freeman was originally going to turn down The Hobbit because of shooting conflicts with Sherlock - but happily it was sorted out.

message 32: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments Charlotte, I hope they show Sleepyhead here in the U.S. soon or at least it on DVD. I love Billingham's series.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments They've done Sleepyhead and Scaredycat - David Morrissey plays Thorne (Billingham always wanted him to play him). I haven't watched any of it as yet, it's still waiting for me on my Sky+. Final episode of Scaredycat is this weekend in the UK.

message 34: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyanc) | 14 comments I just happened to catch the last episode Sunday night, I thought it was great. You can watch all three episodes on pbs.org until 12/7. I saw thre first episode that way and will be watching the second one tonight.

message 35: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Kate a BIG THANKS for the info about buying Sherlock Holmes. I will hopefully be purchasing it tomorrow while drinking my 1st cup of coffee!

Who all saw the last episode last night? I cannot believe how it ended! I was floored!

message 36: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) No spoilers!! I haven't watched it yet!! LOL We are on the go all the time lately. I'm anxious to see it now ... more so now!

message 37: by Lee Barrow (new)

Lee Barrow | 1 comments I think it is well done series. I, being a purist of the Sherlock Holmes stories, was a little worried at how it would adapt to modern time--but they did it very well.
Can't wait to see more of this series next year.

message 38: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 98 comments No spoilers but we watched the third episode last night... best in the series but the ending was the killer!

message 39: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I watched it. I was a very good ending!! Certainly leaves us wanting more!!

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris (cbrunner11) | 53 comments I finally got around to watching the Study in Pink, and since it was not to long ago I just finished a Study in Scarlet I really enjoyed this. I have grown up with Sherlock Holmes in my life because both of my parents are fans. So when my Mom told me about this series I had to check it out. Finally watching it on PBS.org (Thank you Tonyanc for pointing that out) I look forward to seeing the next episodes. So glad there is a new adaptation to this classic cast of characters. I really enjoyed the way Sherlock messed with Lestrad with texting the media "Wonrg" after everything he said.

message 41: by Emma (new)

Emma | 4 comments When a family member acquired Season One of Sherlock for Christmas, I was hesitant to watch it. On top of not being a big Holmes fan, in my experience I've found CSI-type dramas to be exasperating and boring with uninteresting characters. I have to say after watching this series, my hope in crime dramas has been restored. Even as a non-fan, I was still able to spot the clever updating of certain elements from the original series. The acting is all around superb, as the actors are given much to work with in terms of excellent writing. Cumberbatch and Freeman are perfect as Holmes and Watson, and the supporting characters are entertaining as well. The only downside is that the next episodes are not coming out until next summer. I highly recommend this to anyone, Holmes fan or not. Other members of my family who have read the entire series loved it just as much as I did.

message 42: by LeAnn (new)

LeAnn | 11 comments Watched the series online in December. Really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the upcoming productions.

message 43: by Heath (new)

Heath (heathcates) Loved it.

message 44: by Sufferingbruin (new)

Sufferingbruin | 29 comments I'm about eight months behind everybody else here. I just watched all three on Netflix; great, great television and like others, I can't wait for season 2.

message 45: by Robert (new)

Robert (bobhe) Really good
Sherlock and Watson as I imagined
Bob

message 46: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 94 comments Sufferingbruin, just think of it as not having to wait as long as everyonelse for the next series.

☕️Kimberly  (Caffeinated Reviewer) (kimbacaffeinate) I think these were wonderfully done and I can't wait to see more.

message 48: by Chris (new)

Chris (cbrunner11) | 53 comments I found out some info on Season 2. A TV blog posting said that season 2 has been pushed back due to filming issues. Basically they are still filming 3 90 min episodes and they are set to air in the UK in the begining of 2012, and possibly hit the US in May. Now, I have not been able to find an offical source to confim this but it is the only reason I have found as to why, and When Sherlock will return. I can't wait!!!

message 49: by Jerold (new)

Jerold Last (goodreadscomjerold_last) | 252 comments I watched #1 and #2 on Netflix via streaming video and #3 is waiting in my queue. I really liked what I've seen, even if I had my doubts beforehand. Nothing new to add that someone else hasn't said already, but add my vote to the highly recommended list.

message 50: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 94 comments Cumberpatch is in the new Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy film, and apparantly is the voice of Smaug in The Hobbit. Martin Freeman is playing Bilbo in the same, hence the long delay, but the beginning of 2012 isn't that far and no doubt the Beeb will let us know.

« previous 1 3