Cozy Mysteries discussion

Off topic discussions > Jana DeLeon: Her problems with Dorchester

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3906 comments Mod
Hi,

I don't know if you know that, a couple of months ago, Dorchester decided to go digital. A couple of weeks ago, I think, they gave for free some of their books at different bookstores (Kobo & Borders I remember). You could find among those books Jana DeLeon's "Trouble in Mudbug". Some days ago I read a post at "Smart Bitches, Trashy Books" blog, talking about Jana DeLeon: Dorchester is selling her books but the rights belong to her, so now, when you get a Jana's digital book, you're paying to Dorchester when they don't have the rights.

She was trying to solve it, but she said that, with Dorchester, the answer was good words and no facts. So, she wanted to warn to her readers.

I don't know how much people in the group buy ebooks or Jana's ebooks, but I thought it was something I have to warn (and this is the right place, because Jana is a cozy mystery author).

I apologize for my mistakes (English is not my mother language), but I hope you can understand the message well.

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Thanks for letting us know Marisa.

message 3: by Jana (new)

Jana Deleon | 6 comments The other author's name is Leslie Langtry.

Thanks so much for spreading the word about the situation. I am pleased to report that after the public outcry, Dorchester took all digital copies of all authors who had reverted rights down, AND they are supressing ebooks immediately for authors whose rights reverted afterwards. It was the way I would have liked to handle it, but with weeks of no response to my agent or her attorneys, the public outing produced results.

All the authors who received reverted rights are hard at work creating the files to report their books as ebooks so that readers still have that option available. Several of us hope to "relaunch" by the end of November.

Thanks again for posting this!

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Great news Jana

message 5: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I'm glad about the good news, Jana.

message 6: by Jana (new)

Jana Deleon | 6 comments Update: I have made all of my backlist available as digital downloads at bn and amazon at a discounted price. You can read excerpts and get more info at my author site http://janadeleon.com.

I'm pleased to report that other authors are having their ebooks supressed as soon as rights revert, so while it was an unfortunate public spectacle, it was effective.

Thanks to everyone for supporting authors. We appreciate it more than you'll ever know!

message 7: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Thank you, I'm going to look at it. Sadly, sometimes it's necessary to make a public spectacle.

message 8: by Jana (new)

Jana Deleon | 6 comments LOL Marisa! I'd be lying if I didn't say I got a lot of satisfaction from the changes that were made afterward. I just wish the whole thing could have been handled professionally. But if someone repeatedly ignores contact from your agent and attorney, there are only so many options left. The Internet is a new vehicle for righting the unjust around the world and a very powerful medium. Hopefully, it's doing as much good as it sometimes does harm. :)

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 821 comments Janadeleon wrote: "Update: I have made all of my backlist available as digital downloads at bn and amazon at a discounted price. You can read excerpts and get more info at my author site http://janadeleon.com.

I'm p..."

Thank you! I had the third Mudbug on my wish list ;)

message 10: by Jana (new)

Jana Deleon | 6 comments Hi Susie - I'm glad you'll be able to finish the series then. I hate being left hanging. :)

Thanks for reading!