TWILIGHT HATERS discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ahlaam (new)

Ahlaam Lol. They might not be linked to the book but they're atleast linked to each other. We can't expect her to strain her brain anymore than that. Anyways, i think that's one of her ploys to cheat readers into reading her rubbish. The titles do sound good, dont they? but that's the only thing that sounds good in the whole series. They would be slightly more appropiate if her main protagonists were the werewolves or even real vampires (the ones that burn in the sun not *sparkle*) but i don't know how it links to her books except maybe breaking dawn; it could mean new beggining but i don't know if that was her intention.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

um.................................................................................................................................................................turkey butt!!!!!

Fangirl Musings (fangirlmusings) Thank GOD someone else finally noted this! One of the most irritating issues I've ever had with Twilight (and damn, there are tons) is the moronic titling behind the books.

First of all, there the fact that the entire series is known as the "Twilight series," which comes from the title of the first book. Frankly, such is flipping stupid. That'd be like my favorite author, Sherrilyn Kenyon, naming her Dark-Hunter series the "Night Pleasure" series since that's the first book of her series. *Insert violent eye roll.*

Then there's the fact that her book titles have jack-crap to do with her stories or the book itself. It's bad enough that the series name doesn't even reflect on the books, but that a book title doing (or not doing as the case may be) the same thing is just absurd.

I swear Meyer is in definite need of a kick to the cranium.

message 4: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments There's actually meaning to the covers and titles of the books--all of them, even some that aren't mentioned in the books. I just forgot them all.... XD.

I do really like the titles though, they sound cool. And the font is awesome too!

I was reading some site by this like seventeen year old girl who reads YA books and rates them and stuff, she has this little cover page thing where she talks about the covers of books. She did the Twilight and I remember she said that she liked the color scheme--the red and white and black--and the font, and she liked the Breaking Dawn and New Moon covers becuase they were exciting while the other two weren't, and I agree. She also said how none of them make any sense, unless you do a lot of research on them and explore SM's chats.

message 5: by Mandie (new)

Mandie | 71 comments Twilight is a time of day
New Moon is a stage of the moon
Eclipse is related to the moon
Breaking Dawn is a time of day
Midnight Sun is a stupid sounding title that sounds like it has to do with astronomy

All of the books either sound like they are about astronomy or times of day which is strange and not linked in any way to the story. I can see how the titles are supposed to symbolise parts of the story, but the fact that they all seem to be in two categories unrelated to the books is just annoying.

message 6: by Rose (last edited Oct 25, 2010 03:08PM) (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments I remember Twilight was mentioned sometime in the first book. Something about Edward (Almost said Edgeworth, XD) meeting Bella at Twilight. But I don't think any of the other books, except maybe Breaking Dawn, ever mention their titles in any way.

And Midnight Sun is basically if you live on one of the earth's poles the sun will still be up at midnight, if not all 24 hours of the day.

message 7: by Mandie (new)

Mandie | 71 comments I don't see how a ribbon or a flower symbolise anything, but I remember reading that the chess pieces have something to do with Bella as a human (pathetic, weak and alive), and her as a vampire ('strong' and powerful, pale and dead) and how in breaking dawn the 'battle' at the end of the book was won in the mind or through strategy or something and chess is a game of strategy.

message 8: by Rose (last edited Oct 26, 2010 01:37PM) (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments There is a topic in here, that has probably been buried in time, where someone explained the meanings of the covers, or at least tried to. I think that person was some mod but I'm not sure....

message 9: by Maggie (last edited Oct 26, 2010 01:36PM) (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) I absolutely love (can't you just see the sarcasm dripping from this comment?) how she took ordinary, nice words, and made them what they are now. I used to say twilight all the time. Like, "Oh, it's twilight, light goes fast now and I can't see." Now, I can't say it with a straight face. Other great books yet to be written could have used those titles, too! Now they are forever scarred...

message 10: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments I totally agree! I like the word "twilight" alot! I love the way it slips from your tongue and seems to glide along the air. But now whenver I use it when I write I can't help but think of SM's pale as paper face laughing evilly.

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) And 'eclipse' is great, too! The next one for North America is on Dec. 21-- my friends and I are having an eclipse party, then sleeping over.

message 12: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 316 comments I think it's a marketing ploy the draw the reader in because they can't get anything about the story out of pale hands holding an apple or a wilted flower.
It's supposed to be vague and brooding to bring the reader towards it.

message 13: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) Lindsay wrote: "Actually, Midnight Sun is a pretty cool title. I wish it could be with a different book so that it could actually represent something noteworthy."

You said it. One of my favorite countries, Sweden, has part of it in the 'Land of the Midnight Sun.'

message 14: by Mandie (new)

Mandie | 71 comments It's a shame SM is so popular. Not only is she conveying bad messages, teaching bad spelling and incorrect word usage, but thanks to the popularity of Twilight, my sister didn't even realise it was a real word that meant something other than the title of a crappy book.

message 15: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) Oh, the poor thing! All the fake words my siblings learned were things like "Wingardium leviosa' and 'Dobby'.

message 16: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 26 comments I think the Twilght titals are rather ironic. Considering that Stephanie Meyor chose the best times of the day for the worst books ever.

message 17: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments I really love the titles, I think they're so cool. A good portion of me wants to steal them and use them for my fanfictions.

Seriously, what's a title for a story when the children of the saviors of the world have to battle the evil that was born into the world four-thousand years ago without sounding cliched.

Seriously.

message 18: by Zelda (new)

Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews (zelda_of_arel) | 66 comments If you do a search on Twilight, there are actually 3 other books just on the first page with that title. 2 New Moons, plus one that is The New Moon. Eclipse seems to be more popular with 6 titles. 2 Breaking Dawns. 9 Midnight Suns. So the titles are terribly unoriginal. I bet all the other authors are hating SM more now.

message 19: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) Both Twilight and Eclipse are Erin Hunter books...

message 20: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Oh yeah! They are!

I'm a cover judger, and I just titles too. I'm awful. Like if there's this book that sounds really good, and then I turn it over to see the cover and it's UGLY, I won't get it.

I'm truly awful.

message 21: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) *shame headshake* How COULD you?

:) Naw, i do that sometimes...

message 22: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 26 comments I thought EVERYONE could make up a title, it could be a dumb titlel, but still

message 23: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Wait dudes, it is possible she didn't know of any books with the title of her books. Think about eet, it is perfectly possible!

message 24: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Pfft. Funny accents. XD

message 25: by elizabeth (new)

elizabeth (elizabeth-) ...i honestly like the titles xD [dont hate me now]

message 26: by elizabeth (new)

elizabeth (elizabeth-) but i agree that they have nothing to do with the whole story

message 27: by elizabeth (new)

elizabeth (elizabeth-) ^ ahaha once again, i agreee -.-

message 28: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Way too coolz.

message 29: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments I still don't think the "stealing names" thing is the way you guys are playing it out...

Ah, whatevz.

message 30: by Mandie (new)

Mandie | 71 comments What does everyone think would be more appropriate names for the Twilight saga if they could rename it? I have thought of three. They aren't very good and I can't think of one for Twilight, but I wanted to post them anyway and see what everyone else thinks. Also some of them are based on other things people have posted.

Werewolves and Hallucinations: Tales of Bella Swan #2
Bestiality or Necrophilia: Tales of Bella Swan #3
Eternal Idiot: Tales of Bella Swan #4

message 31: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Wait...I like what Mandie was saying. Can we think of serious titles for the Twilight Saga that would work better than the ones SM chose? Serious ones.

Although I do like yours, Mandie!

message 32: by Zelda (new)

Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews (zelda_of_arel) | 66 comments Book 1: Love Depressed
Book 2: Love Lost
Book 3: Love Regained
Book 4: Love Forever

I'm thinking this goes well with the theme of the whole thing. Basically the whole story is about love in it's most nauseating form. So I was thinking the titles should be just as nauseating.

message 33: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments I like yours!!

message 34: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments It's an episode from the show Futurama.........I've never seen it though.

EWW JAMES PATTERSON COMMERCIAL!!! HIDE ME!!!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

he's a writer. i think he wrote maximum ride.

message 36: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Yeah...basically the only member of ours that is male and constant (if you can consider him constant) is Mutt. He comes on every once in a while, says something extremely intelligent, makes Rose laugh, then leaves and comes back some months later.

Well, Rose is a guy and girls name..........Poor guy named Rose.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 17, 2010 05:35PM) (new)

Rose is a guy name?! OMG. I didn't know that. I also didn't know that Andrea is also a guy's name. Weird. I thought guy names in the 21st century USUALLY didn't end with an A.
And OF COURSE I'M A GIRL. If I were I guy, I'd change my profile pic RIGHT NOW. Actually, I wouldn't even choose it! (EVEN THOUGH MAGNUS IS TECHNICALLY GAY)

message 38: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments I have no idea who "Magnus" is but okay!!!

And there are a whole lot of names that can be classifed as both guy and girl, but you'd consider to be one. Like Ryan.....or Kelly.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I meant, like, there aren't many guy names that end with the letter A.

Magnus is a gay 800 year old warlock that looks 18. He's form the Mortal Instruments Series. . . :D

message 40: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Ah...........................

When you say "Magnus Fan" do you mean "I love Magnus!" or "Dammit Magnus is so smexy!! I love him!!" like in the obsessed fangirl way.

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 17, 2010 06:08PM) (new)

uuuh. . .
The first one. . .
But, JACE IS NUMBA ONE!

message 42: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Ah.

message 43: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments ...

It is weird.

Poor guy named Rosy.....

message 44: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Is it said just like Rose-ee? Like Rosie....which I think looks cuter.

message 45: by Rose (new)

Rose (iceclaw) | 2069 comments Ah..........the world is large.

message 46: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Ito (ThingsThatGoQuack) | 48 comments The titles are purely beautiful words that are utterly wasted on such a trashy series of what an uneducated fangirl would call "literature".

What's sad is that when Twilight became popular, a very close friend of mine was writing a song called "Twilight", and it was a damn shame that he had to change the name because he was so repulsed.

message 47: by AA (new)

AA | 1397 comments Awww... What did he have to change the name to?

message 48: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Ito (ThingsThatGoQuack) | 48 comments In the end, he changed it to "Making Up for Lost Time", but "Twilight" was so much more fitting :(

message 49: by AA (new)

AA | 1397 comments Well, that's not TOO bad...

message 50: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Ito (ThingsThatGoQuack) | 48 comments Well, at least he didn't change the lyrics, so we were content, I guess.

« previous 1