Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > THE THRILLER THREAD (post your creepiest, spookiest, bone-chillingest, spine-tinglingest stories here)>Susan just made this thread legit creepy, spooky, bone chilling, spine tingling, goosebumpy, WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 131 (131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'm so sorry I didn't post this thread before now. I've been ridiculously busy lately. But I'm posting this now, so here goes...

I got the idea for this thread from one of my favorite radio traditions in the area - every year in the month of October, one of the local radio stations hosts Thriller Thursday - a scary story contest. The listeners vote. I don't listen to the radio, but I never miss a Thriller Thursday.

Everyone has a spooky story to share - maybe it's something you personally experienced. Perhaps it's a story you heard from a friend or a family member... ghost stories, the unexplained, the weird, the twilight zone-ish, the flat-out creepy...

This would be the thread in which to share your thriller stories. I have one that I'll post, but it'll take a while to write it out. I don't think we need to turn this into a contest in order for it to be fun. You can post as many as you like... and it'll make for some fun reading for all of us.

So while I'm busy writing my story, have at it! :)

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments In the middle of the night, when my daughter was in her teens, she ran downstairs to wake me up and tell me that someone was tapping at her window. Now that was strange, as her bedroom was on the second floor. I gave her the usual, "It's just the wind - go back to bed". A short time later, she came back down, shaking, and said, "I KNOW there's someone at my window". It is pitch dark out, we had no lights on, and we (her sisters joined us to see what the commotion was) looked out the front window. We had a maple tree in the yard and someone said, "There's someone in the tree!!!" I looked up and didn't see anything. Then I happened to look down at the ground in front of the window, and I saw a face staring up at me. I screamed! and ran into the bedroom to wake up my husband. By the time he got up, we heard a knock at the front door. We cautiously opened it and there stood a (male) friend of my daughter. What happened was, he saw my daughter's bedroom light on, climbed the tree, and threw pebbles over to her window. He was just trying to get her attention so that he could talk to her, not realizing what an uproar he was creating. He apologized profusely, and left. Not quickly enough, in my estimation.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Holy crap! I'm glad that story had a happy ending... I had the heebie jeebies reading through the meaty part of it, though! Good one, Jan...

message 4: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments Yes, great build-up Jan. Mine can't compare but it was still creepy to hubby and I :

It was that time of the year to change the clocks but we didn't change the one on our bedroom dresser. In the middle of the night we woke to this ticking/winding sound and turned on the light to see the hands on the clock moving on their own around the face of the clock. We then remembered that the clock was an atomic one but it still freaked us out. I was really glad hubby wasn't working a night shift that night :).

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments This is a story that my dad and stepmother told me.

I had just moved to Little Rock, AR for college and was out and about with the fellow I was dating at the time. He drove a t-top camaro (heh!) and the weather was gorgeous, so he had the windows rolled down and the T-top working. We were on our way back to my home, excited to hear about my parents' visit to Eureka Springs, AR. My stepmother was a reporter at the time and was doing a feature on the most famous haunted spots around Arkansas. So, she booked a mid-week trip up to Eureka Springs, AR for a weekend at the infamously haunted Crescent Hotel.

It's a family favorite. We stayed there on a couple of occasions when I was a kid (I have stories from those visits, too). I remember pulling up to a stopsign at a 3 way intersection as we were driving home to meet the parents and reminding my BF that it was Friday the 13th. He laughed it off and said he wasn't superstitious. Then, right before we started again for home, a black cat ran across the road in front of his car. It stopped and looked at us and then moved on... He joked that it was a good thing he wasn't superstitious. And just then I spotted the moon and noticed it was full.

I told him we were likely in for a doozy of a story when we'd get home. And we were.

Dad was sitting quietly on the couch, and my stepmother was busy preparing dinner. I was dying to know if anything happened. My dad, the biggest cynic I've ever known, said, "OOOHHH, yeah." He went on to tell me this story:

They arrived on Thursday in Eureka Springs. It's a scenic 2 hour drive from Little Rock and the small artisan town is nestled near the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. The checked in around lunch time. They were permitted by the hotel manager to stay in the room that is off-limits to guests. It's the one that Michael supposedly haunts. Because my stepmother was writing a feature story on the hotel, they were happy to offer the haunted room to them for the evening.

When they settled into the room, Dad turned up the television. At the time, he was doing some political consulting... and he was riveted by the breaking news on CNN that day about the Russian Coup. He turned the television up loud so he could hear it from the bathroom while he cleaned up for an afternoon on the town. Not long after they turned the television up, they heard a loud knock on the wall. My stepmom thought the people in the next room likely thought it was too loud, so she turned the tv volume down. When Dad got out the bathroom, he walked in to Stepmom talking to the air "Michael, if you'd like to communicate with us, I'm going to leave a notepad out and a tape recorder. We'll respect your space while we're here and we come in peace." Dad was about rolling on the floor laughing about that... she said "What! It couldn't hurt." So while she was in the shower, being the smart ass that he is, he wrote "BOO!" on the notepad... and went back to watching CNN... turning the volume up once more. Soon after, he heard a knocking on the wall again... a very loud knocking. He ignored it at first, thinking they'd only be there for a few more minutes and then they'd leave for lunch and an afternoon on the town. But the knocking was loud and persistent. So he turned the volume back down.

They went out for the evening and didn't return to the room until it was almost bedtime. It was when they returned to the room, that my stepmother spotted my dad's smart ass note on the dresser.

"Ha. Haaaa. Very funny, Steve."

He poked fun at her again and said she was wasting her time with that and there was no such thing as ghosts. She went to bed soon afterward and fell quickly asleep while he continued to watch CNN.

Now, let me preface this next part by saying anytime we'd travel, Dad would always fall asleep watching tv and he'd always leave the light on in the bathroom and leave the door slightly cracked open in case any of us needed to go in the middle of the night.

As he was laying in bed watching tv, they heard the knocking again... and my stepmother told him to turn the damn tv down because it was bedtime, for chrissakes. He turned it down and continued watching the news.

A short while later, he was starting to drift off to sleep when he noticed in the reflection on the tv screen that the bathroom door swung open a bit because the light slit that was reflected on the television became larger. It happened a couple more times while he was laying in bed and watching tv. He tried to nudge my stepmother awake, but she was sound asleep by this point. He decided to check out the bathroom door and go to the bathroom while he was up. He checked the door hinges... they were fine. So he went to the bathroom and left the door slightly ajar (because he was slightly spooked). After he washed his hands, he was ready to go back to bed. Only he couldn't get out of the bathroom... someone was pushing the door from the other side. He said "Knock it off, Joan" but she didn't respond. So he peeked around the door and no one was there. At this point, I should mention that my dad's a big fella... he played defensive end in high school and college football. He's about 6'1" and very broad-shouldered. Think Brian Dennehy. He was able to poke his head around the corner and see that no one was there in the reflection on the tv, but the more he pushed on the door, the more he was feeling resistance from the other side. He pushed as hard as he could and broke the bathroom door off the hinges! Still... no one there. And while my stepmother continued sleeping, he was so completely spooked, he turned the television off and sat up in bed repeating all the prayers he knew over and over and over until it was almost 5ish.

He woke my stepmother up under the pretense that he wanted to watch the sunrise with her on the room's balcony. Truly, though, he just wanted another person to be awake with him. He was that spooked. My stepmother stepped out onto the porch with him so they could sit and watch the sunrise... the porch was a wraparound porch. It was then that they noticed the "neighbors who kept knocking" when Dad would turn the television up were impossible. The only thing on the other side of that particular wall was the 3 foot thick stone wall. They were in a corner room.

When they told the hotel manager about that as they were checking out, he told them without blinking "Oh, that was probably Michael. He doesn't like loud noises."

I'll share my other stories about the Crescent Hotel sometime soon. I think this one is long enough for now.

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Last year's ghost stories thread

LINKY

message 7: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24358 comments Mod
This is not that thrilling but it's just about all I got. Once when I was a teenager, in the middle of the night my mother heard scratching at the kitchen door. She got up to check it out, pulled aside the curtain, and saw me standing outside in a white nightgown. Except it couldn't have been me, because I was in my bed asleep.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Wait ... how could ....

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Spit it out, Larry.

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) ....

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Ewh, that was gross Larry. I don't think LG literally meant for you to spit it out.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
How did I miss this thread first time 'round?

Oh right, student teaching.

message 13: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments I once took my wife to see Eric Clapton for her birthday. And stayed for the entire show.

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I like your new av, Sally. :)

message 15: by Heidi (last edited Oct 11, 2011 09:26AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments * bump *

I want some spooky stories. Gimme gimme gimme... c'mon, hit me with your best ones!

message 16: by Heidi (last edited Oct 12, 2011 07:53AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I'll start this year's spooky stories.

Another from the Crescent Hotel:

I was about 8 years old, and we were staying at the Crescent Hotel for the 2nd time. The first thing I noticed when I walked into the lobby was a cat. Of course I noticed the cat... I was 8!

Anyway, I followed it around the lobby area while my parents were checking in. She let me pet her and purred and rubbed up against my leg, and we were fast friends.

Now, you should know that the Crescent Hotel is located near one of the natural springs in the state, Eureka Springs - the town's named after it. So the water there is seriously wonderful.

I mention this because while following the cat around the lobby, I found the water fountain up against the wall outside the hallway leading to the ballroom/dining area. The water in that fountain was chilled and it was delicious as far as water goes. I spent a lot of time at that fountain filling my belly until I felt like I was gonna pop.

Anyway, one night while we were there, while everyone was asleep, I woke to go to the bathroom and then decided I wanted a drink of water, too. So naturally, I wanted some water out of that drinking fountain. I went back to bed for a short while because I just knew I'd be in trouble if my parents noticed I wasn't in bed and I wasn't in the room... but I obsessed about the water fountain water and then I started obsessing about the cat! So I grabbed the room key and snuck out to get a drink from the fountain.

The lobby area was dimly lit and pretty much abandoned. So I moved pretty quickly across the room with abandon as I wasn't worried I'd get caught having snuck out of my room by some other adult. The water was so refreshing and delicious. I filled up on it. While I was at the fountain, the cat spooked me by rubbing up against the back of my leg. So of course, I sat on the floor to pet her and play with her. I was careful to tiptoe through the lobby area so as to not disturb the party going on in the ballroom. But she jumped suddenly out of my lap and went darting towards the ballroom, so I tried to catch her and followed her right up to the doorway. I was worried she'd get in trouble. I spotted her on the far side of the room. And as I looked around, I noticed a large group of adults dressed like they were at a fancy masquerade ball. No one noticed me... and I was worried I'd get in trouble for being out of my room, so I ran back to bed.

The next morning, when we were all getting ready for breakfast, I told my parents we'd have to eat somewhere else besides the dining hall at the hotel because I just knew there'd be a lot of clean up. They ignored me. We went to the dining room and much to my amazement, it was set up as a dining room/breakfast buffet just like it always was...

I was totally shocked to see the tables set out, pressed linens, full settings on the tables, fresh flowers, the buffet in the middle... and NO mess anywhere in the room. When the waitress came to our table to take our orders (Dad always ordered the buffet for everyone) and drink requests, I told her that I was amazed they were able to get the room cleaned so quickly from the masquerade ball that was going on late at night (well, I didn't say it in those words... I used the words an 8 year old would use, I'm sure). She looked at me like she wasn't sure she was hearing me right and said there was no masquerade ball in that room the night before... and I said well, whatever that party was... and she said there was no party in that room the night before. I told her what I saw, and she looked at me like I was a silly little kid.

A moment of awkward silence. My parents laughed, and my dad said I must've been dreaming.

I know what I saw, though. It happened.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

HEIDERSON! That's just like The Shining! Scary! Tingly! OOOOOOOoooo.

message 18: by Heidi (last edited Oct 12, 2011 07:57AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally wrote: "HEIDERSON! That's just like The Shining! Scary! Tingly! OOOOOOOoooo."

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the movie for the first time, Sally! Except, there weren't any crazy possessed killers there.

message 19: by Angela~twistedmind~ (last edited Oct 15, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments We have a ghost attached to us. Both of my daughter's saw it, at different times, in a house we lived in 2 houses ago. They both describe him as a skinny man wearing jeans and a ballcap and he was always walking from the front door towards my bedroom. I've never actually seen him, but they have several times, in different houses. We always have strange little things happen. Noises. Things falling. Stuff like that. At the last house we lived, I always felt like someone was looking at me malevolantly whenever I was in my bedroom. Only in that room. Everywhere else in the house it was just the same weird stuff that always happened. Later, I found out the lady who lived there before me committed suicide in that room and her bed was in the exact same location as mine. I was also told she always had a very nasty attitude. By the time we moved here, we were all pretty much used to something going on. One night I had just turned on my side, away from the doorway when suddenly I felt three very insistant pokes on my shoulder. I whipped around, ready to ask whichever kid it was what the hell was her problem and no one was there. I simply said, "Leave me alone, I'm trying to go to sleep". Mr. Angela laughed at us when we shared our stories (there are several more). Until the night he was sleeping and something slapped him hard on his bald head. That was a first. We had never felt threatened by the little dude following us around. Apparently, he felt Mr. Angela was trying to take his place in the house. And finally, I was in the shower, when all of the sudden the curtain billowed inward and the bathroom began to steam up from where it had suddenly gotten so cold in there and the hot water hitting that air caused the steam. I was standing there, thinking, "What the hell?", when I felt someone blow in my ear and whisper my name. Later on I'll tell y'all about the house that used to sit abandoned at the end of a gravel road back when I was growing up.

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

ooooooooooo creepy!

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Ewww, he sounds like some kind of sex offender.

message 22: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I've always said that I had a ghost in my office. I always had the feeling that I would look up and see someone standing there. I have three pictures - a boy, a girl, and a woman. I set the boy and girl together, and the woman over on another surface.

A few weeks later, I noticed that the picture of the boy was turned towards the girl, and she was turned away. I straightened the picture out, and a few weeks later, it was the same thing. I switched the boy and girl around. The girl kept turning away from the boy, and he towards her. I moved the woman up in between them. Same result.

Now that I've moved into my new office, I'll see if the pictures continue to have this antagonistic attitude.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments While I have time, I'll share another story. Nothing was ever seen, but it's just plain creepy. There were alot of kids on the road where I lived until jr. high. It was sorta in between town and the country. Right off of this road was an old gravel road, with weeds grown up down the middle and full of potholes. There was nothing on this road except an abandoned house at the very end. The road literally ended at the front door of the house. The outside itself was spooky enough, but it was the inside that was so creepy. When you went in, you discovered the entire house was still furnished as if someone were coming home any minute. Even a little old tv in the living room. In the kitchen, there were still pots and pans on the stove, with years old petrified food still in each one. The table was not only set, but the food was already on the plates, as if whoever lived there was interrupted in the middle of a meal. The worst though was the front bedroom. The bed was covered, almost from top to bottom and dripping down the sides, with a rusty stain. There were still flakes of it on the floor. We touched the stain on the bed and the flakes on the floor and neither felt anything like what paint would feel like. There was only one unexplainable thing that happened. We were in the house and I glanced at the window. Through the lace curtains I saw a black figure standing outside looking in, that quickly moved to the side. I thought, "Ha, ha. Who's outside trying to scare the rest of us?" I looked around the room and everyone was accounted for. I was spooked and as we walked back down the road on the way home I fully expected someone to come at us Texas Chainsaw Murders style. Later, when we got to high school, we'd take our unsuspecting friends down there as a joke. I guess the house is still there, waiting for whoever lived there to come home.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Great stories, Angela!

message 25: by Cam (new)

Cam | 111 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "This is not that thrilling but it's just about all I got. Once when I was a teenager, in the middle of the night my mother heard scratching at the kitchen door. She got up to check it out, pulled..."

You may have been sleep walking.

message 26: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4306 comments My daughter arrived home about 1.30am the other night/morning. She had caught a taxi home from the city which is about 7km . I heard her come in and close the door, so I drifted back into sleep.
I woke to her calling "Mum!". She was worried because she had not locked the security gate only the door. When she came inside she heard someone walk up the path, stop for a while then walk back toward the front of the apartment block.
I was too scared to open the door to lock the security gate. I woke mr evie so we could do it together. My daughter said "don't send Dad out there!"
Creepy. I hope she wasn't followed .

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments evie wrote: "My daughter arrived home about 1.30am the other night/morning. She had caught a taxi home from the city which is about 7km . I heard her come in and close the door, so I drifted back into sleep.
I ..."

I love it when posts pop up in this thread. Although for your sake, Evie, I wish it wasn't a personal story. That gave me the heebie jeebies!

message 28: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments At my wife's urging, I once ordered up "Bride Wars" on pay-per-view.

That scary enough for you?

message 29: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Clark wrote: "At my wife's urging, I once ordered up "Bride Wars" on pay-per-view.

That scary enough for you?"

Nope. But I do love your latest avatar, Clark. :)

message 30: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Heidi wrote: "Clark wrote: "At my wife's urging, I once ordered up "Bride Wars" on pay-per-view.

That scary enough for you?"

Nope. But I do love your latest avatar, Clark. :)"

Tenks.

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Okay. I have many spooky stories but this one happened today.

A friend of mine was at her mom's house. She decided to take a picture of her little girl in the bathroom. She was all cute and dressed after a bath. So the little girl is standing in front of the shower, the curtain is pulled closed and it has trees with monkeys all over it.
Guess what is just reaching out from the side of the little girl?
The creepiest little arm and mangled hand!!! From nowhere!!!!
I have chill bumps all over from just typing this shit. She sent the picture to my phone and I zoomed in on it. Sooooo fing creepy pants I cannot even stand it. The arm and hand are not quite solid. There are only three fingers in the hand. Shit. It looks like it could be a child's hand or that creepy thing from the horror movie Gothic.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Jan 14, 2013 08:45PM) (new)

What??? Maybe your friend doctored the photo.

But just to be sure, she shouldn't let her daughter out of her sight for the next 6 months.

Also Heidi's Caboodle has 46 topics, lazyass.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments What! Lies! I swear there where thousands!

She got home before everyone after taking that picture (they are staying with her mom right now) and she would not go inside the house alone. She sat in her car for an hour.

I would have, too. Total creepsville.

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

She and her daughter should now move into a fully fortified panic room.

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I need to see the picture before I buy into this creepy story.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Yes. Or far away. I would go far away. That arm is soooooooo creepy looking.

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Could it be a shadow from some object in the room?

message 38: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Or the limb of Andy Gibb?

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments No. Not possible. I might see if I can post the arm part but it will have to wait until tomorrow. I really cannot look at it right now. I am the only one up and will most likely be up for hours now.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Well, maybe Andy Gibb. If he lost a few fingers and was the size of a child.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

LOCK YOUR DOORS!

But look under the bed first.

And whatever you do DON'T get up to pee in the middle of the night.

And if you DO have to pee in the middle of the night DON'T DON'T DON'T look behind the shower curtain!!!!

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Eeeek.

I could hardly go in my bathroom after I saw that picture.

You can forget about that laundry getting done tomorrow because I am not going into the basement. No.

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Good excuse, anyway.

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Hey!

message 45: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4306 comments We had some kind of craft hovering outside our house a few years ago. All the windows shook and the front room lit up like the Sydney cricket ground during a night game. I thought I was in a Speilberg production.

message 46: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Also Heidi's Caboodle has 46 topics, lazyass."

I don't horde all my topics... I spread them out amongst the other thread categories. I haven't started many new threads lately. I'm picky about what I do start, though. I won't start a thread just to start a thread. It has to be something I think would make for an interesting discussion.

message 47: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Susan, that story is extremely creepy - I love it! :)

message 48: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Félix wrote: "I need to see the picture before I buy into this creepy story."

I don't need to see the picture, but I definitely want to see it - SHARE, Susan, share!!!! :D

message 49: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "LOCK YOUR DOORS!

But look under the bed first.

And whatever you do DON'T get up to pee in the middle of the night.

And if you DO have to pee in the middle of the night DON'T DON'T DON'T look be..."

HE'S CALLING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!

message 50: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments What if it's not a child or a human hand? What if it's a hobbit hand or an alien hand or a gremlin hand?

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.