Cafe Libri discussion

2010 Book of the Month Reads > Holiday Read: "Christmas Jars" by Jason F. Wright

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrianna, Owner of Cafe Libri (new)

Adrianna (adriannas) | 529 comments Mod
For discussions concerning December's Holiday Read Christmas Jars by Jason F. Wright.

message 2: by Cari (new)

Cari (carikinney) Through Chapter 1 ------

Louise found the abandoned baby on New Year's Eve because she postponed her
yearly Christmas Eve dinner due to being ill. After that, Louise and Hope kept
the yearly tradition going of eating at the diner on Christmas Eve. They talked
about how maybe that would be the year they might run into Hope's real mother.

Did anyone find that to make sense? I kept thinking if they wanted to run into
Hope's mother, why not New Year's Eve since that was the day Hope was
actually left at the diner. Perhaps one day is as good as another, but I
figured a mother feeling guilt or pangs of regret or loss might actually think
of dropping into the same diner on the anniversary of the day she left her child
there. It didn't make a lot of sense to me why Louise and Hope thought the
biological mother might appear on some Christmas Eve.

Speaking of yearly traditions, do you have a holiday tradition that you keep
year to year?

message 3: by Cari (new)

Cari (carikinney) Here are some discussion questions for Christmas Jars. Discussion questions are posted around the 10th of the month for each book selection. Feel free to answer any, all or none. Members may also use ideas from the questions to spark extra discussion about the book.

Remember that discussion questions may contain spoilers.

---------------------------------------

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

1. In one sentence, how would you define the word HOPE?

2. In the prologue, "Hope" is unexpectedly discovered, and it forever changes the life of Louise. What have you recently unexpectedly discovered and how do you think it can/will change your life?

3. What was the significance of the tic-tac-toe game of tater tots (pg. 16)? What simple traditions do you have in your life and what do they symbolize?

4. "This just don't belong in the papers" (pg. 31). Do you agree? Are acts of kindness better left anonymous?

5. How can you give away Christmas (pg. 69)?

6. What "jar story" did you most relate to? Why?

7. Have you or your family been blessed by a Christmas act of kindness?

8. Do you believe that "good goes around"? How have you seen that in your own life?

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Catherine  Mustread (cuiblemorgan) | 50 comments SPOILER ALERT! FINISHED – and didn't like it all that much.

Like a Hallmark special -- mushy, unbelievable, tear-jerking, yet containing a good message about charitable giving. Not my kind of book and although I checked out the sequel, Christmas Jars Reunion, I'm returning it to the library unread.

message 5: by Cari (last edited Jan 23, 2011 02:04PM) (new)

Cari (carikinney) Catherine, I wasn't overly fond of Christmas Jars either. I posted over at Yahoo Cafe Libri that it reminded me very much of a Hallmark special, too. Way too many coincidences for it to be a believable story. I just chalked it up to a book wanting to be a feel-good story at a time of year when people are perhaps looking for something light-hearted and with a message about the spirit of giving. I love charitable giving and big hearts, but this was incredibly mushy and sometimes even a little corny. I know it left some people in tears. I think it's great if it touched their hearts that much. For me it was just so-so. I don't think it was a well-written book. I didn't bother to look for the Reunion book.