Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Etcetera > Kindle news

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Kindle books now will be able to lend out.
http://dailycheapreads.com/2010/10/22...

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8267 comments Brakedrum wrote: "Kindle books now will be able to lend out.
http://dailycheapreads.com/2010/10/22..."

Sweet! Course the caveat is that it will be up to the publisher to decide whether to allow this or not. I wonder what the industry take is on this. DJ, do you have any way of guessing whether a lot of the Nook versions of books are available for lending, or only a few?

message 3: by Ann (last edited Oct 23, 2010 08:43AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Lorraine:
I saw that yesterday and was intrigued. The Amazon Kindle forum had a lot of comments on the various options. (how many times do we really lend out most books, how many fewer copies would they sell vs. more Kindle users and whether the next step would be allowing library books.) I wondered if it would only work on a K3 or later version. Didin't see any comments on that yet.

Brakedrum wrote: "Kindle books now will be able to lend out.
http://dailycheapreads.com/2010/10/22..."

message 4: by Ann (last edited Oct 23, 2010 08:44AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Carol:
I have no idea how many Nook titles are lendable (is that even a word? spell check doesn't think so) and imagine DJ can tell us. Or alternatively whether the decision to allow lending is delayed by the Publisher from the first release to a later time. The "once" was a forum comment of contention. How about once a year or something.
With the Nook going to be sold at Walmart as early as this weekend, Amazon is evidentially taking notice. They seem to want to erase that perceived difference favoring the Nook feature over the Kindle.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sweet! Course the caveat is that it will be up to the publisher to decide whether to allow this or not. I wonder what the industry take is on this. DJ, do you have any way of guessing whether a lot of the Nook versions of books are available for lending, or only a few? "

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3115 comments I fail to understand. If I buy this in paper, I can share it or give it away. The Kindle title costs just as much, in theory, I own it, so why am I so restricted?

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Barry:
This is a reasonable question. The fourteen day lending limit is ridiculous in my humble opinion even more than the lack of ability to loan most eBooks in the first place. That hasn't stopped me from enjoying many aspects of my Kindle, but it has kept me from buying Kindle copies of some books that I know I want to share.

Barry wrote: "I fail to understand. If I buy this in paper, I can share it or give it away. The Kindle title costs just as much, in theory, I own it, so why am I so restricted?"

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3674 comments They have lending boards you can go on. the books are allowed to be lent only once. And not all of them. Like The passage wasn't one. they are called LendMe books. After the title they have alittle light lendme thing so you know which are lendable. I can't tell you the amount of books that are allowed right now I think if I bring up the lendme I don't know if they are newer ebooks that you can lend or all of them which I don't think because there is only 14 at the moment. So it's new lendme books they added recently. The hunger games and the sequel, The help, Play dead, Wicked appetite, Freedom. just to name a few. I haven't checked the board yet that you can lead from. Even though like you said you would get it for 14 days then it auto goes back to the person who owns it. The person can't read it during the time she lent it out. I figure I want to read it before putting it out there. Some of the free friday ones are lendme so why would I put them out to lend if everyone already got it free. Unless they didn't. Who knows. I curious to see how it works. I should try one at some point but haven't yet. It's a way to get books so you don't have to buy them too. People wish that you will be able at some point to lend them out more than 1 time. But for the time being it's only once. I can see the point of having the deadline time because maybe people would take alot longer when borrowing a book to return it or if it's left up to the indiviual. Or even not returning it. So I guess there has to be something in system the same for everyone. I'll let you know when I get around to borrowing a book. I'm curious about the library setup ebooks. I think I have to give in and one of these days take the class at B&N. I just hate doing that drive this time of year at that time at night.
I know with real books when I finish reading one I give them away if I want it back for some reason (to give to someone else or because I want to keep the book for whatever reason) then we do the note in the book please return to donna. A neighor at the shore just gave my sister two books one was by a author I haven't heard of but I know the person likes reading medical type thrillers so it's probably one of those and the other was a Iles books which my sister noticed on the carseat and asked about and the neighbor is lenting her read it before she does because she is reading something else. I think it was turning angel only because I said I might have it and would check this way she can return it and read my copy.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments DonnaJo:
Thanks for the info!
I am sure that lending any eBooks at all is progress, but the 14 day window and only one allowed lending in combination isn't terribly attractive to me. Even the library gives you the option of 21 days and possibly renewal. The Kindle eventually allowing library books would be a bigger deal to me.

Donnajo wrote: "They have lending boards you can go on. the books are allowed to be lent only once. And not all of them. Like The passage wasn't one. they are called LendMe books...."

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Does anybody know how the lending works? My daughter and a friend of mine has kindles and we would probably lend books.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Amy:
Amazon's news on lending Kindle books is just the announcement of a future feature for "later this year" at this point. I am sure Amazon will give detailed instructions for lending books on the Kindle when it is available. The how to do it exactly is still an open question. ;)
Amy wrote: "Does anybody know how the lending works? My daughter and a friend of mine has kindles and we would probably lend books."

message 11: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3674 comments I think with the nook all you have to do is click lend and put in the person's name and email address. At least that is what I hear on the board when asked how to do it.

message 12: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2709 comments The Nook is sopunding better and better - especially saince our library system will lend to it unlike Kindle.

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3674 comments I love my nook. The only problem today is the free friday book is something they already gave us free. Don't know what that is about. I got it back in the middle of the month. It's a Henry Chang mystery book. I have to see what that is on the board. I love my new quote cover and the light so far is great. But only used it for alittle while this morning so far. But you can attach the light to the front cover that you can fold back behind the back and with my other cover you coldn't do that. Today's goal besides running out to the supermarket for 2 things I'm taking to my niece on halloween and going to BJ's to renew my membership which I held off until the end of the month and needs to be done will be to finish the library book which I'm almost at the half way point in it. Then I can read the nook for awhile which I haven't since I've been getting library books the last few weeks.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Thanks Lorraine!
There have been some interesting discussions in various blogs and articles about the pricing effectiveness of Free vs. Value priced eBooks vs. the publishing house set "hardback-like" pricing. I have a big "pile" of Kindle freebies to read someday so I suppose Free is effective!. ;)

Brakedrum wrote: "Today's Kindle freebies."

message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3674 comments I haven't gotten anything new added to the ipod lately. Need to get that down but now with getting the ones for the nook (was reading one of the samples on the nook this morning and I'm almost to the point of putting it on my wish list) I'm trying to read more between the nook, my own books. And yesterday when I didn't have anything to read in the diner I did take out the ipod and read some of one of the books on their. So it has it's uses.
If anything I'm been so good lately (should be keeping track) of the books I buy. Only one in costco this week after not buying anything for awhile. The getting of the free books I think is helping alot. I have a wish list going but haven't gotten anything off there yet either.

message 17: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1653 comments Kindle had three pretty good freebies yesterday, so I downloaded them all!

message 18: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8267 comments Yikes! I just ordered a Kindle!! I couldn't resist any longer. Now.... what should my inaugural read be? Any suggestions for a memorable first Kindle read?

message 19: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1653 comments Yay Carol! I love my Kindle...best birthday gift yet ;) Hubby got me a $25 gift card to get started, and I budgeted $40 for the month. I managed to get quite a few books, but I stayed away from the more expensive ones. I wanted to get The Reversal as my first book, but couldn't justify the $14.99. Whatever you get, you will be spoiled ;)

message 20: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8267 comments Susie in KS wrote: "Whatever you get, you will be spoiled ;) ..."

I bet if Jan O'Cat were still posting she would say To Kill a Mockingbird should be my first Kindle read. If it were free I wouldn't hesitate. Maybe something of Dickens?

message 21: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Yikes! I just ordered a Kindle!! I couldn't resist any longer. Now.... what should my inaugural read be? Any suggestions for a memorable first Kindle read?"

congrats! you will love it!!
i just broke down and bought myself an ipad. did i need it? of course not, but i couldn't help myself.

message 22: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I could never find To Kill A Mockingbird in Kindle format. When I got mine (almost 2 years ago) my first read was one of Robynn Carr's books. Nice simple quick romancey read! Good luck, and let us knnow your choice!

message 23: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments LizH wrote: "I could never find To Kill A Mockingbird in Kindle format. When I got mine (almost 2 years ago) my first read was one of Robynn Carr's books. Nice simple quick romancey read! Good luck, and let us ..."

TKAM isn't available in kindle format. my 8th grade students are reading and several of them have kindles but couldn't get it.
i can't remember my first read on the kindle.

message 24: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Woo Hoo Carol!
Good for you! I know you will love it. The newest model makes it easier to load audio books from audible.com and seems to have an even more fabulous battery life. I just love mine. So many choices for books to start with!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Yikes! I just ordered a Kindle!! I couldn't resist any longer. Now.... what should my inaugural read be? Any suggestions for a memorable first Kindle read?"

message 25: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8267 comments Sherry wrote: "
i just broke down and bought myself an ipad. did i need it? of course not, but i couldn't help myself. ..."

Decadence! And I'm so jealous, LOL!

message 26: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

TKAM isn't available in kindle format. my 8th grade students are reading and several of them have kindles but couldn't get it.
i can't remember my first read on the kindle. ..."

Oh pooh. Well, I'll find something. I think the suggestion of something quick is a good one. I'm also looking forward to ordering a couple magazines/newspapers that I never get to. The New Yorker and the New York Times, maybe.

message 27: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "

O..."

aren't you going to read the girl who kicked the hornet's nest with ann? why not make that your first kindle read?

message 28: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Yay, Carol!! You'll love it. I'm tempted to get a new one - my almost 3 yr old 1st generation kindle is starting to slow down and battery needs charging a little more often. I briefly played with Mary's new baby out in San Francisco and have almost convinced myself to take the plunge.

message 29: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Marcy, I too am tempted to get the new one, but I think I will hold out for when it goes to color and has the covers on them. I really miss the covers!

message 30: by Ann (new)

My first Kindle book purchase was Under the Dome and I am still reading it. ;) I have finished other Kindle books in the meantime.
If you subscribe to audible.com check and see if you can still get the NY Times free in a one hour digest (and then you could load it to your Kindle).
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "

O..."

message 31: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3674 comments Well Nook has the Spark notes and one other cheaters version of To Kill a mockingbird but unless the book itself is in a different place it's not where I'm looking. I just looked under the author too and the same few things are listed.

message 32: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3674 comments Nook came out with Color the other day but everyone on the boards are sticking with the regular one they already have. Do you really need color is what alot are saying. And some are complaining about buying the other one and now that is old but it's really not it's just a different version. We are getting a new download that is supposed to make it faster turning pages and a few other things sometime this month. Looking forward to it.
Love my new quote cover the new light is working so much better too.

message 33: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

aren't you going to read the girl who kicked the hornet's nest with ann? why not make that your first kindle read? ..."

I'm considering this, Sherry. I have it on CD so will listen on my Shuffle, but I always need a print version with this so I can review confusing aspects or at least get the names straight. I'm trying to think if that justifies a $9.99 expense. I haven't figured out how to think about this yet --- what is worth the $9.99 expense when i can't loan it or donate it back (to Barry's point made earlier).

message 34: by Ann (new)

Keeping the names straight in a Stieg Larsson book - on audio = worries me a bit!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I'm considering this, Sherry. I have it on CD so will listen on my Shuffle, but I always need a print version with this so I can review confusing aspects or at least get the names straight. I'm trying to think if that justifies a $9.99 expense. I haven't figured out how to think about this yet --- what is worth the $9.99 expense when i can't loan it or donate it back (to Barry's point made earlier). ."

message 35: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Ann, I know what you mean about trying to keep names straight while reading a kindle edition, but I have now gotten used to just using the search function which brings me back to all previous references and it has become easier than backtracking in a regular book.

message 36: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "
aren't you going to read the girl who kicked the hornet's nest with ann? why not make that your first kindle read? ..."

I'm considering this, Sherry. I have it on CD so will list..."

for me, if i can read a book in a few days, it's usually not worth the expense- with some exceptions, of course (like my favorite m/t authors and fiction authors). i tend to buy BFB's on the kindle. i also have over 200 sample chapters from books. i use my kindle as my "tbr"..lol
not to mention ,all the free books.

message 38: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3674 comments On the nook I can highlight things and go back to them that way. The first in the Larssen series I know I won't get on the nook since I already have 2 copies of the book. HC and Pb. Just don't know which version I'll read and which I'll get rid of right away.

message 39: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments A Kindle comic for today, Nov. 2
http://comics.com/frank&ernest/

message 40: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Brakedrum wrote: "A Kindle comic for today, Nov. 2
http://comics.com/frank&ernest/"

That's pretty cute!

message 42: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3674 comments I guess it's a good idea to check on the nook when freebies for the kindle come up because sometimes you might be lucky to find it's also free on the nook. I bought the first one too. I saw the second one yesterday and I wasn't in the mood for that type of book yet.

message 43: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8267 comments That's helpful, Sherry. Another argument for putting "Girl" on my Kindle...

Sherry wrote: "for me, if i can read a book in a few days, it's usually not worth the expense- with some exceptions, of course (like my favorite m/t authors and fiction authors). i tend to buy BFB's on the kindle. i also have over 200 sample chapters from books. i use my kindle as my "tbr"..lol
not to mention ,all the free books. ..."

message 44: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14990 comments Thanks Lorraine:
I "bought it" too! and yes DonnaJo, often the same books are freebies on both Nook and Kindle!
Brakedrum wrote: "Freebies for Nov 2
I "bought" the first one."

message 45: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3674 comments Today's free book from nook was the second book in the series by Jacobson that I believe is called Crush. They said because so many people enjoyed the first one (7th victim) they decided to give the second one. Now they say the first one is 2.99. So it went up in price. Don't know if the kindle has the same free one. But thought I would mention it since a few of you had gotten the first one.

message 46: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8267 comments I know we've gone over this before, but what is the fastest way to find free books on the Kindle?

message 47: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I know we've gone over this before, but what is the fastest way to find free books on the Kindle?"

if i can find the "kindle how to" email that gail sent me, i'll forward it to you. amazon has tons of free books.
there are other places too, but can't think of them off the top of my head.

message 48: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3674 comments I'm on ereaders unite and also one other (besides the nook)one GRs that are pretty good and talk about each of the ereaders. You only have to read the threads that would relate to which one you have. Also Gutenberg which I haven't really checked out yet. And the other one I get alot of my free ones for I am connected though facebook but you can go right to their website. Which is Inkmesh. Alot of the kindle ones I notice lately nook also has free but I don't find out though the nook one. So it's good to check out the kindle ones. They seem to have them everyday. Now tomorrow is free friday on nook I hope it's a good one this week.

message 49: by Brakedrum (last edited Nov 12, 2010 07:22AM) (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Carol: here's the main page
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?...
Way over on the right side, under bestsellers, is a column named top 100 free books, click on that.

message 50: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8267 comments THAT'S what I'm looking for!!!!

Thanks a ton, Lorraine.

Brakedrum wrote: "Carol: here's the main page
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?...
Way over on the right side, under bestsellers, is a column named top 100 free books, click on that."

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

To Kill a Mockingbird (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stieg Larsson (other topics)