Amazon Kindle discussion

new Kindle features

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth K (callaflower) | 19 comments someone on Twitter posted this link yesterday. looks like 2 neat kindle features are on the way. one is being able to view Kindle periodicals on Kindle apps. and probably the most exciting is Kindle lending. similar to the nook, some books will be available for lending to other kindle users for 14 days. i'm not 100% certain, but it looks like this may be once per book though. it's still pretty exciting. makes me want to get a kindle for my mom as we read a lot of the same books.

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/foru...

message 2: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Having the ability to lend a book that expires on someone else's device may be a step toward being able to use library ebooks. I know a lot of people are really looking forward to that particular feature.

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie Smith So excited about the ability to lend to friends. I know that a number of my friends plan to get a kindle in the near future and the possibility of sharing books would really speed that along. I'm also really hoping the library ebook access is part of Kindle's future.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan | 23 comments Wonderful news.

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Calla wrote: "someone on Twitter posted this link yesterday. looks like 2 neat kindle features are on the way. one is being able to view Kindle periodicals on Kindle apps. and probably the most exciting is Kin..."

Why don't you hook your accounts together and download each other's books? Amazon allows that? I have done that with my mom and friends. And I currently share an account with my neighbor. I think the new lending option is nice, but it is extremely limited -- (only once). I am really hoping for an ePub announcement.

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Regina wrote: "Calla wrote: "someone on Twitter posted this link yesterday. looks like 2 neat kindle features are on the way. one is being able to view Kindle periodicals on Kindle apps. and probably the most e..."

There will never been a ePub announcement. Amazon owns the Mobi format and that's what they will always use.

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I go back and forth about whether I think Amazon will allow such capability or not. I do think we should all put pressure on overdrive.com to expand its formats.

message 8: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom Regina wrote: "I go back and forth about whether I think Amazon will allow such capability or not. I do think we should all put pressure on overdrive.com to expand its formats."
I agree !

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth K (callaflower) | 19 comments Regina wrote:

because i wouldn't want to give anyone else access to my account.

message 10: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) It is temporary while you download books and you can change your password after. That is what I do.

message 11: by Harry (new)

Harry Shannon As an author, I'm so-so about the lending idea, used books have been killing us for a decade and Kindle sales have brought a bit of relief. All for free samples, that's a great feature. Ont he other hand, lending means more readers, if not more buyers.

message 12: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom I wrote to Overdrive, this was their response-(kind of rude)

We are sorry to hear that you purchased a Kindle. Perhaps you can
return the Kindle to Amazon and purchase another device. File
compatibility is one of the huge limitations of the Kindle which is why
we publish the compatible device list on our website.

http://www.overdrive.com/resources/dr...

According to the device specifications for the Amazon Kindle, it does
not currently support DRM protected PDF or EPUB (Adobe) or PRC
(Mobipocket) files, the formats in which eBooks from OverDrive are
delivered. The Kindle also does not currently support DRM protected WMA
(Windows Media Audio) files, one of the formats in which OverDrive
Audiobooks are delivered. OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks should, however; be
able to be played on the Kindle.

This information can be found at the following URL(s) (expand
the 'Technical Details' section):

Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000...-

Kindle 2:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-...-
Generation/dp/B00154JDAI/ref=sr_1_17?
ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242740100&sr=1-17

Kindle 3:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless...-
Graphite/dp/B002FQJT3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286993341&sr=8-1

Kindle DX:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Amazo...-
Generation/dp/B0015TCML0/ref=sr_1_4?
ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242740173&sr=1-4

We are hopeful that the Kindle will be made to support more of our
formats in the future. Please contact Amazon to request that they add
support to Kindle for media formats used by libraries and required by
publishers.

Thank you,
Drew
OverDrive Support Team

message 13: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Very rude indeed! File compatability is not only a Kindle problem -- I am guessing that other ereaders (or overdrive) could pay Amazon a licensing fee to use their format (just as a company pays Adobe for a licensing fee to use DRM PDFs).

Kudos to you for writing -- I am going to do it now.

message 14: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I don't think I have ever heard a vendor diss another company quite so harshly.

message 15: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
I know, seriously. I would be hesitant to ever use a product from a company with rude customer service like that. They're basically like "Sucks for you. Go tell Amazon to let us use their shit for free."

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelah110) | 82 comments Yodamom wrote: "I wrote to Overdrive, this was their response-(kind of rude)

We are sorry to hear that you purchased a Kindle. Perhaps you can
return the Kindle to Amazon ..."

I guess I am confused, as to the value of overdrive...
do they have books not available elsewhere?

message 17: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Yes in a sense. It is the company that makes ebooks available through libraries. Check out their website.

message 18: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom Regina wrote: "Yes in a sense. It is the company that makes ebooks available through libraries. Check out their website."
Yes, My digital library uses them and I download a lot of books through them. I can read them on my phone, PDA and LapTop but would love to have all books on one devise.

message 19: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Yodamom, what app do you use to read overdrive.com books on your iphone -- are you using the overdrive.com app, the sony app, the kobo app or the nook app? How do you sync it on to your iphone?