Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Leo's 50 Books for 2010

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leo (last edited Dec 07, 2010 11:53PM) (new)

Leo | 11 comments Since I'm starting so late I'm going to make my goal to be 25 books by the end of the year. If I finish early I'll push it to 50.

I have so many books (over 800) on my Kindle to read that I seriously need to start getting through them. There is a quote that goes something like: "Live as if you will die tomorrow, learn as if you will live forever."

I feel that my list of read and to read books is quite diverse. It includes a mixture of romance, business, fanfiction, science fiction, young adult, Australian, and nonfiction books.

message 2: by Carol (last edited Oct 26, 2010 09:43AM) (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments The Naked Quidditch Match sounds interesting...although I really don't think I want to picture most of Hogwarts' naked...why isn't Fast Forward on your list?

Also, I see you are a Michael Crichton fan, have you read his non-fiction somewhat biographical paperback TRAVELS?

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma | 302 comments 2013 (assuming the world doesn't end in 2012) - 150

made me laugh so hard!

message 4: by Leo (new)

Leo | 11 comments I've decided I'm going to like it here. Everyone's so friendly. I wasn't expecting anyone to reply to my list.

Emma,
Glad I made you laugh.

Carol,
Do you mean the book Fast Forward that the TV Series is based on?

I have not read Michael's biography. But I'll look into it. I'm currently reading The Andromeda Strain.

Does goodreads have a feature where users can send a book recommendation to another user?

message 5: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alexandrans) | 73 comments "2013 (assuming the world doesn't end in 2012) - 150" - That one made me smile.

Just wondering, you said you didn't like the Atlantis Complex. Is it the whole series you didn't like, or just that one? Because I've read the first five or six, and found them to be enjoyable, if easy reads. I'll probably end up reading the Atlantis Complex either way if only because it galls me to stop reading a series halfway through (unless I really hate it), but I'm curious.

message 6: by Leo (new)

Leo | 11 comments Alex,
I have loved the Artemis Fowl series since book one. The book that came before Atlantis Complex was probably the book I liked least in the series before this one. I'll be checking out the next book when it comes out but I don't know if I'll read it.

Have you read the Alex Rider series?

message 7: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alexandrans) | 73 comments I agree with you, the 6th Artemis Fowl was my least favorite as well - I'll probably check out the 7th book anyway when I get around to it, but as swamped as I am that will probably be a while.

I haven't read the Alex Rider series yet, but it's been on my list for a while now. Are they good books?

message 8: by Leo (new)

Leo | 11 comments The Alex Rider series is very good. Crocodile Tears, the most recent book, is on my list to read this year.

message 9: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alexandrans) | 73 comments Okay, thanks for the recommendation. I'll move them up my to-read list for whenever I get the time to start a new book. How difficult are they? I mean, I know they're young adult, but are they quick one or two night reads, or they the kind that take a week and a half (or longer) to get through?

message 10: by Leo (new)

Leo | 11 comments I guess it depends on how fast of a reader you are. I'd be interested to know how long it takes you to get through one. The first one will seem a bit dated because the technology in it is rather old now (like a gameboy).

message 11: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alexandrans) | 73 comments I'm typically a quick reader, but it all depends on how much time I have (which lately is not a lot). I'll let you know when I read the first one though.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman | 469 comments "Carol,
Do you mean the book Fast Forward that the TV Series is based on?"

Yes. I didn't know that it was taken from a book, and since I don't have a tv now (have to go to my son's to watch Leverage) I didn't even get to see one episode before it was whisked away. I liked the premise and thought that the book might be interesting too...it's also interesting to see how much a series can expand on an existing premise (book, movie, play, short story etc.) as in the case of, say, M*A*S*H which lasted many seasons. In that case the characters in the series ended up being very different from the book.

message 13: by Leo (last edited Dec 07, 2010 11:54PM) (new)

Leo | 11 comments I have finished reading The Naked Quidditch Match and I've moved it to the read list.

Seventeen books left to go. I think that Andromeda Strain will be finished next.

message 14: by Leo (last edited Dec 07, 2010 11:55PM) (new)

Leo | 11 comments I just finished "The Andromeda Strain" by Michael Crichton yesterday.

message 17: by Leo (new)

Leo | 11 comments Well I only finished 12. I started late on this so it's understandable that I didn't reach my goal. My goal will be 50 for this new year.