Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2010-11 - Time Travel - What will you read in November?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments November's shelf is Time Travel, enjoy everyone
http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/t...

message 2: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments I think I will be reading To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis.

message 3: by Candiss (last edited Nov 01, 2010 02:03PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) I am going to start with Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy and a re-read of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde in preparation for continuing the series.

Edit to add: My library just acquired How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu, and I am fourth in the queue for a hold. If I can get it in time, I'll try to wedge this title in for the monthly shelf, too.

message 4: by Cam (new)

Cam I hope to read If I Should Die Before I Wake By Han Nolan. I would highly recommend Kindred By Octavia E. Butler to anyone who's stuck for a choice, it's excellent.

message 5: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments At least two of the books on my YOU CHOOSE list are on the time travel shelf:

* Gideon the Cutpurse by Linda Buckley-Archer
* Time Cat: The Remarkable Journeys of Jason and Gareth by Lloyd Alexander

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_grove) | 7 comments Kindred! It's been on my TBR list forever!

message 7: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments The Time Traveler's Wife - This book is really multi-tasking for me this month. It should cover the time travel shelf, I own it for the You Choose Challenge here, and a past group read for another group I haven't gotten around to yet.

message 8: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod | 221 comments I am either going to read Slaughterhouse-Five or The Time Machine

message 9: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments I'm with Blarneygod with:
Slaughterhouse-Five or
The Time Machine

but I also have several others on my TBR shelf that seem to be on the list. Let's see where November ends up taking me :0)

message 10: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 234 comments I'm going to take the opportunity to reread one of my favorite books:
Son of the Morning

and these two that I just picked up:
Both Sides of Time
Out of Time

message 11: by CassandraJulia (new)

CassandraJulia (goodreadscomcassandraj) | 11 comments LynnB wrote: "I think I will be reading To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis."

I'm going to read this one too!

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I am going to try to get to First Among Sequels and Time of My Life: A Novel.
What a wonderfully eclectic shelf!

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) I'm going to start with The Gargoyle as it is also on my You Choose challenge and after that I don't know, I've only got another 50 or so that I can choose from so hopefully I should be able to find something.

message 14: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Karen wrote: "I'm going to start with The Gargoyle as it is also on my You Choose challenge and after that I don't know, I've only got another 50 or so that I can choose from so hopefully I should..."

Only 50 Karen? ;op

message 15: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments Good pick! I've already got a few books from that shelf on my TBR, but that's no fun, so I think I'm going to try one of the following:
The 13th Hour by Richard Doetsch Once a Witch (Witch, #1) by Carolyn MacCullough In the Garden of Iden (The Company Series #1) by Kage Baker

message 16: by Tien (last edited Oct 24, 2010 05:02PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8733 comments Mod
GREAT Shelf! I loved The Time Traveller's Wife & Outlander but I think I may try to read Doomsday Book and / or The Little Book

message 17: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leo23) I'm going to start with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as it fits with the Shortest Book task on my You Choose challenge. Great pick. Looking forward to something fun and silly to read for a change.

message 18: by onarock (new)

onarock | 107 comments Cam wrote: "I would highly recommend Kindred By Octavia E. Butler to anyone who's stuck for a choice, it's excellent."

thanx cam, have added this to my tbr list

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments This is a great shelf there looks like a lot of good reads to choose from. I'm going to try for:
Timeline by Michael Chrichton
Time Enough for Love by Robert Heinlein
The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier

And if I can find a copy I'd love to read To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

message 20: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1610 comments Sarah, would you like to borrow my copy of
To Say Nothing of the Dog?

message 21: by J. Travis (last edited Nov 29, 2010 04:22PM) (new)

J. Travis Moger | 50 comments Definitely a category I don't have much experience with, although I love Madeleine L'Engle's children's classic A Wrinkle in Time.

I hope to read one or more of the following:

The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells 11/29
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain

And for good measure: Robert A. Heinlein's short story "All You Zombies" 11/2

message 22: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Nov 30, 2010 01:10PM) (new)

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments I think I am going to read The Well of Lost Plots to continue in on the series. We'll see how much further I get in the month.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments Coralie wrote: "Sarah, would you like to borrow my copy of To Say Nothing of the Dog?"

That's a very tempting offer Coralie. I see you are from Melbourne, which area?

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) Slayermel wrote: "Karen wrote: "I'm going to start with The Gargoyle as it is also on my You Choose challenge and after that I don't know, I've only got another 50 or so that I can choose from so hope..."

I know, but the other 800 on the tbr pile aren't on this shelf so I'll just have to get by. ;0)

message 26: by Shelli (new)

Shelli LynnB wrote: "I think I will be reading To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis."

I want to read this too...if I can get a copy.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
Too many good possibilities!
Not realistic to think I'll get to all of these, but I've requested from the library:
>Kindred by Butler, Octavia E.
>The Eyre affair, by Fforde, Jasper
>The cure, by Levitin, Sonia
>Found, by Haddix, Margaret Peterson
>The time machine, by Wells, H. G.
>Behold the man, by Moorcock, Michael

And now that I've looked at other people's lists, I'm wondering about adding:
>The House on the Strand, by Daphne du Maurier
>Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein
But I notice that Time Enough for Love is the 2nd of 5 Heinlein books dealing with the character Lazarus Long. I'm wondering if it might be better to start with Methuselah's Children, the first of those (1941).

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
Susan, I missed The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier. I love her writing. I may have to check that one out, too.

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily | 53 comments I'm excited for this shelf. I never really thought of time travel as a catergory unto itself so I was surprised to see how many books were on the shelf.
I'm going to start with The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde and Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough.

message 30: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments Shelli wrote: "LynnB wrote: "I think I will be reading To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis."

I want to read this too...if I can get a copy."

Looks like this one is being picked by several people! It will be interesting to see the variety in the reviews.

message 31: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) To Say Nothing of the Dog is one of my favorite books, although it's been several years since I read it. It's clever, hilarious, and brimming with detail...very well-researched.

message 32: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (nchhynes) | 55 comments I just bought The Time Traveler's Wife. I'll start with that.

message 33: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Candiss wrote: "I am going to start with Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy and a re-read of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde in preparation for conti..."

Loved the Eyre Affair. Have fun!

message 34: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Leonie wrote: "I'm going to start with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as it fits with the Shortest Book task on my You Choose challenge. Great pick. Looking forward to something fun and silly to ..."

I wish I could read Hitchhiker for this, but I already did. Can we re-read for these? I could use a little humor. Does anyone know of some other funny ones?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
I pretty sure that we have never had a rule against re-reads for the regular monthly shelves. Just for some of the challenges, like the U choose.

message 36: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Crystal wrote: "Leonie wrote: "I'm going to start with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as it fits with the Shortest Book task on my You Choose challenge. Great pick. Looking forward to something fu..."

Crystal - Have you read the rest of the Hitchhiker's series? They are on the Time Travel shelf, too. The whole series is a hoot.

message 37: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Candiss wrote: "Crystal wrote: "Leonie wrote: "I'm going to start with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as it fits with the Shortest Book task on my You Choose challenge. Great pick. Looking forward..."

I know I read the first and second, but I think that is as far as I went. I will have to take a look. Thanks for reminding me there are more. :)

message 38: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Oh, If any of you liked A Wrinkle in Time, I highly recommend When You Reach Me as a companion book.

message 39: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 234 comments Crystal wrote: "Oh, If any of you liked A Wrinkle in Time, I highly recommend When You Reach Me as a companion book."

I second the recommendation for
When You Reach Me!

message 40: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments BJ Rose wrote: "Crystal wrote: "Oh, If any of you liked A Wrinkle in Time, I highly recommend When You Reach Me as a companion book."

I second the recommendation for
[book:When You Reach Me|53105..."

A seconding here for both books!

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
Crystal wrote: "Oh, If any of you liked A Wrinkle in Time, I highly recommend When You Reach Me as a companion book."

And I was really surprised to see how many more there are of the Murry family. when I read it with my kids, there were only 3. The series ended with A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Now there are at least 5 (Many Waters, An Acceptable Time).

message 42: by Vivian (last edited Oct 27, 2010 08:29PM) (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments Loved A Wrinkle in Time, but gotta say I thought the second one (A Wind in the Door) was a disappointment. Will look into When You Reach Me though.

message 43: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) | 44 comments I'm going to attempt The Time Traveler's Wife. I just started a new job and haven't been reading much the last couple months so here's hoping I'll actually get to be able to read one this month!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to listen to The Little Book

message 45: by Stormy (new)

Stormy | 10 comments I'm going to read Beyond the Highland Mist

message 46: by Nathan (new)

Nathan I will be reading THE TIME TRAVELLERS WIFE. It's supposed to be really good, and it's been made into a movie (I think).
Im surprised I haven't read it yet.
If I have time I'll be reading another book from this shelf too.

message 47: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Great shelf pick. THis is a topic I have always been interested in. I have a long list of things I found interesting but I will actually pick my list after I go to the library on the 9th (when I next go to the doctor's). Still can't get out much but feeling great and reading a lot (not that you guys should care, but hey, I;m lonely! :) ).

message 48: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Ahhhh Lynne, we care :o)
I'm sorry your stuck in, but what a great excuse to read!!!
Hope your doing well and it's nothing to serious, so you can be back to your old self soon. :0)

message 49: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Lynne- I hope you are feeling better too!! I bet you have got a lot of reading done though! How much longer are you stunk in?

message 50: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Slayermel wrote: "Ahhhh Lynne, we care :o)
I'm sorry your stuck in, but what a great excuse to read!!!
Hope your doing well and it's nothing to serious, so you can be back to your old self soon. :0)"

Thanks for participating in my pity party. At least I may complete my A-Z challenge this year by strategically choosing my books. LOL

« previous 1