Chuck Palahniuk Rocks My Socks discussion

What Chuck P. would you suggest I read next?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (nicholas_c_encinias) | 15 comments I started with Survivor, then I read Choke which I adored, then I just finished Invisible Monsters, but I cant decide what to get next. One I know I dont wanna try is Haunted mainly because I'm not much for short stories except when it comes to Richard Matheson. But I'm not sure which to go with please help me out?

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail (nolollygagging) | 2 comments Oh man, you gotta read Haunted. You will not regret it~~

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Haunted was amazing!!!!!

Rant was also good but I felt like I was always behind. Like I should've understood more of the story than I did. I'm rereading it right now...maybe the 2nd time I'll get more.

message 4: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (nicholas_c_encinias) | 15 comments I must say Lullaby was not that good I should've took your advice on Haunted but I'm gonna try Rant before Haunted.

message 5: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (nicholas_c_encinias) | 15 comments ok bought Rant but I read the story Guts from Haunted and I am truly Haunted by it.

message 6: by lbuch79 (new)

lbuch79 Haunted and Rant are probably my favorites. I really liked lullaby as well. I think my least favorite has been snuff.

message 7: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (nicholas_c_encinias) | 15 comments OK reading Haunted now and so far so good.

message 8: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (nicholas_c_encinias) | 15 comments OK read Haunted I gotta say it was great very disturbing

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben | 6 comments I really enjoyed Lullaby, Its sorta soft core Chuck when compared to something like Haunted, but full of a lot of internal struggle witch I think he does really well. If you liked survivor as much as I did, I would recommend it as it's sort of on the same wave length.

message 10: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (nicholas_c_encinias) | 15 comments Read Lullaby I did not like it that much but I think I will re-read it soon

message 11: by Sammich (new)

Sammich | 2 comments Invisable Monsters was awesome if you haven't checked it out yet.

I am all about some Chuck.

Haunted isn't really short stories in my opinion. It's hard to explain. The entire book has one plot and the shorter stories are written by the characters that inhabit that main plot. If that makes any sense at all.... there is a reason I am not a writer. Anyways, I'm glad you read it and I hope you enjoyed it.

message 12: by Adrian (new)

Adrian (chizzler80) | 1 comments I dont see anyone talking about fight club - which is by far chucks best writing..

message 13: by Clairebear (new)

Clairebear (cefuselier) | 1 comments Haunted was great...but I would recommend reading Diary next. It's quite brilliant.

message 14: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas (nicholas_c_encinias) | 15 comments Yeah I read it and loved it

message 15: by Sammich (new)

Sammich | 2 comments It took me reading Rant a second time to really appreciate the story he was trying to tell.

message 16: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (natushka) Fight Club!

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 3 comments Fight Club. Chuck's nihilistic rantings come into full effect in this one, also read Invisible Monsters... it is one of the most original and enriching horror stories I have ever read. HAUNTED is an absolute delight as well.
I am hoping to read every copy of Chuck's work, so I'll be there cheering you on from the sidelines....

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (littletiern) RANT!!!!!!! it's by faaaaar my favorite. i don't want to say it's unlike any of his other works, because they are all different and totally effed up, but Rant left me hanging in a way that his other books didn't. supposedly it's the first of a trilogy...

message 19: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 3 comments Stephanie wrote: "RANT!!!!!!! it's by faaaaar my favorite. i don't want to say it's unlike any of his other works, because they are all different and totally effed up, but Rant left me hanging in a way that his othe..."

If Rant is the first in a trilogy I am going to crap my pants in amazement....
:D Happy to see we share similar tastes in literature!

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (littletiern) Andrew wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "RANT!!!!!!! it's by faaaaar my favorite. i don't want to say it's unlike any of his other works, because they are all different and totally effed up, but Rant left me hanging in a..."

don't get your panties in a twist just yet! i can't remember where i read it, i think it was on his website. it said something like "rant, the first of a sci-fi trilogy..." he's going to be interviewed in next month's issue of playboy, hopefully he'll mention something about it!

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 12, 2009 05:17AM) (new)

i can't believe everyone likes haunted so much. I think it is easily one of his worst books. Read Fight Club, Invisible Monsters, Survivor and Choke. Diary, Lullaby, Haunted. HIs work really took a dive he when decided to do a trilogy of horror books. At least that is what he intended. Haunted

message 22: by Amber (new)

Amber (vivalakincade) | 1 comments Lullaby or Invisible Monsters

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sheffield i suggest Rant, it has his special brand of humor and morbidity. i would say this is one of my favorites, not near as heavy and graphic as Haunted. palahniuks version of light reading

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Haunted (other topics)