Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > "15 Movies That Are Better Than the Book"

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Oct 22, 2010 09:32AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Below is a link to an article entitled:
"15 Movies That Are Better Than the Book":
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10...
Excerpt:
"The book is so much better than the movie. We've all said it, we've all heard it. And we all think it's always true, that the book is better than the movie. But, maybe not."

The article referenced above presents a short clip of each movie with a short, informative comment below it. For example, for the film "A Wonderful Life" it says:
"Short Story by Philip Van Doren Stern - The short story "The Greatest Gift" was the inspiration for "It's A Wonderful Life," but it's hard to hear George Bailey's words without that characteristic Jimmy Stewart lilt."

Another example:
For the film "Psycho", it says:
"Book by Robert Bloch - 'Psycho' is the highest-grossing movie of Hitchcock's career, causing a frenzy when it was released in 1960 ("It is required that you see 'Psycho' from the beginning!") and becoming a classic over the years. It's the film--not the book--that was deemed 'culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the Library of Congress.'"

Click on the link above to see the complete article.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6330 comments There were a couple there I knew & agreed with. A couple I didn't. Sometimes I think it depends on the order in which I see/read them.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Oct 22, 2010 11:10AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Good point, Jim. Seeing the movie first can influence the effect the book has on the reader. The mind isn't as free to draw its own pictures as it reads. Also, knowing things ahead of time, affects one's emotional response.