Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2010-10 ANATHEM: the vocabulary *may contain spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
What did you think of Anathem's specialized vocabulary? Did you use the glossary a lot?

message 2: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments When I read it (as a new release) I spent quite a bit of my time looking in the glossary. Really slowed down my reading, which was probably good because I am often guilty of reading faster than I can really take in (and miss important points).

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I'm reading it on my Nook, so I didn't even know there was a glossary. I'm really not finding it hard to understand the vocabulary. I just go with the flow and pretend I know what the words mean. It's usually pretty obvious from the context. When it's not, I usually catch on sooner or later. It did take a while to figure out what a jeejah was.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1359 comments I had some issues for the first 30 or 40 pages then the words clicked. I knew exactly what they meant.

message 5: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 877 comments I have the audio books, so like Sandi I didn't realize there was a glossary.

As others have mentioned, I never had any issues with the language. Context was efficient at explaining what the various words mean.

I could have used a character list. I kept loosing track of who was who when it came to the more uncommon characters. :)

message 6: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I tend to peek at the back of every book I read, not to read the ending but to see how many pages it is, how many chapters, author bio and so on. It's just something I always do when I start a new book. So anyway, I saw the glossary right away, and because I am unable to see a word I don't know without looking it up, I ended up going back and forth to it so much that I ended up having a second bookmark there. Then I started cross-referencing entries (e.g. about the difference between the syntactic and semantic schools of thought), and as a result, it took me a few days to get through those first 50 pages or so. Once I got settled in, I really enjoyed the novel, but up to that point there were a few times I almost gave up. You can see the process here (start reading from the bottom of the page): http://sraets.livejournal.com/tag/nea...

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Hmmm. Sounds like it's better to have the ebook or an audiobook.

message 8: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Stefan wrote: "What did you think of Anathem's specialized vocabulary? Did you use the glossary a lot?"

Personally, I enjoy books that challenge me as a reader. I found the vocabulary intriguing and well worth the effort with the glossary and context reference.