Historical Fictionistas discussion

Group Read Discussions > November/December Group Read: The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Comments Showing 1-50 of 308 (308 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3416 comments Mod
Hi all,
I'm starting this one a bit early since we're coming up on the holiday season. Might be a bit busy in the coming months, yeah?

So, please nominate ONE book you'd like to read and discuss with the group starting November 15th. Only one nomination per person - if more than one are mentioned, I'll take the first one as the nomination. Please link to title and author.

I'll take nominations until October 28th and then we'll vote! :)

message 2: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 675 comments The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran since so many of us enjoyed Cleopatra's Daughter by that author. In fact, reading Cleopatra's Daughter was my first read with this group. I would hope that The Heretic Queen would be equally as good.

message 3: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 257 comments I nominate Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society because it is a quick read ..with the holidays coming and all.

message 4: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (vegancleopatra) | 133 comments I will nominate Queen of Camelot since I voted for it last time and it nearly won as well. Perhaps it will this time. =)

message 5: by Terri (last edited Oct 23, 2010 03:51AM) (new)

Terri I nominate The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova because I have put it on reserve at the library and will be reading it in November. Be nice to have some folks to read it with.

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I really like the noms so far so I'm going to refrain from nominating in this round :)

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 319 comments I'd like to nominate The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons

message 8: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2795 comments I second Queen of Camelot

message 9: by JC (last edited Oct 23, 2010 07:35AM) (new)

JC (jmnc) | 521 comments I loved The Historian!

I'd like to nominate City of Thieves by David Benioff. I just finished it and gave it 5 stars and it's now one of those books I want EVERYONE to read!

message 10: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) I third Queen of Camelot, but would be just as happy with the Heretic Queen

message 11: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Hi all, just a reminder that every book nominated will be on the poll, so there's no need to second or third nominations. :)

message 12: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (brookeonbooks) | -8 comments I nominate The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. It intrigued me during last month's poll.

message 13: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) I will abstain from nomination, as there are several already listed that I would be happy to read.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I'd like to second The Historian!

message 15: by Lisa (last edited Oct 23, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Lisa I nominate The Widow of the South, by Robert Hicks. It's a true story, and one that I've been planning to read for some time now.

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I'll third The Historian :)

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (harshmallow) | 397 comments The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory because the Tudors are always fun and we've been reading about so much modern history lately.

message 18: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) I am going to throw out two. One I have read Dragonwyck and the second I am currently reading The House at Riverton . Both were thoroughly enjoyed.

message 19: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Chris wrote: "I'd like to second The Historian!"

LOL

message 20: by Felina (new)

Felina I want to second The Potato Pie & The Shadow of the Wind. I want to double second.

message 21: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Felina wrote: "I want to second The Potato Pie & The Shadow of the Wind. I want to double second."

Oh you guys. Such jokers. *I will ban, ban, ban you all!!!!* LOL :P

Naomi, only one nomination per person, so Dragonwyck it is. :)

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I want to double dog second Felina's choices as well... Ok I'm done now. Sorry Becky, couldn't resist! :)

message 23: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Oops, sorry, Becky....I'll go hide in my corner now and slap my hands! I promise, it will never happen again!!! ;)

message 24: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Naomi wrote: "Oops, sorry, Becky....I'll go hide in my corner now and slap my hands! I promise, it will never happen again!!! ;)"

LOL No problem Naomi! ;)

message 25: by Terri (new)

Terri I want to third The Histor-....oh wait..I nominated it so I can't third it.. :-)

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 62 comments Becky, it's like herding cats, eh? :)

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Best way to herd cats - vacuum cleaners. Just saying. :)

And now back to nominations....

message 28: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2795 comments you can do that with dogs too :)

message 29: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 319 comments Sounds like there's a good selection to put in the poll - Looking forward to seeing all the choices

message 30: by Michelle (new)

message 31: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Michelle, please link to title and author rather than adding the bookcover. Thanks! :)

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 30 comments Sorry Becky! Okay, I nominate Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin.

message 33: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Thanks! :)

message 34: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 257 comments Brooke wrote: "I nominate The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. It intrigued me during last month's poll."

ohhh that's a good one...

message 36: by Terri (new)

Terri Michelle/ wrote: " I nominate Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin."

Darn, I wish you had said the second book. I have that one out from the library on audiobook and haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. :-)

message 37: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I wouldn't mind Mistress of the Art of Death winning... I have that one and it would give me a reason to read it sooner rather than later. ;)

message 38: by Rachel (last edited Oct 26, 2010 11:29AM) (new)

Rachel G (anplica) | 282 comments I recommend Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier! I love her other works and look forward to exploring more of her books.

message 39: by Heidi (last edited Oct 26, 2010 02:25PM) (new)

Heidi | 59 comments I'll throw a little Rome in there...Roman Blood by Steven Saylor... combines mystery and historical fiction-- my favorite combo!

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 62 comments I think I'd like to see Dragonwyck selected for the next book. I'm always looking at the Anya Seton books at the book store, but haven't gone as far as buying one yet. I'll probably do it soon anyway, but if it was a group read that would be great. For me, at least. :)

message 41: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 63 comments Amy wrote: "I think I'd like to see Dragonwyck selected for the next book. I'm always looking at the Anya Seton books at the book store, but haven't gone as far as buying one yet...."

I agree on this one, Amy. I've got it on my list to read within the next couple of months. It looks really good.

message 42: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Do you think that I should end the nominations early and set up the poll?

message 43: by Felina (new)

Felina Yes yes yes!!!

message 44: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Becky wrote: "Do you think that I should end the nominations early and set up the poll?"

There are a lot of good suggestions already, so maybe that would be best.

message 45: by Nikki (last edited Oct 26, 2010 06:05PM) (new)

Nikki (vegancleopatra) | 133 comments I vote yes on polling early.

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Felina wrote: "Yes yes yes!!!"

I love it when you say that....

Ummm...errr...yeah. Agree. Poll time...yeah.

message 47: by Terri (new)

Terri I like when Chris watches you saying that.

Yes, yes, put the poll up Becky..

message 48: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I like watching Terri watch Chris watch Felina... Err, never mind.

I'm for putting the poll up.

message 49: by Terri (last edited Oct 26, 2010 03:56PM) (new)

Terri Since we're all watching Dawn watch me, watching Chris, watch Felina, maybe we should call it Chris' poll.

message 50: by Felina (new)

Felina You guys are a bunch of nervertmits.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7