~Opinions~ discussion

Education > Evolution or Religion in Schools

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Emma (last edited Oct 22, 2010 07:59AM) (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Usually, kids are taught about Evolution in school. They're told that this is how it is, and this is how we came to be, blahblahblah. However, some people don't think like that. Should relegion be taught alongside evolution?

Perosnally I don't think so. I think that it's allright to have about relegions in school, but your relegion and your education dosen't mix. School is neutral in many ways, and I think it'd be very bad for society if kids started learning relegion alongside evolution.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 22, 2010 09:30AM) (new)

I like the idea of evolution being taught in schools because there is so much evidence for it. Since there isn't as much 'hard' evidence for religion, I wouldn't think it would work; not to mention the fact that there are countless religions in existence, so would they all have to be taught, or just the bigger ones? And who would decide which religions are important enough to teach in schools?

Just a thought...

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yeah I know. In my school, we have "Relegion". But that's not teaching us that some relegion is right, it's just teaching us about relegions. All the way back to the greeks with Zeus, Poseidon and Hades . Later turning into the Roman and some about the Northern, the Jewish, muslim, Christian and so on and so forth. You get the picture. It's pretty cool, 'cause it's easier to evaliate and understand.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I took Mythology in high school, and I loved it.

message 5: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) It's good to learn abt relelgions (all of em) along side science, like any other subject. It gives u knowledge abt others ebelifs alongwith ur own. I used to be taught abt dif relegions in scool, wen I was very young and it was a gud experience.

message 6: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments evolution and religion should be taught. learning about other religions will prevent discrimination. but there are so many religions, some ppl might get offended if theirs isn't picked to be taught. the two most touchy subjects in the world are politics and religion!

message 7: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I think the main relegions shld be taught, u knw covering the overall thing in one week. Christianity, Buddhisn, Islam, Judaism... thas the ones we learnt abt

message 8: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments yeah, but ppl of other religions might get upset. i would.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

That's what I meant earlier when I said who would get to decide which religions would be taught.

message 10: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Well these are the main relegions... and mabye I missed a few more. There's a long year ahead, if we were to be taught a reelgion for one/two weeks, there'd be more than enuff tym

message 11: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments i guess, yeah

message 12: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Religion should only be taught in public schools in the general sense to permit an understanding of the basic history and tenets of each religion for the purpose of increasing your overall knowledge. Religion should not be taught for the purpose of indoctrination. Separation of church and state.

message 13: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) mm hmm, I agree. also because sum parents mite get offended at being fed another relegion then their own. Giving hist n basics of all main relelgions is a way in which kids can understand each other.

message 14: by Rayne (last edited Oct 22, 2010 02:30PM) (new)

Rayne | 49 comments I once told my parents I wanted to be a Goth at fifteen, just for a joke seeing what there restions might be like. They flipped! And were on the verge of sending me to a nuns school! It took ages to convince them I didnt and it was a joke! They even tried to look at my wrists! I said I wanted to be a Goth, not a Emo!

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren At my high school, there is a subject you can pick that teaches you about the religions, but its your choice and i think thats good. But in my primary, i thought it was really unfair because my school realy pushed christianity on everyone because one of our deputy head teachers was christian, and i thought that was unfair, we had to sing hims in assembly and stuff and it wasnt fair because 1.Most people at my school werent even religious 2.We had people that were from a different religion, that got made to sing hims too which is wrong.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with there being a class that goes over multiple religions. That would give a broad spectrum of information to people. I actually learned about a few different religions when I took geography in seventh grade, but we didn't delve too deeply into it. We mainly discussed an overview of the different religions.

message 17: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Overview is fine, getting in depth can get touchy with sum people. and I do think that it should b a choice subject for people who are intrested.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it should be a choice, too. I would have enjoyed taking a class in religions when I was in high school, but I wouldn't have wanted it to be mandatory. I enjoy learning about religions even though I'm a non-believer.

message 19: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I enjoy knowing abt other relegions so I am prepared of wat non-muslims will ask me if such a situation pops up. I really like to give answers according to my relelgion and try to persuade people into beeliving. maybe because I love heated arguments. but at the same time, I also value wat others think and say or beleive. I am a stauch beeliver of having freedom

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I tend to avoid arguments like the plague :P. Confrontation makes me nervous, but I enjoy a passionate debate :). Which, I guess, is probably about the same thing, but I 'passionate debate' better than 'heated argument' :P.

message 21: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) heated arguments are fun... but it can get touchy at times. that's what I love abt it. frendly arguments are good to have if someone u dnt knw is the person ur arguing wiv. bcoz heated arguments can actually cause fites wid ppl that dont knw u personally. like Nathan

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Thank you Amina, you dont ave to bring him up, allright?

- And I agree. Go heated arguments. It makes it interesting, as long as people are still being respectfull.

message 23: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Yep, untill there r civilized ppl involved then a heated argument is totally cool

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments "Usually, kids are taught about Evolution in school. They're told that this is how it is, and this is how we came to be, blahblahblah. However, some people don't think like that. Should relegion be taught alongside evolution?"
i was taught my religion and sciene alongside in my first 10 yrs of education...for the next 2 yr you get to pick your own subject :P

message 25: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I think we should be taught about religion like in World History and stuff but not as a seperate class, and not as a required class. And only really if it's to inform not to try and convert or force religion on people... not that any schools really do that I think.

But I think kids should have a choice. Like I don't even do the Pledge of Alligance because it says, "One nation under God..." which doesn't really apply to me haha :)

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments actually im a muslim so it was compulsory for me to study islamiyat....but the ppl who werent muslims were exempted from that class...

message 27: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) No non-muslims attended my school so we didn' have any prob wid studying islamiat. but then, it's an islamic country, we'll b taught our relegion obviously

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments oh we had plenty of non-muslims aswell as muslims...

message 29: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) we just had muslims because I was in islamic school. plus not many gora's live here in Khi :P

sorry I diappeared on msn... my stupid generator kept failing :/

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments amina almost every school over here is islamic.. nd isl is filled wid foreigners! :P

message 31: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) yeh but I hvnt seen any non-muslims here.

cum online

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Evolution should be taught in science class. Creationism and intelligent design are for comparative religions class.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments i dont bout catholics.. but i have never heard anyone ever sayin big band was hoax

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments I go to a Catholic school, and the only time we ever discussed creation and intelligent design was in Scripture class when we were studying Genesis, and the class focused on the metaphoric interpretation of Genesis. We've never discussed anything religiously based in science class.

message 35: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i think both should be taught. then people would know both sides and choose what to belive in, depending of their reasoning, or lack thereof.

i dont think evolution should be taught as an universal truth because not everone believes in it and those who dont are not going to write, say, in an exam "the human being evolved from the ape, which evolved from this, which evolved from that" because if the person doesnt believe in it, they shouldnt put it as a fact, you know what i mean?

message 36: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 850 comments Yeah...it's sort of like using B.C.E. and C.E. Those terms are friendly to all religions (I think), unlike B.C. and A.D.
so an evolution class should be a choice. students who believe in it and want to learn more should take it, and people who don't shouldn't. same with religion classes.

message 37: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Paige (authorlindsaypaige) I don't see a problem with evolution being taught. It's like most science things; we are told about the discoveries and theories concerning it.

We learn a little about some religions in our history classes because it is with whatever we are learning but we don't go in depth about it. I think there should be an optional religion class that gives you information about the major religions of the world, or place. It could be chosen by what most people are in that area. There chould also be classes the focus only on one religion in case someone wanted to learn more about it.

message 38: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) that happens here in Portugal

message 39: by Pandy (last edited Nov 15, 2010 05:21PM) (new)

Pandy I think evolution needs to be taught in schools.

A Vida é Bela (Stray) wrote: "i think both should be taught. then people would know both sides and choose what to belive in, depending of their reasoning, or lack thereof.

i dont think evolution should be taught as an universa..."

I think the idea that people should simply pick and choose what to believe in, in this case, is distrubing. No one can control another's thoughts, of course, but I don't think that evolution and creationism should be taught in a science class as equally valid explanations for the diversity of life. They can't be compared because they aren't even in the same category. Darwin's Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection is an explanation of the fact that genetic changes in populations over time have occured and are occuring. The theory has survived more than 150 years of scientific testing and has been added to as more research has been done. As Lindsay said, in a science class we can learn about the natural observations and discoveries that contribute to the theory. Creationism is based on personal beliefs and can't be treated as science - it's based on the existence of supernatural forces and can't be tested or disproved.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "Evolution should be taught in science class. Creationism and intelligent design are for comparative religions class."

I agree completely. :)

message 40: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 158 comments I went to Roman Catholic schools. Got education in religion (ours only) but very little about Darwin. He and the word evolution were mentioned and that was about it. As far as public schools go: I believe in the strict separation of church and state. If a course in religion is taught then it should be a comparative religions course as an elective. Darwin should be studied because there is empirical evidence to support the theory. Religion should be taught at home or at Sunday School or at private religious academies. I think that maybe an English class should make a biography of Darwin a required reading book and that way students can learn about him &his theory and the ongoing debate that theory generated.

message 41: by Diana (new)

Diana I agree with Michele that if religion is taught in school (unless it's a private school), it should be an elective. I wouldn't mind having evolution taught in schools as long as it isn't taught to be true. But I don't think the Origin of Species should be a required read.

message 42: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 158 comments Diana wrote: "I agree with Michele that if religion is taught in school (unless it's a private school), it should be an elective. I wouldn't mind having evolution taught in schools as long as it isn't taught to ..."

No, not Origin Of the species but a biography of Darwin himself would be appropriate. then the student could decide whether to go further and read the work itself. that's what books are supposed to do: investigate further,encourage curiousity&discovery.

message 43: by Diana (new)

Diana That seems kinda unnecessary, but oh well,.......

message 44: by Annemarie (last edited Nov 19, 2010 02:45PM) (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 470 comments I think its fascinating to learn about different cultures, and religion kind of comes with. Although, I may not be a religious person, I do love learning about it. I think that religion should be taught, but not preached, and try not to focus on one religion more than others.

As for evolution... Oy. Lots of controversy. So, no matter how much I think that is right and a fantastic explanation for us human-folk and animal-folk and all these folks, a ton of people think it is utter foolishness. And... I think that they just have to deal with it. At my school its taught and nobody seems to complain too badly, and if they do they suck it up. They don't have to believe what they are teaching us. They can simply except it as a myth if they want. But there is evidence for it... All science is, is theory. Nobody's arguing about other teaching plate tectonics or gravity, so why should evolution be any different?

message 45: by Diana (new)

Diana Juliet wrote: "I think its fascinating to learn about different cultures, and religion kind of comes with. Although, I may not be a religious person, I do love learning about it. I think that religion should be t..."

The evidence for evolution isn't accurate.

message 46: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) In what way?

message 47: by Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (last edited Nov 21, 2010 07:04AM) (new)

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments well theres the whole man evolved from apes... theres a very crucial piece of evidence that hasnt bin discovered yet... like a missin link if u will...

message 48: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) do you mean, link, far?

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments er wha amina?

message 50: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) like a missing link? or like a missing like? that doesn't make sense.

« previous 1 3