~Opinions~ discussion

Politics > Civil Disobedience

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) When is it justifiable for protesters and activists to break the law for the sake of their cause?

I saw this on another webpage, and I thought it was interesting, and worth discussing. Trough time we've had revelutions, uproars, "good" crimes and so on and so forth. Take 2nd world war; A lot of countries secretly fought Hitler, under the regime of the Nazis. The French revelution; A lot of people were killed, but we still think what they did was cool, 'cause it resulted in something good.
So, when is it allright to break the law? It's a tough nut to crack.

message 2: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) U nvr noe what'll happen in the end... so no breaking law.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren But then alot of good things wouldnt have happend if people didnt break some laws..

message 4: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I think it definintely depends on the law but in some cases I definintely think it's good to fight the power, especially if the are forcing people to do certain things or stuff like that, that you know is wrong.

message 5: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I dnt think there's any rong rule inforced today *shrug*

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Well, it's never "okay" to break the law, but sometimes it's neceserry. It is a hard matter to discuss, 'cause it all depends on the situation.

message 7: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) yep, so u shld give us a situation and then ask

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Eh, uhm... Well, if it's dictature?

message 9: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I dnt noe what that word means :P *blushes*

message 10: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Did you mean "dictatorship"?

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yeah, that's what I meant. I never heard the word in english before though, so I just winged it ;P

message 12: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) wat is dictatorship? I noe, but... i dnt :P lol

message 13: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman A dictatorship is when the leader of the country has absolute power over everything and everyone(government, laws, courts, military, people's rights, etc) and the people have no say in how things are run. Meaning, there is no democracy.

message 14: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I say fight!! if ur living a hard life dat is... if the leader is considerate and not too harsh then no reason to be all moany

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I am against every kind of dictatorship. It never ended well, did it? Mayeb it did, and I just only heard about the bad ones, but I doubt it.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments well for us democracy hasnt done wonders either...

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) For us it has :)

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments our previous leader did alot of things for the betterment of our country..but the new president well lets just say if i had the power to kick him..i would

message 19: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) haha, I'd accompany u, frend

message 20: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I guess it depends... If anyone has read like books with the alternate future thing when all the people are the same, or the people of power are doing bad stuff, then it's good to fight. But obviously that's not happenen right now...

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 158 comments Non-violent protest is always appropriate in redressing a wrong. where would we be without Mohatma Gandhi or Martin Luther King? The vietnam protesters did end that war even though it took many years. women who picketed for the right to vote or the right to earn the same pay as a man for the same job...all appropriate. Violence is never appropriate.

message 22: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Mahatma Gandhi didn't protest as far as I know. It was Mohammed Ali Jinnah who did that and achieved Pakistan for Muslims. Gandhi was happy to have the British with him.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments i kinda agree wid amina..

message 24: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 158 comments sorry people, read your history, Gandhi organized some of the greatest and massive civil disobedient protests in history. Britain did not want to let India go but Gandhi protested vigourously in a non-violent way. Martin Luther King modeled the U.S. civil rights protests from Gandhi.

message 25: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) umm, umm, umm. Excuse me. We live in Pakistan and one of our school subjects is history. Not world history, but Pak history.

Even after Pakistan got it's freedom, the british were in India. India's first governor was a british. some lord, I can't remember his name. Indians, including Gandhi, wanted the british to leave their influence and build stuff in their country. It was Jinnah who wanted no brits in Pakistan whatesoever. That's why we had to live such a hard life in the begining.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments lol weird ppl tellin us to read our own history.. which we hav bin doin for 6 yrs! :P

message 27: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) ikr! I prctically banged my head on the wall memorising why we got such a small country and no justice.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments lol i always cramped my hand while givn pk studies paper!! it was soooo lengthy!!

message 29: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) ikr! I wrote and wrote and wrote... it never finished. A never-ending test. urghhh

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments lolz!! same here! but it was fun!!! nd sumtymes it was sooooo easy!!!

message 31: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Yeh, except for the dates memorising, it was cool. When u like hist it's kinda easy, but when I just cldn't b bothered abt it, I had a heck of a tym.

LOL, dates brrr *shivers vioelntly* thats the worst.

message 32: by Siareen, Moderator (new)

Siareen | 533 comments Mod
if you dont agree with your countries leader, i think it is ok to have peaceful protest and such.
but if that leader is doing things that are harming your freedom and your family, and has been doing so for a number of years [not just decided once to do something extreme], then you should be allowed to fight for your rights. but only if you really dont have any options and living under that leaders rule is causing you and others to suffer daily, and there is no chance of it changing otherwise.

message 33: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 158 comments violence begets more violence. No one should be surprised that a culture of violence results in violence. Non violent civil disobedience can provoke violence but then the people using violence look like evil people resulting in good publicity for the non violent demonstrators and bad press for the violent people. But in repressive countries that could result in harrassment by the authorities of the entire family of the demonstrator.

message 34: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Were you aiming at a tongue twister lol?

message 35: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 158 comments no, just got up with a fuzzy brain this morning.

message 36: by Siareen, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2011 05:26AM) (new)

Siareen | 533 comments Mod
um, who were you talking to in your first post?