Manga Book Club discussion

Romance > Mars

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Starbubbles | 871 comments Mod
I have this series in a pile at home to read, and I was wondering what people thought about it. It was a really popular series when I was in high school, but for some reason I keep putting this one off. Well, I know why I keep putting it off. My friends gave me mixed reviews on the series, which didn't exactly putting a fire under my butt to get it read.

So, what do you think about it? Is it worth taking a crack at?

message 2: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Yes, I think so. It depends if you like a really sappy romance story. The characters have that kind of 'poor me' attitude, so it can be really annoying at times.

message 3: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

i love sappy series, but reading books with characters who have a victim/woe-is-me mind set is just frusturating. i just want to reach in the book and slap them! lol

message 4: by No One (new)

No One (baka) I know. The main characters can be a little like that, but I think you should give it a try. I hated the characters while reading it, but I had to finish it.

message 5: by Reggie (new)

Reggie (lovealive95) | 6 comments I'm srry, Im confused. This is a Manga right??????
Cause I looked for it on OneManga.com and it wasn't there.

message 6: by No One (last edited Oct 26, 2010 07:37AM) (new)

No One (baka) It's manga. You can't read on onemanga.com anymore, but I think you can find Mars on mangafox.com

message 7: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

we have a topic with lots of other sites in it too. i forget them at the moment, but between them all, you should be able to find just about anything.

message 8: by Reggie (new)

Reggie (lovealive95) | 6 comments Starbubbles wrote: "we have a topic with lots of other sites in it too. i forget them at the moment, but between them all, you should be able to find just about anything."

Great. Thank u both.

message 9: by E. (new)

E. R. (dilawrosas) | 20 comments This is a very angsty series. It takes a lot to just read through it. Personally, I read this series a long time ago and I do appreciate it. If you like drama, then this is it. It's not a very light drama, but just like they said, it does have that "victim" attitude to the story.

message 10: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

It was really popular when I was in high school (which was like 6, 7 years ago), so I'm not surprised that you read it a long time ago. It was right around when Peach Girl was coming out too.

It's sounding a little like Hot Gimmick, which I did have some issues when I read that one too. I guess themes get released in spurts, huh

message 11: by No One (new)

No One (baka) Oh, it's a lot more troublesome than Hot Gimmick. So if you had a hard time with that manga, then you shouldn't read this.

By the way, I wished that she had ended up with her adoptive brother. I hated the ending of Hot Gimmick!

message 12: by Reggie (new)

Reggie (lovealive95) | 6 comments One of the series is The Maximum Ride Manga's.
So afr I've read books 1&2, and I'm trying to get a hold of book 3.

message 13: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

No One wrote: "Oh, it's a lot more troublesome than Hot Gimmick. So if you had a hard time with that manga, then you shouldn't read this.

By the way, I wished that she had ended up with her adoptive brother. I h..."

i hated the majority of hot gimmick. i'm just not into abussive relationships being presented as acceptable. despise that! while i was "rooting" for him too, i can understand why they didn't end up together.

i had issues with gravitation now that i think about it. i enjoyed it, but it was hard to read from time to time. i actually take issue with a lot of manga. lol. like i have issues with tanemura's interpretation of christianity and purity in kamikaze kaito jeanne, red river's patriarchal tone, hana kimi's and w juilet's interpretation of americans, and how rape was brushed off in duck prince, fushugi yugi, and gravitation.

i re-read the vast majority of my manga more than once, so sometimes my "issues" with them come about after the 20th time i've read a series.

message 14: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 42 comments No One wrote: "Oh, it's a lot more troublesome than Hot Gimmick. So if you had a hard time with that manga, then you shouldn't read this.

By the way, I wished that she had ended up with her adoptive brother. I h..."

That ending sucked big time. I totally agree with you!

message 15: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 42 comments E. wrote: "This is a very angsty series. It takes a lot to just read through it. Personally, I read this series a long time ago and I do appreciate it. If you like drama, then this is it. It's not a very ..."

Very angsty indeed. I read it years ago and don't even know if i have it on my shelves yet, but i even gave the books away since i was not going to do a re-read. I would recommend you watch the drama, because while it's dramatic at least the action is better.

message 16: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 45 comments Is there anywhere online to watch the series?

message 17: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 42 comments I think they may be some episodes still on YT. I would try d-addicts.com, if you cannot find them all. They also have the subtitles for it.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan | 28 comments I'm starting to read this.

message 19: by ληgєłα (new)

ληgєłα  (angelacousins) | 9 comments I read the start of Mars and initially I liked it, but it started to get a bit boring the further I read on. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if it gets any better the further you read on. I have read about five chapters.