European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > The Concubine: Chapters 34 - 49

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss chapters 34 through 49 here.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Hhhhmmm, I would give the first half of the book 4 stars, but right now I would give the second half 2 stars. I don't really like how Anne slept with someone else to get pregnant - since she actually committed treason in the book, Henry actually has a legitimate excuse to execute her now (well, based on the laws at the time). I was always able to feel sorry for Anne for getting killed because she never did anything wrong, but now she's actually done something to warrant it (like Katherine Howard later on). I also don't like that Anne thinks Mark confessed to take revenge on her. I don't like how mean the women in the tower are being to Anne (mostly because the writing is pretty rough). I guess I just plain don't like this part of the book, which is too bad because I've liked other stuff Norah Lofts has written.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments I agree that the book sort of deteriorated. The first part I could go along with, but after that I just didn't feel anything for any of the characters that I didn't bring to the book. I mean, I already had some feelings for/opinions of the various persons represented in the book, but nothing I found here changed or augmented that at all. All in all, it was a kind of boring read. Ack! What are we reading next month? :)

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments You're right Emily, it did turn into a boring read. Those last chapters just dragged on and on!