Russian Readers Club discussion

The Russian Booker

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (goodreadscomneedlesandherbs) | 45 comments It's this time of year again -
http://kommersant.ru/doc.aspx?DocsID=...

Shortlist here: http://russianbooker.org/news/35/

message 2: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Why did I give up studying Russian in college? Stupid, stupid, stupid me!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hayden Espenschade (lizok) | 17 comments Chrissie, I wrote a summary of the Booker shortlist (in English!). It's on my blog here.

message 4: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (goodreadscomneedlesandherbs) | 45 comments Oh, perfect, Lisa - thank you so much! You also probably read more of the list than the rest of us :)

message 5: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Lisa, thank you SO much!!!!

message 6: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Lisa, I tried to find the titles in English here on GR, and it didn't work. I am guessing they are not translated, right?

message 7: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (goodreadscomneedlesandherbs) | 45 comments Chrissie, this is Margarita - you are right. In most cases you have to type the title in Russian. you may try to type in an author's transliterated name and see what you can pull up that way... it's often a hit or miss, in my experience. I don't know if Lisa has a better method....

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hayden Espenschade (lizok) | 17 comments Yes, "hit or miss" is my experience, too: I find books through author names, book titles, and ISBNs. Some author names and book titles are in Cyrillic and others are transliterated.

message 9: by Chrissie (last edited Oct 22, 2010 10:34PM) (new)

Chrissie Margarita and Lisa, thanks for the advice. It IS hard finding these books in English. Don't I WISH I knew Russian..........

message 10: by Chrissie (last edited Oct 26, 2010 10:20PM) (new)

Chrissie I cannot learn another language now. I am struggling with French. I live in Belgium and often visit France. This is of prime importance. My feeble brain cannot learn several languages at the same time.AND I have a much easier time with written rather than verbal learning.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments Natalia wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Margarita and Lisa, thanks for the advice. It IS hard finding these books in English. Don't I WISH I knew Russian.........."

Do you know any good schools for learning Russian?"

Natalia - where are you located? If in the US, Middlebury College's summer language institute is excellent. It requires a pretty serious time commitment, though. There are plenty of other colleges and institutes with very good programs.

message 12: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (goodreadscomneedlesandherbs) | 45 comments and the winner is .... http://www.snob.ru/selected/blog/683

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hayden Espenschade (lizok) | 17 comments Thanks for the Snob link, Margarita: the discussion of the prize scandal is very interesting!

message 14: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (goodreadscomneedlesandherbs) | 45 comments Don't know if I will ever get to this particular book - sounds like it is a real mess, though, especially considering the Booker sponsorship by BP is about to end anyway. I'm a huge fan of historical fiction though - when Wolf Hall was voted in for the British Booker, I was totally happy - and it was by far one of the best books I've read in recent years. The both Booker choices this past year have been somewhat puzzling... But that, I guess, is partly what makes it so intriguing for all of us. And yes, Snob has some good reviews - they've gotten quite a bit of press lately (also b/c of the Prokhorov sponsorship http://nymag.com/news/features/66287/)
but so far the publicity seems to be well-deserved.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Richardson (paulerichardson) | 18 comments Well, it's not the Booker, but pretty good, and we're very excited: Our translation of Ilf and Petrov's Little Golden Calf won the 2010 Best Translation into English (from any Slavic language). "Ostap Bender never had it so good," the judges quip...

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna White | 2 comments Just wanted to greet everyone here! Hi guys!
:)

message 17: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (goodreadscomneedlesandherbs) | 45 comments Paul wrote: "Well, it's not the Booker, but pretty good, and we're very excited: Our translation of Ilf and Petrov's Little Golden Calf won the 2010 Best Translation into English (from any Slavic language). "Os..."

Very cool - thank you for sharing!

message 18: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (goodreadscomneedlesandherbs) | 45 comments And finally - about the Russian Booker choice and the state of Russian literary translaion... pretty brilliant review of the Abzats premium ... enjoy!
http://www.lenta.ru/articles/2011/03/...

message 19: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana | 8 comments I wish so much I could learn Russian. I study some on this site, which I've found helpful. Anyone know of any other good resources?

message 20: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (goodreadscomneedlesandherbs) | 45 comments Thank you for posting that link, Tatiana. I get asked a lot on how to go about learning Russian, and I am probably the worst person to ask - I never taught Russian to anyone - only English, funny as it sounds - I will pass the link on! Best thing is to start reading on the web and listening to Russia today TV or Ekho Moskvy Radio... Good luck!