What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Fifteen
This topic is about Fifteen
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Girl Wears Cashmere Sweater and Wins Boy [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Sue (suekerr) | 22 comments Juvenile fiction novel featuring a girl who was an only child with nice, hard-working parents who were able to give her a cashmere sweater which she cared for very carefully. Suddenly, one of the cool guys asks her on a date and she falls for him, all the while worried about his wealthier ex-girlfriend. The last scene, they are at an outside event sitting in the last row so they can slip out, but the principal sits next to them. He slips his ring on her finger and she's happy they are going together.

message 2: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara (snowytara) | 24 comments Is it "Fifteen" by Beverly Cleary?

message 3: by Recynd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Recynd | 18 comments Man, I am IMPRESSED...I read like a madwoman back in the day (YA in the early 80s...Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, Norma Klein, the Three Investigators series, Choose Your Own Adventure, then later, VC Andrews, Sydney Sheldon, Rona Jaffee, Jacquie (Jackie?) Collins. Valley of the Dolls.).

Anyway, the YA/70's-frank-look-at-sex-and-drugs all run together in my mind. I mean, I read "Mom, The Wolfman, and Me", "Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack", "Fifteen", "Deenie", "The Pigman", etc.

But how in the hell people can pull names out of their hat with the barest of hints: "Well, there was this book where a girl gets boobs, and I think she had a secret crush on a boy who had pouty lips..."

Anyway, color me impressed!