Booksfree discussion

Average Time between Shipping and Received

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katrina (new)

Katrina I just want to see what everybody's average time between shipping and received is for both return and packages out to you. If you could please list your location as well.

I live in Kansas City...on average it takes them 3-4 days to receive my returned books

My first set of books took 10 days to arrive, my second took about 15 days to arrive (counting weekends and holidays). and now I am 7 days into waiting for my 3rd set (I haven't checked mail in a few days, but I don't hold my breath for them to come anytime before like the 28th anywho).

It seems like at that rate, it really isn't cost efficient for me. It might be if I did one of the higher up plans, right now I have the $10.99/month option..I would love to do the $16.99 (2 shipments of 2) one a month but it is cost prohibited right now. Maybe that makes a difference on arrival times, I don't know.

Let me know what your averages are: Where you live? and maybe your plan as well.

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) I get 4 at a time for $16.99. Between reading and mailing times I get usually 6 books a month. So that is worth it to me! Usually 4 to 7 days either way. Sometimes longer. I am in Central PA, my books most likely go to the big hub near Pittsburgh.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 40 comments Mod
I started with the plan you want and currently have the same plan you do.
I'm in Greer, SC. Taking out the ones I had to report, my average is almost 4 days each way. That's actual calendar days. Turn around is usually a week, but there have been exceptions.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Mostly, on the 4 book plan I got 8 books a month and 4 books a month on the 2 book plan.
Only 2 for July and Sept because I had to report two shipments, one they didn't receive and one I didn't receive. But actually I got 6 in October because the other Sept package finally showed up.

message 5: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Does anybody know where their distribution centers are?

At the rate I get them I only receive 2 books a month which would basically cover the cost of the $11 a month if I went out and bought them, but not by much. Could living in an apartment perchance make a difference? Maybe upgrading might help. Hmm? Will have to see if I can rearrange some of the finances until I find a job to see if that is viable. Looks like I need to get cranking on some crafts for a wee bit more spending money.

message 6: by Deborah (new)

They only have one location in Virginia.
They have been having more problems with the shipping times than normal lately and they are trying to fix them. If you are a new member, you might want to give them a few months to see if it gets better.
You can report books you haven't received after 14 days, 28 days from when they shipped the books to report books they didn't get.

message 7: by Katrina (new)

Katrina It has been three weeks since they shipped them...already told them they are missing, so getting another order as well, been at least a week since that was sent.

message 8: by Deborah (new)

That sounds really bad, I know on the booksfree forums everyone defends booksfree and blames the post office, but it really doesn't matter whose fault it is, if you aren't getting books in a timely fashion, it's just not worth the money. If I have one more month of not getting four books, I'll consider dropping it.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) I started out with 2/month, upped to 4 and now I'm at 6. Average number of days seems to be 3 (actual shipping days not calendar days) there and 3 back. This is an improved time as it used to take about 5 or more days. I live in Greensboro and while I know it's a media mail distribution center my ship times have improved over the last few months. I'm actually getting my books in the same amount of time as my Netflix DVDs. As long as I don't dawdle on reading my books I get my money's worth.

message 10: by Katrina (new)

Katrina 3 days would be lovely, like I said I have been waiting since the 14th of October for one shipment and the 29th of Oct for a second "replacement" shipment.

Pretty sure I am going to cancel at the end of this month, I already have Nov paid for, but this is ridiculous. I really enjoy the service booksfree offers and the price they do it at but but it is to the point where I could just buy the books and still be out the same amount, at least I would get them instant-like. Looks like I may have to look into bookswim.

message 11: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Phew FINALLY received it.....it shipped on the 14th of Oct but received it yesterday the 5th of Nov, which is almost four weeks later. Pretty ridiculous and pretty sure this will be my last month with booksfree. It offers a great service but until it rearranges its shipping processes it is not viable.

message 12: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Decided to cancel, hopefully my most recent shipment gets here soonish because if I don't get it returned within 14 days I will have to pay for them.

Instead I am going to do booksfreeswap.com...even if it takes really long to get them, it will still be cheaper in the long run. I really like the service but not shipping times.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) I don't blame you. If it took a long time to get my books it wouldn't be worth it to me either. Ideally, they need two more centers, one on the west coast and one somewhere in the middle.

message 14: by Mckris10 (new)

Mckris10 I'm sorry about the lousy shipping times, I don't blame you for cancelling the service. My times are usually 5 days there/5 days to me, so not too bad I guess. It saves me a lot of money in the end. I agree, Carol, they do need more shipping centers...imagine how fast we would get the books then!

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) A center in Denver (or nearby) would probably be ideal for the middle and west. I bet more people would sign up if they could get books faster.

message 16: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Definitely, I would have kept my subscription to it. They obviously don't understand an obsession reader who constantly needs a book going.

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) I would cancel too, if I didn't feel I was getting my money's worth. Definitely! Glad you are trying the swap site, its a good one.

message 18: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Ha, wanna know a funny story. As soon as I canceled the service I get my books in a timely fashion, these only took 8 mail days to get to me. Oh Well, just gonna pop them in the return envelop and say good riddance. I would attempt to read them but I am also trying to get the Harry Potters reread and that is taking me longer than normal for some reason.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) Book Obsession thy name is...us. Just call us the BO Club. Well, on second thought, maybe a different name would be better. lol

message 20: by Mckris10 (new)

Mckris10 lol Yeah, I think a different name might be better...