Uglies by Scott Westerfeld discussion

Random > Ugly verses Pretty

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sella (last edited Jul 16, 2008 11:53PM) (new)

Sella Malin Does anyone agree with me when I say that I think that Tally was actually prettier as an ugly (in terms of book covers) then when she was a pretty and a special?

Also, has anyone seen the FULL cover of extras? OMG, Aya is SO pretty.

Scott needs to get his uglies and pretties right!!

---

Edit: Wait, I take what I said back...I get it now. The Uglies are SUPPOSED to be pretty. That's saying that to us, the Rusties, their Ugly is actually normal, or even pretty; but to them, it's actually ugly.

And so, I wonder if in the next few centuries, what we consider pretty right now will be considered ugly?

It's like when Shay and Tally were looking at old Rusty magazines in the Smoke library, and they were saying how ugly the models looked.

Is that what is going to happen to us?

message 2: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 385 comments I can't say... probably agree. but i can't find the full covers of the books on google or anything! annoying much?

message 3: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin go to this link:

http://www.behindthepulse.com/uglies/...

it shows you all of the full covers.

message 4: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Wait, I take what I said back...I get it now. The Uglies are SUPPOSED to be pretty. That's saying that to us, the Rusties, their Ugly is actually normal, or even pretty; but to them, it's actually ugly.

And so, I wonder if in the next few centuries, what we consider pretty right now will be considered ugly?

It's like when Shay and Tally were looking at old Rusty magazines in the Smoke library, and they were saying how ugly the models looked.

Is that what is going to happen to us?

message 5: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 385 comments I think so. Think about the eighties. Perms and all that stuff we think is stupid now. in like a century, that'll be considered ugly, like how old-fashioned dresses are ugly. In more that that, it'll be TERRIBLE. I agree with what you said sort of- I think she was pretty in both, they just have a different idea of pretty in the that time then we do now.
Thanks for the link! youre right, Aya is sooo pretty!

message 6: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Yeah...stuff in the eighties that they thought were pretty is not now, so that will probably happen to what we think now.

I know! I hope Aya never gets the operation, she doesn't need it!

message 7: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 385 comments ya, but she does change how she looks, she had purple hair one time or soemthing, remember?

message 8: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin what? im really confused...purple hair!?!?

message 9: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 385 comments I think so... it's been a while, but i'm pretty sure.

message 10: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin i don't remember that...

message 11: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 385 comments w/e

message 12: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Okay. :D

message 13: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 385 comments =D

message 14: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin XD

message 15: by Snowsong (new)

Snowsong (kdskid007) dont go slammin the 80's!!! tie-dye is AWESOME!!!! lol =P

message 16: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Lol XD

message 17: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin ur so old-making. thats totally bogus

lol XD

message 18: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) acualy, the 80s is kinda coming back. or am i thinking the 70s? But all the guys w/ long hair...yuck!
Anyway, when Shay and Tally were looking at the mags, Tally thought that some of the models looked prettier, or closer to what the pretties were like in the books.
Allie: I think purple hair sounds fimilair, but i don't remember it specificaly. If she had it though, I don't think ALL her hair was purple. Or was Nana's (is that her name? #1 in popularity...) purple? I don't remember.

message 19: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Maybe she did have a purple streak...

message 20: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) I've read Massie's Summer thing in the Clique series, and she get a purple streak. Maybe thats where it sound fimaliar from. I don't remember!! gaaaa!

message 21: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin I've heard a lot about the Clique series...for some reason, it never really interested me...

message 22: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 385 comments they're good.
and your right, they are kinda coming back, but boys here are kinda over that, evyerone cut their hair

message 23: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) The Clique series in postivily the most stupid series I have ever run across, yet I"m ditermined to finish it for some reason I don't understand.

message 24: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Allie, a lot of boys still have long hair...

Naomi, I think it's stupid too...I started reading the first one...bleh.

message 25: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) thanks. I espically hate Massie.

message 26: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Yeah.

message 27: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) lol. she's too rich and preppy.

message 28: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Yeah...the series kind of bored me. I was like, "okay, great, they make out with boys and get a few make overs. who cares? nobody's life is being threatened and there's no action scenes so buh-bye." lol.

message 29: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) lol. SO true!

message 30: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin :D

message 31: by Allie (new)

Allie (pearlrose95) | 385 comments i still like the clique.
and i meant HERE were i live like no boys have long hair anymore.

message 32: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin oh, okay.

message 33: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) lucky you. a TON of boys aroud HERE have VERY long hair.

message 34: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin it's average here...

message 35: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (catfanatic) lucky

message 36: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin lol

message 37: by Sarah, Does Nerdy George ♥ me? (new)

Sarah Parker (sarahlizaparker) | 729 comments Mod
UGLY

message 38: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Sella wrote: "go to this link:

http://www.behindthepulse.com/uglies/...

it shows you all of the full covers."

the picture for extras was that same as the cover, it only added more blue backgroud. the specials picture was the same too.

message 39: by Sarah, Does Nerdy George ♥ me? (new)

cool

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma | 6 comments i wuld luv to b pretty, but wuld hate to b dumb

message 41: by Sarah, Does Nerdy George ♥ me? (new)

totally

message 42: by Katy (new)

Katy (totalgilmoregirl) | 17 comments I wonder if this will happen to us....IDK. And Sella, WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? I didn't understand...exactly.