The Mighty Pen Writing Club discussion

The Creative Process > NaNoWriMo

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annalisa (last edited Oct 25, 2010 11:52AM) (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Anyone signed up for National Novel Writing Month? The website is www.nanowrimo.org. It's free. All you have to do is commit to write 50,000 in the month of November. There's forums, prizes, and place to update your word count to keep you on goal to finish that novel. Anyone done NaNoWriMo in the past?

message 2: by Arch (last edited Oct 20, 2010 04:23PM) (new)

Arch  | 90 comments I'm not doing it this year. It's 55,000 words this year? Last year it was 50,000. It was my first time doing it last year.

I'm working on a story that I want to focus on that's why I am not doing it this year.

message 3: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Yeah, sorry. It's 50,000. I don't know why I had 55,000 in my head.

message 4: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments That's okay Annalisa.

message 5: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 54 comments I'm doing it. I'm probably insane, but I'm doing it. Picked up No Plot No Problem today.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 104 comments I'm totally doing it!!! Hopefully I'll be able to juggle work and school and everything with writing!!!

message 7: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I really like NaNoWriMo! I joined the young writers program last year, and I reached my goal, only 10,000 words, but it's still fun! And I thought the website is nanowrimo.org?

message 8: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 54 comments It is. But the link corrects to the real one. I checked. :)

message 9: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) That's awesome! I've never tried writing something with someone else. I think it will be hard, because we have different writing style and ideas and stuff. Good luck to you!!

message 10: by Annalisa (last edited Oct 25, 2010 11:52AM) (new)

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Sorry. I always automatically type .com, but I'd pasted .org into the link so it works. And I fixed the text.

NaNoWriMo starts on Monday. I hope everyone is getting their ideas together.

message 11: by Ebehi (new)

Ebehi (hardlysimilar) | 6 comments I'm all pumped up!

message 12: by Ebehi (new)

Ebehi (hardlysimilar) | 6 comments By the way, my nanoname is emiyoha. Good luck y'all!

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess | 104 comments Suddenly I'm wondering if this is possible during college...but I'm still going to try it!

message 14: by Ebehi (new)

Ebehi (hardlysimilar) | 6 comments Jess wrote: "Suddenly I'm wondering if this is possible during college...but I'm still going to try it!"

Me too! I've been so swamped this week that I had to stay up until 5.30 am most nights so I could make some headway. I've finally reached 5000 words and I hope to do 7000 like Amber before the day runs out.

message 15: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments Everyone that's participating in the NaNoWriMo can do it. I'm not doing it this year. But, I'm cheering writers on.

message 16: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments Go writers.

message 17: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments I know that everyone that participated in NaNoWriMo is glad that it's over. If the Lord says the same, next year I will do it. I was focusing on my story Trespassing this year and didn't want to be doing another story at the same time. I tend to work on more than one story at a time, but not this time.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Newcombe (laurakbooks) I'm participating in NaNo this year. It'll be my first year so I'm nervous/excited.
I've already decided on what I'm going to write, so fingers crossed!

message 19: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments Good luck Laura.

message 20: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments Keep wrking and I'm sure u'll totally dominate!

message 21: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments Go for it Amber.

message 22: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments ya, totally!

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Nikka (hannahashworth) Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one already too excited for NaNo 2011 :) I'm having such a hard time deciding which story I'll use, it's killing me.

message 24: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Wow, you're actually lucky! I still haven't got an awesome enough idea for the novel and I am really excited to do it this year! I won NaNoWriMo Young Writers Program in 2009, but sadly I didn't participate in 2011. So I'm gonna make it up this year and do something great!

message 25: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments wat exactly is NaNoWriMo Young Writers Program?

message 26: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 54 comments Like NaNoWriMo Jr. You set your own word goal, I believe. (Website is here)

message 27: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Yeah, you should really join! I'm still deciding whether I'm gonna enter the YWP or the real one this year. Are you joining this year, Jordan?

message 28: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments I want to do NaNoWri this year, but I can't. I'll be too busy. I didn't do it last year, because I was busy as well.

message 29: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments wats the difference between NaNoWri and NaNoWri Jr?

message 30: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) In NaNoWriMo, the members must be at least 13 years old (I think), and their challenge is to write 50,000 words in a month. But in NaNoWriMo YWP, people of all ages can join and they don't HAVE to write over 50,000 words, they can choose their own target and so it's quite easier.

message 31: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 54 comments ayundabs wrote: "Yeah, you should really join! I'm still deciding whether I'm gonna enter the YWP or the real one this year. Are you joining this year, Jordan?"

Eh, I doubt it. I did CampNaNo, but I'll be incredibly busy with school (senior year!) and theatre (I hope), so November is probably a no-go. Good luck to anyone who does attempt it! :)

message 32: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments oooooo sounds fun! and u like theater??????????!!!!!!!! im a theatre fanatic! hahahaha

message 33: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) It is fun! I am also not so sure about finishing this year though, I'm in my last year of middle school and there will be lots of exams coming up as well...

message 34: by Maggi (last edited Aug 23, 2011 03:31PM) (new)

Maggi | 73 comments I'm absolutly sure tht u can make some sort of time 2 write :) It doesn't really take long. Just think of ideas in any random spare time and later, write them down during random times and when u don't have exams.

But easier said than dun, rite?

message 35: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Yes, exactly! One of my greatest problems in writing novels is that I usually write depending on my mood. When I'm feeling like I want to write, I'll write. But most of the time, when I sit in front of my laptop and decided I wanted to write, I couldn't!

message 36: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments ayundabs wrote: "Yes, exactly! One of my greatest problems in writing novels is that I usually write depending on my mood. When I'm feeling like I want to write, I'll write. But most of the time, when I sit in fron..."

If I'm not in the mood to write, I can't write.

message 37: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments sometimes I have to force myself to do it but sometimes that can make some of my best ideas.

message 38: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments I do 99% of my writing in my head. My story be in my head already, but still, if I'm not in the mood to write, I can't write and let me add, I don't write.

message 39: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments if ur writing is all in ur head than how can other ppl read it?

message 40: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments Maggi wrote: "if ur writing is all in ur head than how can other ppl read it?"

I type it and share my stories on Goodreads.

message 41: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Maggi wrote: "sometimes I have to force myself to do it but sometimes that can make some of my best ideas."

Wow, I can never do that!!

message 42: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments hahaha sometimes I get my inspiration from my dreams. Thoses r best stories

message 43: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) me too! But most of the time I forget them right after I wake up... :( that really sucks