Fans of Southern Literature discussion

A problem with Cormac Mccarthy

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 3 comments I keep trying to read some of his stuff, but wind up losing interest quick with some of them. I keep hearing how great he is but have so much interest getting through half of it. One problem I had was Blood Meridian. How did a book about ultra violence become so boring? I think my main problem came with some of the characters weren't as well developed as I expected, and dialogue was never Mccarthy's strong point in my opinion. I keep thinking maybe I shouldn't focus on characters as much. Perhaps my approach is wrong with this book. Maybe I should use the boy as my way to view the events that happen rather than about him altogether. That it's more about the judge than the boy altogether. If you can help me out with this. I really want to give it one shot and would like advice to make it more enjoyable. I feel like I am missing some thing or it's just completely overrated. Those seem the most likely. I know his language is great, but whats the point of doing that if I don't care about what you have to say.

message 2: by William (new)

William | 4 comments He is a great author. I put Blood Meridian 4th best of his books. I enjoyed Suttree and The Road much more.

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy Vasseur | 23 comments I found Blood Meridian very difficult to read and had to have a dictionary constantly by my side. I liked it the way I enjoy a strong hit of wasabi that makes my sinus sing with pain for several moments. I think what I enjoy about McCarthy are the technical gymnastics of language and words more than "plot". BTW, Thomas, I agree with what you wrote about the poor dialogue in The Road. I made fun of it in my review.

message 4: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 3 comments Ya I think I was trying to read straight through it like a normal novel and should treat it like an epic poem in a novel form. Mike the lectures were a real help. I have been reading a lot of larry mcmurtry, who is completely different style focusing on strong character development and narration rather than language. So it may be a new type of narration not used to. Well I am gonna give it another shot, hopefully ill have a different opinion

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric (Balsagoth) | 64 comments You know what I had to do with Blood meridian...not read the preview before each chapter. Once I gave up on those and let the chapter take form naturally I fell into a rhythm. I had to try three times with this book, but once I found that rhythm it was soooo hard to put down.

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric (Balsagoth) | 64 comments I regret that I have not read all of them a first time. I still need to get about 4 or 5 down. Sounds like a fun challenge though.