~Opinions~ discussion

Other > Adoption by Gay couples

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Okay, so I know this is somewhat tied with the gay Marrige thing. Even so, some people think that gay people can be allowed to marry, but not allowed to adopt kids. Some people think lesbian couples can, but not gay couples.

While I respect those opinions, I disagree. If a couple feels like they're ready to take on the responsibility of a child, they should have the possibility. Who are we to judge whether or not these people would do a good job? I think they should have exactly the same rights as any other human should, and that includes adopting a child.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely agree. If a couple (straight or not) fits the criteria for becoming adoptive parents, their sexual orientation shouldn't hinder them becoming parents.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Haha, 's no fun discussing with you Candace, we agree on almost everything XD

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

True, true. Haha, I'm agreeing again. Hm...well, I can't help it if you have amazing viewpoints on things. *shrugs* Maybe someone controversial will come in and blast our theories :P.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Oh yes, absolutely. There will for sure be someone who disagrees. That's the beauty of it. xD

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

That is definitely the point of this board. Well, I gotta go to work. It's 7:08 am here. I'll see you all later :). Well, um, I won't *see* you, but you get the idea ;).

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Haha, yes yes. See you. Or well, I might not be on for today and possibly tomorrow, as I'm sleeping at a friends house (holidays here).

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren i agree completley. There should be no discrimination.

message 9: by Kylee (last edited Oct 20, 2010 04:28PM) (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I think that saying a gay couple cannot adopt kids because they are gay, is like when people told African Americans they couldn't drink from the same water fountain as whites, just because they're African American. It's horrible and just a stupid, narrow-minded thing.

message 10: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Oh ummm no offense to anyone that disagrees with gay couples adopting. I'm not calling you stupid or narrow-minded, just the idea :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Very P.C., Rowan ;). But I agree (what can I say, I'm a generally agreeable person :P), saying someone isn't fit to raise a child based solely on their race or sexual orientation is wrong.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren i totaly agree Rowan, i was just learning about the segregation between whites and Blacks in history, all about the Jim Crow laws 'seperate but equal' when infact it was not equaland i think it does relate to this. I think discrimination is disgusting, one of my brothers is actualy gay, so thats probably why i feel so strongly about this in particular, but in general any kind of discrimination is wrong and pointless.

message 13: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I agree... I actually just wrote something on my blog that I think is kind of relevant here:

I wonder if there is more hatred in this world than love. People just have the tendency to automatically hate things that don’t understand, or don’t want to. Rather than embracing people that are different and trying to understand them, hate is automatic. Homosexuals, African Americans, people of different religions, they all have to live with a cloud of constant hatred hanging above them.

I used to think that love was more passionate than hatred, but now I don’t know. When I listen to things that have been done out of hate, fear, and anger, they seems to have more effect than things people do out of love and take for granted. I don’t understand why people really can’t get along and love each other for who they are. That sounds childish and stupid but it’s true. And the fact that no one has a good answer makes me sad. We hate automatically and without thinking. But to love it takes an effort and time, something we ponder before we let our hearts really feel. Why is that? It just seems so wrong.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think that sounds stupid at all, Rowan. I feel the same.

message 15: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) You're so agreeable about everything haha :) But it seriously makes me sad when you think about it.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, it is sad that the world has come to this judgmental, ignorant, insulting place. And, yeah, I know I sound Disney-Vanilla for saying this, but I do freakin' wish we could all just get along. There, I said it.

Can't we all just get along :).

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren haha i agree completley, we should all beable to get along. There should be no higher archy! (sorry if i spelt that wrong, i am terrible at spelling lol) :P

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hierarchy...
In case you were wondering ;).

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Thank you! haha i should of looked it up before i typed but i couldnt be botherd lol :P

message 20: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) We all got what you were saying anyways :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Eh, I'm kind of a spelling/grammar hall monitor. I don't mean to, but I'm always mentally spell/grammar-checking things :P.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I like having someone to correct me, because other wise i would never know y mistakes lol. And i make many my spelling sucks :P

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I've had people tell me to correct them in the past, but then they got mad at me for doing it too often :P.

message 24: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 56 comments i was unsure about this at first .. but i agree don't see why anybody shouldn't beable to :)

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments nph just adopted twins!!! its sooo cute of him to do that!! :)

message 26: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I kinda feel that gay couples should have more of an opportunity to adopt children that other couples. Just because gay couples don't have the chance to actually have their own children, so it seems fair for them to have a better opportunity to adopt.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Fariha wrote: "nph just adopted twins!!! its sooo cute of him to do that!! :)"

Can I just say that he is one of my favorite people alive? He seriously can do no wrong. XD

I believe that gay couples should be allowed to adopt.

I also believe that opposing gay adoption is a slightly more respectable position than opposing gay marriage. People who oppose gay adoption generally do so because adoption affects more than just the couple; it affects the child as well. They oppose it out of concern for the child. People who oppose gay marriage, however, generally oppose it because their scriptures say so, or because they find the idea of gay marriage unpleasant or gross, even though it only affects the two who decide to marry. I don't agree with either position, but I find one more respectable than the other.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments "Can I just say that he is one of my favorite people alive? He seriously can do no wrong. XD"

hear hear!!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 244 comments Fariha wrote: ""Can I just say that he is one of my favorite people alive? He seriously can do no wrong. XD"

hear hear!!"

Yay!

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael | 43 comments It should be aloud because, why should you exclude them? They have as many rights as we have. And If your gay then do what ever the hell you damn want to! And If your bi... I'm going off topic!

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael | 43 comments Yeah it could help them

message 32: by KB (new)

KB Love is our weapon (kaitybugs) | 23 comments I believe that gay adoption is just like a single father without the emotional background x2!

Elton John and his gay husband adopted a boy! They say he's "rejecting the breast like his two fathers" it's so cute! And guess who the godmother is? Lady Gaga! My two idols, Elton John and Lady Gaga!