FrostFans - The Official Jeaniene Frost Fansite discussion

Book Discussions > One Foot in the Grave - A Night Huntress Book 2 *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I'm only on Chapter 4 but this book is turning out just about as good to me as the first one. I am typically not a person that enjoys the romance aspect of books cuz I get all squeamish about it but Bones and Cat are amazing together. He hasn't returned yet but Cat is kicking ass all by her lonesome.

Any thoughts?

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) I really enjoyed the first book in the series, but I don't think the characters grew enough in this one. Kat seems to have regressed and lost all of the maturity that she gained in the first book, and spends most of this one drinking heavily and refusing to think before acting. I'm really torn, because I like the universe Frost has set up, and I love Bones, but I wanted to strangle Kat. :(

message 3: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Oh wow, that sucks that you felt like that. I thought Cat got a little annoying with all the "oh and we're sleeping together!" everytime Bones was mentioned. I hated that Cat fought with Annette over what she said about Bones being a freak and having been with lots of women. I thought that was super petty and honestly, I got annoyed at Bones in this one because he kept on bringing these women into the situation when he used to shag said women! He didn't have any guy friends he could call on?

I thought Cat jumped to conclusions one time in this book and that was when she told Ian she wanted to take on her father. She doesn't know Vamp politics and it seems quite confusing so if she would have screwed herself, that would have been her own fault.

I also didn't like that they turned Dave into a ghoul. WTF did that come from?

message 4: by Delilah (new)

Delilah Stephans | 17 comments I liked that they brought Dave back. I think the reason for it will become clear in Book 3 At Graves End. Also it balances the team. 1 Vampire, 1 half Vampire, 1 Ghoul, and 3 "enhanced" humans.

The challenging of Max was a really stupid move on Cat's part and it showed her ignorance of Vampire Society. Which in a way is a good thing, it knocked her down a peg on the "I know everything about vampires" attitude.

As for Annette - agreed Cat let her bother her way too much. By getting all defensive she showed a distrust of Bones and her own low self estime... course that last is completely Justina's fault.

I'm also waiting to find out how Justina reacts to Cat's marriage to Bones.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) The jealousy thing got on my last nerve. Maybe I just would have reacted differently, but I kept thinking, "Jeez, Cat, just blow the bitch off! That'll annoy her even more!"

Stephanie, I nearly cheered when Cat got taken down a notch when she challenged Max. It was like she FINALLY had to own up to her actions and the problems she causes when she doesn't use her brain.

I like that Cat is flawed, because perfect heroes are boring. I just hope that in the next book Cat works on improving those flaws a bit instead of reveling in them. Urk.

message 6: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Stephanie, since you put it that way about Dave, I guess I can agree to a point. I'm just not up for ghouls. Ghoul sounds so...gross. LOL.

I thought it was completely lame that she tried to challenge Max without discussing it with Bones first. And I did actually feel some kind of relief at the fact that she DID get knocked down a peg. She almost lost him AGAIN and for what? Revenge!

The jealousy thing was a pain but again, I can blame Bones for that. He reacted the same way to dudes that she hadn't even slept with but here he goes bringing competition into the mix. I know he has guy friends he could have called instead of some chick he changed over and did freak shit with.

I think Justina is going to FREAK and I really hope that Cat questions her about what Max told her. I have a feeling he's not lying, either.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmicheal) | 1 comments I was going to get rid of the first book in the series until I read the second. I liked the second so much better - loved it actually. I like where the series is going and was glad to see that Bones is going to be a character with a lot of presence in the series rather than the unrequited love that the first book ended with.

Anyone have any info on when the next is coming out?

message 8: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) In January!

message 9: by Delilah (new)

Delilah Stephans | 17 comments At Graves End releases December 30. I'm SO looking forward to ringing in the new year with Bones.

Ranata -

Ghouls don't bother me - maybe because I started reading vampire novels with Chelesa Quinn Yarbro's St. Germain Chronicles and loved the Ghoul Rogerio... Also as Bones says - does it matter what your friend eats? Frankly, I find eating raw oysters gross - but lots of folks I know love them. At least Jeaniene's ghouls don't have to constantly eat human flesh and they aren't the mindless zombies of a lot of ghouls.

message 10: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) It's not about what he eats that bothers me. Ghouls just generally seem grosser to me than being vampire. I didn't like the fact that they brought him back after 3 months of being buried. I guess that's why I didn't like that part of the book.

I'm looking forward to spending NY with Bones myself so I am so ready!

message 11: by Delilah (new)

Delilah Stephans | 17 comments LOL well as the daughter of a mortician, I find it amazing that after he went through the embalming process the process still worked. I could get all technical - but it would be a case of TMI

message 12: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I hope that since he did go thru the embalming process, she writes something about effecting him, like making him smart or faster or able to read minds or something. LOL. I read another book where the guy got embalmed before he rose from the dead as a vamp and I thought it was brillant.

And Suzann, you and me are friends because we think alike, LOL.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I'm just going to jump in with my two cents. One I think Dave being a ghoul will definately strengthen the team in a way that noone expected and two I felt from book one that Justina was lying about being raped( Her hatred for vamps felt like a love gone wrong), so I can't wait to read what she says when Cat confronts her.

message 14: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) That's funny Jael because I really thought she just hated vamps because of the rape but to find out she might be lying and a hypocrite to boot, yeah, this should be good.

I hope you're right about Dave because i just didn't like that ending very much.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Ranata- I thought it weird that the group would want him back as a ghoul. I just want to see how the whole Unce thing plays out in the next book. That was a wth! revelation for me. I wonder how Justina going to like that news as well.

message 16: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jael, good to know I wasn't the only one strangely bothered by them bringing him back. Considering how they felt about "freaks", wouldn't they just as well leave him buried, and after 3 months?! Just didn't sit well with me. Hope it works out.

And I wonder how the "marriage" will play out in the future.

My most favoritest part was the wedding scene when she saw Bones again for the first time. So weird how that worked out!

message 17: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb | 19 comments I did like when Cat broke Annette’s spine though lol that was hilarious and then she comes back down the stairs and Annette’s still on the floor and Cat says something to the extent of “Oh I’m not going to fall for that”. Oh I was so mad when I found out Bones got freaky with Annette! If he just would have waited a little bit longer then he and Cat would have been together again and neither would have been with anyone else since they last saw each other. Oh and how he made out with that bridesmaid just to hurt Cat. You don’t do that to someone you love!

I think it’s cool they turned Dave into a ghoul and I can’t wait to see how he progresses with his new powers and eating habits. Although I thought he took being dead a little too easily.

It was stupid that Cat opened her mouth about Max, but if she didn’t then her and Bones would not have got married; in this book lol. I also can’t wait to see what Justina has to say about Cat seeing Max and not killing him, and also find out if he really raped her or not. You know she’s going to flip when she finds out about Cat and Bones lol; I hope Cat punches her again.

message 18: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Well, Bones didn't actually get freaky with her, he just oral sexed her. I could forgive him for that. What I was pissed off about with him was that he kept on calling on his female friends that he's sexed for help when he got pissed at Cat's platonic friend (I forgot his name) and broke Danny's hand. He didn't expect her to be jealous especially with Annette picking at her. He saw how Annette was trying to antagonize Cat but he leaves her alone with her anyway. I still think Cat was very petty for fighting Annette like that but what can you do, it's how the author wrote her. And about him making out with the bridesmaid, I didn't feel bad for Cat because she left him. For 4 years. She left him for a stupid reason. He could have handled himself and Don and Tate and whoever else stood in the way. He was getting back at her, seeing if she still felt for him.

I agree that Dave took being dead too easily. He took them turning him in a ghoul wayy too calmly for my taste. That was very unrealistic the way that scene was written and I didn't like the end, honestly. Bones' past whoring ways, Cat being petty and Dave being a Ghoul were all things I did not like.

I forgot about Cat punching her mother. LOL. She deserved it. It'll be funny if she punches her for freaking out and punches her for lying about being raped and making her hate her father for no reason all these years.

message 19: by Delilah (new)

Delilah Stephans | 17 comments As for Dave taking it calmly... I don't think it had hit him yet. He was kind of "But I don't feel like I died." His reaction was like people I've seen with severe injuries at first the shock and adrenalin keep them from really feeling it. I expect his real reaction will be in At Graves End.

message 20: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Yeah, I figured she'd explore that more in At Grave's End because he just about shrugged and said "oh, that's cool. let's go!" and they all skipped out into the sunset. LOL

message 21: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb | 19 comments I noticed that in the beginning of the book Cat says its been 4 years since she’d seen Bones and then later in the book it turns into 7 years?

message 22: by Delilah (new)

Delilah Stephans | 17 comments Originally Jeaniene had planned for it to be 6 years... but the editor said that was too long. Obviously, in the edit they missed one.

message 23: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) 4 was too long to me! I didn't like the time shift at first but I'm kinda glad it didn't start off immediately following HTTG.

message 24: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 15 comments I think it worked out perfectly timing it years later. We didn't have to go through the training of her team all over again and the apprehension the guys probably had toward Cat. We come in, the team is strong and it's off to action.

I loved the fight with Annette. I think I may have cheered out loud because I was thinking, c'mon Cat, don't let her talk to you like that. I think (just as Cat got knocked down off her pedestal with the whole taking on Max thing and admitting to being a vampire) Annette needed to be knocked down a few pegs.

I loved every single thing about this series so far. No complaints. I am curious how Dave the Ghoul is going to work out. And I know the word Ghoul sounds so gross, but we have to seperate how we traditionally know what a ghoul to be from how Frost created them. Just like the Golden Compass, their souls were called Demons, took me some time to sort that all out. :)

message 25: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Jessie, I felt it was SO HIGH SCHOOL of her to attack Annette first. My mother has alawys said, don't pass the first hit, let the other person do it so you're justified in kicking their ass! LOL.

I don't think she proved anything to Annette except for the fact that she could get her goat and prompt her to fight her anytime she felt the need to say anything about what she's done with Bones. That made my admiration for Cat drop a little because i've never felt the need to fight another woman over a man. She should have been mad at BONES for leaving her with her for one and for two, for asking for her help when he knew they had a history. it's like he WANTED her to get on Cat's case.

I guess I'm not that petty so I didn't want my heroine being that way over words. But hey, it's just my opinion. Those little irritations won't stop me from reading the series. I loved these books!

message 26: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 15 comments It was a little High School, but as noted at one point, the vamps are very territorial. Bones wanted to kill Timmy just for being nice to Cat. I think a little "cat" fight *tee hee hee* was just another part of that "my property" mentality they all have. Cat fought her to show she could handle herself and that Bones was hers not and not Annette's.

message 27: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) She didn't prove anything but that she has the power to kick Annette's ass. She still can use that "Oh but I did him more times than you can count" so everytime Annette or any of Bones' other "conquests" come up to her with that she's gonna fight them? I personally think Timmy liked Cat as more than a friendly neighbor but Bones was out of line. They both need to come grow up in that aspect.

That whole my property business is creepy to me but I digress. Bones wasn't as nearly as territorial as Edward Cullen in Twilight. LOL

Cat got knocked down 2 notches on my love her o meter because of the childish "he's mine, u may have had him once but i got him all the time" attitude and again after she challenged Max. We're all bound to make mistakes but that totally left me with a bad taste in my mouth for awhile.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Ranata- That's funny. my mother always told me hit first, make it hard and then follow up. LOL But anyway I agree with you Cat shouldn't have let Annette get to her. It made me think of Cat as a little girl because it was clear that Annette was jealous and just trying to get underneath her skin. Cat still has growing up to do but I did love that fight scene it was hilarious!

message 29: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Okay, I will admit that the fight scene was hilarious, especially when she was like "And THAT Annette, is what you call Pilates!" as Bones burst thru the door.

My mother used to be a heavy duty fighter (I've even seen her fight a woman that disrespected her when i was about 10) so I guess that motto worked because once the other person hit her first, she'd work them over something awful. I have never gotten into a physical fight with anyone (unless you count my sister) and I've never fought over a guy so the whole thing was petty to me. Annette was obviously trying to get her goat ever since she stepped off the plane and she bit into it so well. And then back to Bones and why he left them alone to begin with. If Cat had killed her, it would have been mostly his fault.